Colleges for Musical Theatre Major --- Part 11

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: Colleges for Musical Theatre Major --- Part 11
By Shauna (Shauna) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

Continued from Part 10

We just keep going!

Shauna

By Wct (Wct) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Hi Shauna,
Have you called CMU to find out when your letter went out? If you don't see anything by Monday morning maybe you should call.

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Hey guys... just thought i'd tell you all that i received the small skinny envelope today from CMU... hehe! Wasn't expecting good news at all. We started off on the wrong foot to begin with. So I'm not surprised, or disappointed. Good luck to everyone else!

Angie

ps. Small/Skinny = rejected. in case that wasn't clear.

By Wct (Wct) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Dear Angie,

Sorry to hear your news. I know that those small envelopes don't always have the news you want inside, and even though you aren't surprised by it, it still "stings" a little.

I know you will be happy attending the school you choose to go to. Let us know where you decide to end up.

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Thanks for your sympathies, Wct. It did "sting" (btw, nice way of putting that) just a little but i've still got NYU and BOCO to hear from. Plus I have OCU under my belt. So, in the grand scheme of things, I do have somewhere to go, which is relieving.

Shauna -
I wish I had the balls to check the decision online... I couldn't even get past typing in my BIO ID. but hey, best of luck to you on CMU!!! I'll be thinking about you!

By Katiem (Katiem) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

I just got my CMU letter. I got on the priority waitlist as well! Oooof... I guess I'm just a waitlist girl. Michigan and now CMU! All those who got accepted Congratluations! And Cait congrats as well! I'm so proud of us!
-Katie

By Shauna (Shauna) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Hey, Katie, congrats! Wct, it says on that site they haven't even sent the letter yet. I had thought that maybe I was checking the wrong place, but nope. So I dunno.

Acavallo, don't worry honey. *hugs*

Shauna

By Shauna (Shauna) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Well, immediately after I posted that, I got my rejection letter from CMU, my dream school.

Shauna

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Folks, Just found a school (with an MT major) that I don't recall anyone mentioning here before:

http://www.coastal.edu/theater/dgreq.html

jrmom

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Uggg... I may be priority waitlisted at Carnegie, but i just got rejected from Webster... how does that work? I so wanted that to be my backup, they offered me a 7500 scholarship.... bah... oh well...
Odd how I got waitlisted at the more prestigious school, but rejected from a less-known...
Odd, indeed.
But, oh well... I'm happy about CMU!!!
Let's keep our fingers crossed Katie!!!
~Cait

By Wct (Wct) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Dear Shauna,

My heart goes out to you today. I wish there was something I could say or do. If I could I would give you a big hug!!!!

You have a wonderful scholarship to UNT. If you should decide to go there, and after your first semester you still feel the way you do now about CMU, audition for CMU again. If it is really what you want don't give up!

Maybe you won't relate to this now, but I know someone who wanted another school very badly, (first choice) last year and was not accepted. This person made a decision to go elsewhere and is now so happy that when I asked if this person wanted to audition again for the other school the answer I got was no. Maybe this is how you will feel down the road, but if not, audition again if you still feel the way you do now.

I know today will be tough. Everyday after this will get better. Keep your head up. We are all behind you and we know you are going to do great things.

By Sarahsmom (Sarahsmom) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Soozievt - it sounds like your daughter has a very good sense of what she wants, and she is taking a very exciting college trip. I am sure she will learn a lot on her visit. I know for us that I shared a lot of info with Sarah when she went thru this, but a good part of her decisions were emotion focussed, or at least from info other than from me, so when she made her mind up - yes or no - about a program, it usually stuck! I hope the SAT's went well for her, and the process goes well for all of you.....

Best wishes......

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Shauna,
I am so sorry about CMU! But you know, it just takes one acceptance to be on your way. Remember: college is just a stepping stone to where you really want to be. If you want to perform badly enough, you will. You just have to make use of the resources you're given. I know that UNT may not be what you were expecting, but it might just be the best thing that ever happened to you! And hey, as of right now, you are definately one step ahead of me: I haven't been accepted anywhere yet. I wish you the best of luck!
Keep your head up high!
~Cait

By Shauna (Shauna) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Well Caitie, I have no colleges left. I know I won't get into dance-based Point Park and I can't afford to go to NYU, so I'm going to UNT. And honestly, I don't even feel like I was accepted there because they didn't even have auditions for their program. I got into the school, whoop dee doo, I could have gotten in anywhere. I know that sounds horrible because there are tons of kids that would kill to get the chance to go to college at all, but it's the truth. My grades and SAT's are easily Ivy League status and I honestly feel nothing from getting a full ride to UNT because I didn't even get it from my hard work throughout high school. I got a good score on one test, and that's why I got the scholarship. This probably sounds conceited and selfish but it's the honest truth. I appreciate all the good thoughts (Wct too) but right now I just feel like I should never be allowed to step on a stage again. I hate the pity I get from everyone at school, I hate feeling like I suck, and I just hate it. I'm sorry for venting; I just am so full of bad feeling right now that I can't stand it.

Shauna

By Wct (Wct) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Shauna-

It is OK to vent. That is why there are boards like this so you can vent and get feedback.

Here is some more feedback. Take it for what it is worth.

This is a tough business. Full of rejection. If you love performing then PERFORM. Keep training. Keep doing it. You have got to look past today and move on. Lots of people have been where you are. Some give up and some pick themselves up and keep going. You have the same choice. You have got to believe in yourself and your abilities. You can go to UNT without the financial burden and keep singing/acting and dancing. Keep going to auditions. Keep doing what you have been doing and then re-audition for the school(s) that you want to attend. Make a plan and stick to it but DON'T EVER GIVE UP!

By Brdwydiva05 (Brdwydiva05) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Jrmom:
Here's a little info about Coastal Carolina. It has a great location (Myrtle Beach) and a pretty good program. I'm getting ready to apply to this school as a backup. Their Musical Theatre major is a relatively new program. I live a few miles away from this college and I have been really proud of the growth it has made within the last few years. They have a brand new performing arts building with a very nice black box. The professors there are very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the performances they put out are not the highest quality. The theatre department itself is changing, but is still weak. The main musical theatre professor, Greg London, is a fantastic director and has brought a lot to the program.

I tend to babble a lot so let me try to summarize"
Coastal:
-good location
-growing program with a lot of promise
-still some weaknesses
- overall a good liberal arts college

Hope that helps!!

-Ash

By Brdwydiva05 (Brdwydiva05) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Oh- is anyone else still waiting to hear from Otterbein? I'm thinking about calling them. -Ash

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Shauna....I feel like giving you a huge hug right now. I totally understand everything you wrote. Your feelings are valid. The two posts by WCT to you above are soooooooooooooooo right on. I could never say it as well as she did. Her advice about this is where it is at. You ARE going to go on to do great things in this field. This was just one set back. You can still study theater next year. You may love that school. You might transfer. If performing is in your soul, do not give up cause these VERY selective schools did not give you an admission this year. When some of these programs take ten girls, and tons applied who are talented like you, the odds are strikingly difficult. It does NOT mean you do not have the talent.

Please keep at it and devise goals and plans along the way. You can rise up after you have your chance to feel upset over this set back. Your work up til now was not in vein. You are what you are. The acceptances are not the end all and be all of your life. It is very disappointing to not get this one thing you were after but keep working and success of one sort or another will be yours, I am sure of it. You are someone who has what it takes, I can tell from your posts. Your intellect alone will take you places. The theater world has many avenues to get where you want to go. You still can go after that dream. Plus, this field has tons of set backs and rejections. Only the strong will survive. The rejections are part of this area. But the passionate performer will keep going cause she loves the stage. Next year at this time, it could turn out that you are loving your college program. You might be a shining star in that program. You might use it as a stepping stone to something else. All is NOT lost.

But it is ok to cry for now. Then move on to your next plans. Reread what WCT wrote.....it is perfect for you.

Best to you Shauna...you seem like a terrific young lady!
Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

Sarahsmom, thanks for your lovely post. I learn alot here from others' college process and experiences and then, like you say, the process then becomes individualized to suit each kid's needs and desires. We shall see....it is an adventure. Off to NYC tomorrow. I'm sure she will have a good time considering this visit involves friends on campus attending Tisch. She is even staying in the dorms. I have no idea what I will do for the evening alone in the city, will be sorta weird. Will let ya know how it goes. It is hard in a way for me to feel that immersed in this process yet cause this coming week is a major week in my seventeen year old daughter's life as she will be getting all her college decisions and then having to make her decision where to go and perhaps revisit some places if she wants to or go to admitted students open houses. My mind is more on that truthfully as it is coming to a climax and has been an 18 month process basically. This other one is just starting out but later than I would normally like to but I had no idea til recently that she would graduate a year early (her idea!).

Susan
PS, she thought the SATs went pretty well. She has never even taken the PSATs!

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:38 am: Edit

Shauna,
I"ve been following your posts and can imagine that we might be in your situation next year. I'm really sympathetic.

I noticed that Coastal Carolina has rolling admissions (you could still apply) and you could even phone the financial aid people and talk to them. It looks like reading their website that they are still taking financial aid AND enrollment applications.

http://www.coastal.edu/admissions/faqs.html
http://www.coastal.edu/financialaid/
http://www.coastal.edu/financialaid/COA2004.html

Admissions office number is: (800) 277-7000

I'm just throwing this out in case you're at all interested. As people have said, this looks like an up and coming program, brand new theater, etc.

best of luck - keep posting

jrmom

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:57 am: Edit

Shauna,
Here's two other programs that look like they might still be taking applications:

1) http://www.theatre-dance.ecu.edu/Degree_Programs-Classes/Musical_Theatre/Musical_Theatre.html

2) http://www.millikin.edu/theatre/degree/mtheatre/
January-March
Fine Arts Talent Award auditions
(800) 373-7733.
http://www.millikin.edu/theatre/audition/index.html

This one says auditions end March 29, but you can still apply as a BA and then audition for the BFA program later. Worth a call?

jrmom

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:23 am: Edit

Shauna,
OK, this is my last post this morning! SUNY Fredonia holds their last MT auditions on April 17. They also have rolling admission. You'd have to call them right away to set it up. 716-673-3596. Their website is down today but I have the info printed out.
jrmom

By Allthatjazz70 (Allthatjazz70) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

Hey Everyone!
I'm a long time reader but i just wanted to post my good news that I was accepted into Shenandoah's Musical Theater Program yesterday! I visted the school and loved it and they seem to have such an excillent program that im surprised its never mentioned here. Did anyone else audition?

-Jen Guhl-

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Shauna, I will post more fully on the subject, but I do want to tell you specifically that there are so many ways to a theatre career and this is just one setback of many that will come your way as they will come to all entering the field. The reason a MT major is desirable is that it is often a one stop shop for kids and families. You don't have to put together a program for yourself as you have limited choices in most of these programs. There are advantages to putting a program together yourself at a school where you can also have more opportunities at performance as I would think North Texas would not restrict your audition activities as many of these programs do for the first year or two. You can find out what areas you need to strengthen and focus on them directly, take some course you also like, EXCELL, which I am sure you will do with your great academic record and work ethic and it is all for FREE, not that $45k tab that many are paying and for a year when their performance activities will amount to sweeping th stage, strike, and understudying, if they are lucky. You can hone in on the weaknesses of your skillsets and have a year where you can decide whether you want to try again, or learn what you canfromUf NTexas. where I'm sure you'll have many theatre activities. Perhaps you can apply to another school where your transcripts will get you in (as you are a good student and sure you will be at UNT)without auditions but has an excellent theatre, not necessarily MT program. Or try to transfer to Northwestern where you audition for the program after your freshman year (I believe, have to double check,am just looking at S's notes). With your outstanding record, you will have so many options available to you and a year to bolster your credentials. Transferring to an ivy league school after a year at UNT is certainly an option if you keep up the high grades. Ivies look for kid who are coming from schools where they feel they may possibly exhaust their academic resources, not for ones looking to transfer from one ivy equivalent to another cuz "they don't like it". Or you can stay at UNT with that free ride and do very well there. I do not believe that is necessarily a handicap. Good luck what ever you decide to do. I truly believe you can make this work to your advantage.

By Mtmommy (Mtmommy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Shauna:

You are getting such great advice here! We are all pulling for you because we can see that you really have what it takes to succeed. Biographies of many big stars tell us that true success comes only after what we learn from our non-successes. You are such a smart person with such wonderful attributes that you will use what you learn from this experience to reach for the stars beyond those who have things fall into their laps. The advice on this board is varied and gives you choices. Now is the time to as Soozievt says to have a good cry, but then "regroup" and move forward with even more determination to your goals. We're all expecting big things of you!

By Mtclc (Mtclc) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

MTpop-
I am not sure if you are still following this thread, but I just read your post about OU in part 9 or 10 and wanted to add my input.
I was accepted to both OU and OCU and decided to go to OU. They have had 3 faculty members move over from OCU, including Lyn Cramer, who worked in the dance department. Lyn trained many of OCU's stars and gave me some wonderful input. She said that OU likes to work on each individual's weakness whereas at OCU, you have big classes and learn many things that you might already know. She said OU is very nice to work with because it is one huge, supportive family. OCU's department's fight with each other and you do not have as much fexiblilty with your curriculum.
Also, it is important to remember that OCU has a graduate program, so if your child is looking to perform in college, it is not guaruanteed. OU is all undergraduates, and they actually have a Freshman transfer playing the lead in their spring production of Chess. OU does not have a prestigious name, but it is growing and more of their graduates are landing Broadway shows. It is only 10 years old, so this is why it is taking a while to grow. Everyone was so nice at the audition and it is DEFINITELY a school to look into. Hope this helps!

By Rocksolid4 (Rocksolid4) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

Hey guys-
I'm not even sure what my real question is, much less how to phrase it, but I figure I'd put my lack of introspection in this area aside and try to formulate my ponderings...
I'm a Junior male who loves just about everything he gets involved with - a blessing and a curse. I'm never short on things to do, but in terms of "picking a college" I lack direction in that I have no idea what I want to do with myself. I DEFINITELY want to have an academic training, but I am obsessed with singing, and specifically, singing musical theatre (I am not exaggerating when I say that over the summer I sang for 5 hours a day to improve my technique and because I loved it - my voice teacher nearly killed me for that ( : but that's another story)...

not to be arrogant, but I do have the grades and test scores to be at the top of any applicant pool, and I'm an All-American swimmer, so admission to an elite academic program, while never a sure shot for anybody, is certainly a feasible goal. According to people more knowledgeable than myself, I'm probably an above-average singer, an average actor, and a below-average dancer. I don't know when auditions take place for programs, but I am going to be doing work on singing and acting this summer (dance is more incidental), so hopefully I'll improve. I know I'll never be a "triple threat," and my opportunities for acting are too limited to really excel at it - so I don't need a "top" musical theatre program; in fact, it would probably be detrimental. I guess my question is, which ivy-level (academically) colleges make it easy for reasonably good but not elite kids to stay involved in musical theatre, and perhaps even get a few decent parts? Opportunities for double majoring in an academic and musical theatre would be even better, but not a requirement by any means. Non-rural, with a social scene not limited to alcohol, if possible. Don't know if many (if any) fit these criteria, but that's why I'm here asking.

sorry for hte long and arrogant post, I appreciate whatever assistance anyone can give. Congratulations to everybody on acceptances, this is hte friendliest message board thread (this one and twinkle's) that I've probably ever seen, out of here, ESPN, various voice forums and sports forums - 10 total probably...

so thank you very much, and good luck to all of you

T

By Cbs57 (Cbs57) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

The letters from Hartt are out. A friend of my son's got his acceptance letter last Monday and my daughter's boyfriend got his on Saturday. Good luck to everyone with their acceptances and decisions!!

By Nickdad (Nickdad) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

Dear Mtclc:

I don't know where you received your information about OCU but you are unfortunately wrong.

OCU DOES NOT have big classes. If you read their material upon your acceptance and/or attended any of their visit days, you would see that the teacher to student ratio is 14 to one. We observed two classes - a theory class and a dance class, each woth no more than 11 to 14 students. On the other hand, since OU is a public institution (which we also checked out), we saw MT classes with as many as 25 students in them. OCU is about small class size and personal attention- two words that I would not associate with OU at all.

You also make the ridiculous claim that since OCU has a successful graduate program, undergrads do not get the chance to perform. Where in the world did you invent this information? We saw a wonderful production of the Merry Widow a few months ago and in the leads and supporting and chorus were all UNDERGRADUATES...including a freshman male who had one of the leads...and he told us that was his THIRD show of the year. OCU,more than another other college we visitied, offers every student plenty opportunities to perform..granted that they meet the role requirements. They stage two main stage musicals (including the first college production of "Sussical" west of the Mississippi next spring..one of four unvicersities to be granted the rights!), plus two in concert styled readings. Above that, they offer a a musical theater workshop where they workshop new musicals and perform scenes from classics. On top of that, they bring in national casting directors (like the guy who casts "Boy From OZ", "Oklahoma" who holds classes every year).

In short, I'm glad you enjoy OU. However, if you're going to make claims that you state as the truth, you need to make sure you have your facts straight. Just cause you hear something "from a friend" doesn't mean it's fact. I'm pleased that our son will be going to a university that, unlike OU, you are a name, not a number.

By Mtheatremom (Mtheatremom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Nickdad,
Thanks for your last post. My daughter is seriously considering going to OCU. I was concerned after reading Mtclc's post. Glad you had your information - b/c I was surprised by his - it didn't sound like OCU at all.
Happy to hear your son is going to OCU!
Mtheatremom

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Rocksolid, I know many swimmers at the ivies and they find it impossible to do much in the way of participating in theatre. D-1 swimming and theatre or any of the performing arts does not mix well and if the coach gets a whiff of theatre aspirations he would get antsy about offering you a spot on his team.

Actually with any NCAA sports participation, it is difficult to do theatre. My son is a spring athlete who did get a lead in a fall musical. He asked permission from his coach to audition, the coach laughed and said go on ahead as the drama troupe there is super competitive and he was a freshman. The coach nearly went through the roof when he found out the S got a demanding role. The practice schedule is much more all encompassing for college sports than in high school.

All the ivies have superb theatre programs. Integrating it with swimming which is one of the most jealous sports may be an issue. Majoring in theatre, particularly musical theatre and being a college athlete may not be compatible. I know at CMU, you cannot swim or play football and major in performance. They are simply incompatible time wise. You would need to ask each school about the policy. I know CMU is upfront about this. They would permit a drama minor with a seasonal sport, but you know swimming is really an all year sport. And CMU is a D-3 school.

Good luck to you. You would have to check each school individually and I would not ask the coach. You seem to have quite a few talents and I am sure you will find the right combo somewhere. One of the LACs might be an excellent place to look as well as the ivies. Do not forget to have schools of varying selectivities on your list despite your many talents.

By Musicalthtrmom (Musicalthtrmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

During our recent visit to OCU, my daughter was able to observe two classes and one private voice lesson. The classes -- one a Musical Theater workshop with undergrads and grad students, and the other a voice class -- both had less than 15 students. One of the questions we asked of the students in the MT workshop was "have you been in a show this year?" If my memory serves me correctly, all responded to the positive and some of the students were even freshmen. We saw a rehearsal of MERRY WIDOW and I have to agree with Nickdad, it was remarkable. I felt that my daughter would get very individualized attention at OCU after the visit we enjoyed. It couldn't have been a more welcoming campus experience.

By Mtpop (Mtpop) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Mtclc and Nickdad

Thanks for the feedback on OU and OCU. As my son is a Jr., we are in the middle of college visits right now, and both schools are on our calendar. As I posted earlier, I'd love some feedback on MT programs at schools in Texas. Anybody???

Shauna - if my son ends up at UNT, I hope he meets up with you - you sound like such a great young lady - the best to you.

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Anyone heard from U of Miami (FL) for the BFA in Musical Theater program?

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Anyone get there mail today and here from Boston Conservatory? I also called CMU and they said they are still reviewing my daughters app. and audition. She is a MT major and we will probably here by the end of the week she said. She also said this aboslutely does not mean good or bad. It seems strange though when so many people have heard either way. Any thoughts? And is it true that NYU sent out there notices Friday?

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Rejected from Boston Conservatory today. :(
This one hurt a little more. NYU's not looking too good.

angie

By Ohiomom466 (Ohiomom466) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Received a thin letter from Boston Conservatory today. Son is not home, but I am assuming it is not good news. Oh well. Has anyone been accepted at this school? He is sending a videotape to University of the Arts because he missed his scheduled audition(sick). He has been accepted at Point Park and will probably go there. After reading all these messages, I am glad he auditioned there early and found out he was accepted in Dec. Certainly eliminated a lot of stress.

By Dramamama (Dramamama) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

My daughter was accepted at Hartt. Has anyone who has been accepted there received any information on financial scholarships (not financial aid)? We have received nothing so far and were just wondering since other colleges sent her financial scholarship information close to the time she received word of admissions.

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Ohiomom466

A good friend of my daughter's from the 2003 CMU MT Summer program just heard today that she was accepted to BOCO (Boston Conservatory) for MT. She's a great kid and we are so happy for her!

For those of you still looking for summer MT programs, I have to tell you that so many kids my daughter met at the program last summer are getting accepted to great programs....... I'm sure it is at least in part due to the talent of the kids who are accepted into that summer program in the first place, but I also think the audition prep work they do there is invaluable.

I am finding it so interesting that almost no one has been accepted EVERYWHERE they audition and there doesn't seem to be much consistency in the acceptances. For example - one poster got in to CMU but not Webster, others U Mich but not CCM, CCM and CMU but not U Mich, BOCO but not U Arts or UM, etc. It just goes to show you what potential there is for random selection. So much depends on things over which none of us have control! What kind of day did the auditioning faculty have? Are they tired, bored, did they have a bad lunch, have a fight with their spouse or kids, did they hear the same song from the 3 previous hopefuls? What kind of day were the kids having? What needs do the individual programs have - are there niches or holes in their student body/ensemble that they need to fill?.....many things that may have little or nothing to do with the relative talents of the students who are dying to go to that school.

Wouldn't all of us just kill to be a fly on the wall of the admissions committee meetings at these schools?

BTW - has anyone else gotten into UM? If so, has anyone heard anything about merit scholarship awards there?

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Theatermom,
UM? Is that U of Miami?

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

So sorry Caitie531 - I should remember there is more than one UM. In this case, I'm asking about the University of Michigan.

I've been out of town and "computerless" since last Thursday morning so I have had a lot of catching up to do so, also congrats on the CMU waitlist!! - regardless of the outcome, you should be thrilled at the recognition. We understand that CMU was perhaps even harder to get into this year (how is that possible?.....) and especially so for girls! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!! (If I'm not mistaken, you were also at CMU last summer with my daughter, yes?)

Keep us posted!!

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Theatermom,
Thank you very much! Yes, I was at CMU this summer with your daughter! How is she doing? Where is she planning on attending next year?
I will definately keep you posted!

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Caitie,

She'll happily be going to the University of Michigan for her MT BFA. Nina and Ollie have also been accepted there and I think both are going as well. Michigan was her first choice. I wish I could tell you that she got into CMU so you'd know that at least one girl turned down a place making room for someone off the waitlist, but she didn't get in. Even tho she had already accepted Michigan, she was bummed at being turned down by CMU - she loved it there. But, in truth, given her secondary interests in classical vocal performance and her desire to have some courses outside of her MT curriculum, Michigan was just a better fit for her.

Congrats to ALL the 2003 CMU summer kids!!

By Kls800 (Kls800) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Emerson - accepted BFA
Tisch - got the invite (waiting for the real thing)

Fordham - academically accepted - no BFA
Marymount - academically accepted - no BFA

4 different audition processes

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

By Dramaqueen22 (Dramaqueen22) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

While everyone is talking about summer programs...after visiting Syracuse last weekend, my parents decided that I could definitely attend the Pre-College program this summer for Acting/Musical theater. I think I asked this about 5 threads back (and never got an answer), but does anyone know of the success rates of kids who have attended this or just know anyone who has gone? I know that they have college audition training there, and I wasn't sure if anyone knew how helpful it was. In any case, I'm sure the program will be helpful just because Syracuse is currently my first choice, so I figured going this summer woudldn't hurt. Congrats to all the acceptances so far! I'm sure more will be out soon!

Amanda

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Rejection number three today from Syracuse... go figure... I'm kind of relieved sinceI didn't care for the faculty anyway, but it still hurts.
I got into Miami - but I don't know what for! I got my financial aid award letter saying congrats on being admitted... but for what department??? Ah!!!!
I just have to pray that CMU will come through now... I have worked my butt off for four years now just to go to CMU... I've gotten this far... Please keep me in your thoughts...
~Cait

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

MNMOM,
I was wondering... when did your daughter hear from University of Miami? I got a financial aid letter saying I had been accepted today... but I haven't gotten my acceptance package informing me what major...
Thanks.

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

My friend got waitlisted (6th in line) at Boston onservatory. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE WAITLIST PROCESS? IS THERE A CHANCE HE WILL GET IN? Thank you for any information you can give me! My daughter got accepted to the BFA.

By Mnmom (Mnmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Nanners--

Yes there is definitely a chance for your friend to get in. These schools generally over offer, and chances are some kids will decline and accept elsewhere -- opening up some spots for others like your friend. Best of luck to him!!

By Mnmom (Mnmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Caitie--

Check your email!

By Musicmom (Musicmom) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Dramamama-

It is really weird that schools handle this stuff so differently.
Our S applied EA to Hartt last fall and was accepted with merit aid in Dec.
But we also filed a FAFSA and have not received word on any needs based aid yet.
I called and they said it should be coming 'any day now'.
Best of luck to your D!

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

MnMom
Thank you so much for responding. This entire process has been so overwhelming and it is almost better the get the big "R" than keepingit going by being put on a waitlist. I thought being 6th on the ist was pretty good odds but i really am totally unfamiliar about this entire prodess and how Boston Conservatory works. I am hoping his odds are good!

By Cbs57 (Cbs57) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

Dramamama,

When you ask about financial scholarships at Hartt, do you mean the talent scholarships? That information comes with your acceptance. I don't believe that Hartt students can get any other academic scholarships, only need based aid.

By Musicmom (Musicmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:45 am: Edit

Cbs57-

Our S did receive his merit (talent) scholarship
with his acceptance to Hartt in Dec.
But then maybe in January, there was a followup
letter reminding us to file FAFSA for needs based aid. In that letter, they hinted that additional merit $$ MIGHT be available later, presumably after they had heard all the 'regular' admission auditions.
It's all very confusing....but almost over!

By Peggy (Peggy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:26 am: Edit

Amanda -- You asked about summer MT programs. There are several of us whose kids (or they, themselves) went to the CMU Pre-College program last summer. I have heard nothing but raving about their six weeks there. The classes were awesome and the kids they met there were wonderful. My daughter tells people that we had to tie her to the top of the van to get her to come home!

As for the success rate, all I know is when we were at CMU to audition, Steph talked to some of the students helping with the audition. Almost everyone one of them had been to the Pre-College program.

You can find information on the CMU web site.

Peg

By Cbs57 (Cbs57) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:27 am: Edit

Musicmom,

My daughter applied EA to Hartt and her talent scholarship was later raised by $2,000. I believe we found out the first week of April.

By Peggy (Peggy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:52 am: Edit

Well, we survived a weekend with two performances of the high school musical "Annie", with a dance convention sandwiched in between! She played Lilly St. Regis ("I was named after the hotel." "Yeah, which floor?") It's not the lead, but first, at 5'10", she can't play Annie. And with her dance schedule, it was about all the "lead" she could handle!

For any of you that have been to a dance convention, she went through the scholarship auditoins. She was one of only two from her studio that made the first cut. Yeah!

She got her fifth rejection letter last week (CMU). Next week is the U of Mich audition. To be honest, if UofMIch wasn't so close and if it wasn't Spring Break, I'm not sure she would do the audition. She's getting pretty discouraged. We did schedule one more audition -- Milliken University in Illinois. Again, we were able to get an audition during Spring Break. But we've decided that is it. If neither of them work out, she's not going to audition any more this year.

And to be honest, she's starting to think about majors besides MT. The realilty of how competitive not just college, but all of Musical Theater, is starting to set in. There are definiate advantages to teaching English/Creative Writing/Drama, and doing community theater in the evenings!

Peg

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

YAY!!! I can finally breathe a sigh of relief... I was so terrified that I wouldn't be going to college... my mom and I called the admissions office at U of Miami to check my status... I was accepted for Musical Theater!!! My admissions counselor said I was one of their "top picks"! I am so relieved... at least someone wanted me and I have a feeling I might even get a talent-based award because my audition with them went so well. So, now if CMU does not work out, I do have options... my instinct about them was not wrong... they did like me! Who else will possibly be joining me there next year???
~A very relieved Cait

By Peggy (Peggy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:25 am: Edit

One more post! Last week I asked about Milliken University. Then over the weekend, someone posted this web site:

http://www.millikin.edu/theatre/degree/mtheatre/

That is Milliken. I have no idea how good they are, but at this point, we're not aiming for the upper elite. I do know that they have a couple of slots left for auditions. You have to be accepted before you can audition, although the people are very understanding. We are getting Steph's acceptance pushed through at record speed. She should be accepted by the end of the week so that she can audition on Monday!

Peg

By Mnmom (Mnmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

Cait,

Yea! for you. We are so delighted for you. It is a great program!!! ...and very competitive!

Congrats!!!!

By Ohiomom466 (Ohiomom466) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Well, my son did get turned down by Boston Conservatory. At least their letter was sensitive. Boston was far from Ohio anyway. He decided not to send a tape to University of the Arts because he has practice for the State Thespian Conference this weekend and all the other senior things that are starting to occur. So he will be at Point Park in the fall. Anyone else going there? This has been a very long process. I don't think people realize the amount of effort involved. Good luck to all of you and your children.

By Ohiomom466 (Ohiomom466) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

Peggy--One of the top students from my son's high school went to Milliken. My son's school is sort of a perfoming arts school( a program within the school). She loved Milliken and now is in New York trying to make it. Good luck.

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

Ohiomom,
Point Park is a really great school! Pittsburgh is a way fun city... hard to believe, yes I know... but there is a lot do. He'll enjoy himself there! Congrats!!!
Mnmom,
Thank you! :)

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

I just called Carneige Mellon about my decision and they STILL have not sent a letter - the said they are still reviewing. That is not a good sign is it when so many people have already heard???

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Nanners,
My brother said that things in admissions have been insane lately. About two weeks ago they had to move the entire office because of a problem with the building. It's very possible that they might have put your daughter's app aside to review again after they'd made some decisions. She might be one that they wanted to take a closer look at in comparison to another desirable student. Don't give up hope! Best of luck!
~Cait

By Catsmom (Catsmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

THEATERMOM - WE ARE INTERESTED IN ONE OF THE SUMMER PROGRAMS BACK EAST - I HAVE A JR DAUGHTER AND WE LIVE ON THE WEST COAST. DO YOU NEED TO AUDITION FOR THE CMU SUMMER PROGRAM? THIS BOARD HAS HELPED ME ENORMOUSLY IN OUR ATTEMPT TO NARROW DOWN THE COLLEGE SEARCH AND I CAN'T THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH.

By Noccadad (Noccadad) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Catsmom, For the sake of time I will go ahead and answer since I am here. I have a sophomore daughter that has applied for the CMU Pre-College program in Musical Theater,no word yet on acceptance. There is no audition required. Very simple process. The website is:
www.cmu.edu/enrollment/pre-college and telephone # 412-268-7838. E-mail me if you need more but there has been nothing but hugh praise for this program on from this group.

By Peggy (Peggy) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

What I learned today:

If you spell MillikIn University correctly when you do a Message Search, you find a lot more comments (all positive) than if you spell it MillikEn :)

Peg

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Noccadad,
My Pre-College letter was sent out on March 31 last year... so, your daughter should hear soon. It is a great program and a really good time! Two of my very close friends are the head counselors this summer! Best of luck!
~Cait

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Caitie

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. As you know at this point anything encouraging is nice to hear. Congratulations to you and good luck! Didn't you get into Boston Conservatory also? Your #1 is U of Miami?

By Noccadad (Noccadad) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Thanks for the feedback Caitie and a major high five on Miami. Your experiences and accomplishments are what we are trying to assist our D with as much as she allow us (she would love Miami or FSU) as we are from Fla. so your feedback is really appreciated. We hope with your busy schedule you'll keep us posted here on your progress. Thanks again!

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Nanners,
Actually, I did not audition for Boston Conservatory. I was originally planning to, but I decided 5 schools was plenty. Carnegie Mellon was and remains my first choice and U of Miami was my last choice before I auditioned for them. After I auditioned for them, they moved up to third over Michigan and Syracuse. The school's faculty was so kind and very encouraging. They took the most time, next to CMU, to sit and talk with me and even work some of my pieces with me. It's thanks to them that I succeeded at my CMU audition... They are the ones who told me to take more risk with choosing my pieces and my acting--and I did! I feel so much more in tune with my acting skills now. I feel so fortunate thanks to them.
I am so glad that I will have the opportunity to work with them if I do not end up getting a spot off of the CMU priority waitlist.
For those of you juniors: Miami may not have a big name as of right now, but they are fabulous! The facilities are very nice and the faculty is so warm and welcoming! The campus is gorgeous too and the city is a blast! Think about it: good theater program, beach, fun shopping, super close IMAX theater, etc. Weeee!!! :) Think about it... at least take a look at it.
Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement!
~Cait

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Noccadad,
I wish I had applied to FSU and Central Florida... both very good schools with great programs. Another option your D should consider... if she does not get to go to one of the bigger names for undergrad, The American Conservaoty Theater in SF has a great MFA program for acting - one of the best in the country!
Best of luck!
~Caitie

By Brdwydiva05 (Brdwydiva05) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

THOSE CMU PREKIE PEOPLE:
<name removed> got accepted to U of Michigan too. I think they like really strong dancers, because all the people accepted were in the top dance classes.

By Janenw (Janenw) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Everyone -

Has anyone attended CAP 21's 6 week summer pre-college program? There is no housing provided - but it looks like a good program.
Thanks for the help!

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

CMU Prechies:
Will any of you be attending CMU next year? I'm waitlisted right now, but I might be going... I'd love to know where everyone's going next year! Best of luck!
~Cait

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Janenw:
Go to CMU Pre-College! It's way fun!!!

By Dramaqueen22 (Dramaqueen22) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Just a random question...I was thinking about applying early decision to my first choice school, but I didn't know if you could just apply early decision to the program. I mean, if you got into the school but not the program, would you still be obligated to attend the school or can you say you'll go only if you are accepted into the program. I don't know if that made any sense. I'm not sure how to phrase it. Anyway, any information about that would be appriciated :)

Amanda

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Amanda,
At Ithaca College, they said that if they accepted you ED to the college but you were not accepted to MT, but to a second choice major, you would not be obligated to attend if MT was your first choice on your application.

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

To those who were accepted (any MT program!) - as you look back at your auditions, does it make sense to you that the schools made their acceptance/rejection decisions as they did? Did you give your best auditions at the schools you were accepted at (or waitlisted)? or did it seem random?

And if it's the case that you can tell that you gave your best audition at the schools that accepted or waitlisted you, what made it a good audition? or is it just random? (faculty liked your selections, other faculty didn't like your selections, etc)

Hope that was clear, I'm tired from driving to and from rehearsals....at all hours.

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Looking back, I think I would have sang a more broadway opera song for my ballad... just because I'm a soprano 1 and I don't think I demonstrated my classical/operatic range... even though on my resume, I noted my classical training and that I played Mabel in Pirates of Penzance my Junior year(which is very very high soprano), and I'm an All-Stater, blah blah... but I think if they noticed the marks in my resume, they probably wished I would have sang something of that genre.

Other than that, I believe I did my best at every single one of my auditions. There are little things here and there that I wish I would have done, like, put a sheet of paper in my back pocket with about 20 questions on in and pulled it out during the "interview" part. Little things like that.

As for the decisions... I know why CMU rejected me, but as for BOCO... I'm not quite sure why I was rejected. They seemed to really really like me. We even shared a few laughs in my audition... they said I did a great job on my monologues.... I'm stumped. But, that's the way the cookie crumbles. To me, it's kind of random. They may have had hundreds of auditions that were good enough for acceptance. But I could be wrong. They probably have very good reasons for not admitting me. I just wish I knew what they were.

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

To you CMU waitlistees:
Just found out...
they are planning on a class of 28 for MT/Acting.
Females: 4 MTs and 6 Actors
So... the odds kind of suck, eh? Oh, well.... let's keep hopeful!!!!

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Acavallo why do you think CMU rejected you?

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Jrmom,
This year seemed odd... I got waitlisted at CMU and accepted to Miami, but rejected from Syracuse, Webster, and Mich... no rhyme or reason...
Tell your D to keep working hard and have faith in herself! All it takes is one acceptance to be on her way... she doesn't need a big named school... (I'll be happy with Miami, if not CMU)

By Queenhavok (Queenhavok) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

ATTENTION Shauna!

Keep all your rejection letters. When you get your Tony, Grammy, or whatever...You can send copies back to the colleges of the letters...

Remember Juliana Hansen...She was cut from CCM due to "lack of talent" and is now touring with TMM (Thoroughly Modern Millie). Yay. Chin up.

By Wct (Wct) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Caitie531-
Could you clarify. I know they like to go 18 for acting and 10 for MT at CMU. In your post what you are saying is that they went 6 males/4 females in MT and went 12 males and 6 females in Acting? Maybe I am not reading your post right. It seems odd to me that they would go for that many more males over females in the acting major this year. Are you on the waitlist for just MT or Acting too?

The other question floating in my head is will they chose someone off the waitlist that "types" the same as the person who rejected the offer? How will they decide who comes off the waitlist first?

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Caitie how did you possibly find that out?

By Katiem (Katiem) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Janenw:
TONS of my friends went to Cap21's summer program. I got accepted as well but decided to go to Broadway Theatre Project instead. They LOVED it though! They got a ton of training and had a blast at the same time. They really loved their teachers too! They would really reccomend it. I'm sure they'll open up housing because so many need it.
-Katie

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Wct,
That's exactly what Barbara MacKenzie-Wood told me... I don't really know what she meant. But that's direct from the email she sent me. So, you'd have to check with her for further clarification. I'm waitlisted for both she said.

My guess is with the waitlist they'll just take the first person off the list that they want... I'm guessing type doesn't play much into it. We'll see though, that's just wishful thinking for me...

Nanners,
I emailed Barbara MacKenzie-Wood to find out as much as I could.

By Musicalthtrmom (Musicalthtrmom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:56 am: Edit

Wct, Caitie....A conversation we had with the director of a MT program recently revealed the answer to your waitlist question. We were told at his program (and I suspect at most programs) that there is no way they would number the waitlist to determine who comes in next if someone does not accept. Imagine this scenario....they are taking 4 guys, 4 girls for MT. Two of the guys don't accept. If they "numbered" the waitlist and the top two were girls, they'd have 6 girls and 2 guys in the program...not smart. Or this scenario...of the 4 girls they have two sopranos, two altos (we're keeping this simple). The two altos bow out. If the top two on their list are sopranos, they can't take them. They need to balance their class. So, they truly do have to look at their list and if someone bows out, they look at the closest to their "type" on the waitlist. Remember, they are, in many ways, casting their shows for the next few years by who they accept and they need a range.

Now..all this info came from ONE program head, and it was not CMU, so they could be different. But if you think about it, it makes the most sense.

By Gadad (Gadad) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:44 am: Edit

Caitie,
Miami has MT programs in both their School of Music and Dept. of Theatre. To which one did you apply, and what were the deciding factors between them for you?

By Commonsenseless (Commonsenseless) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on son's recent experience with sophomore review. For starters, it was scheduled for 8AM on a Saturday. Imagine. He is a Performance/Theater BFA student, no MT, but the same angst, I'm sure. He did a long scene w/another student, and a long monologue. Afterward, he called and said it was so exhausting that he was going to sleep for several hours. It was attended by seven professors (who gave absolutely no feedback) and was vidoetaped. Took ten days til they met with him again. All seven professors attended the followup as well. Short story is, he passed. Thank God, because he would not make a very good engineer. Interestingly, the comments he passed on to me (from professors to him) were in the same vein as my own thoughts on his strengths and weaknesses.
He said he thought that if he were someone who did not pass, that they probably would have discussed with him whether or not this was what he really wanted to continue doing. The cut policy is not as clearcut as I originally thought.
So we all sleep better tonight.
BTW, this is my son who applied to twelve conservatories with ABSOLUTELY no training whatsoever. No safety. Accepted to three.

By Onstage (Onstage) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I recently discovered this forum and have really enjoyed catching up on all eleven pages! I am an Equity performer myself, and my daughter is a 10th grade self-professed Theater Geek. We are just beginning our college search, so all of your comments have been most helpful.

My first thought is directed to those of you who are waiting anxiously for your admissions letters, and especially for those who have been disappointed by rejections. I have worked professionally in theater and music for many years. In an audition situation, no one has EVER asked me where I went to college. Sometimes the subject would come up later -- but it was never a factor when I was applying for a job. There was only one thing that mattered: TALENT. So although I know it's tough to be rejected, don't give up. Unfortunately this business is at least 90% rejection, and you have to learn to take it with a healthy attitude.

To play the devil's advocate for a moment, of course the training and contacts you get at a top school are of great value, and can only help you in your career. Please understand that I'm not disparaging that -- in fact, I graduated from the University of Michigan and found it to be a wonderful experience. But many, many performers that I have worked with over the years came to their careers via a different route.

And now for my first question -- does anyone know if PSU, Syracuse and Ithaca also offer a BA in Theater? And if so, do any of the classes overlap, or are the BFA classes strictly for the BFA students? We're visiting all of those schools in the near future, and I'm still trying to organize my thoughts! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

By Mtheatremom (Mtheatremom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Where are you Emilyp114?
Good news came in the mail today from NYU! My daughter got a big white envelope from NYU and a letter that said she was accepted to NYU Tisch School of the Arts! - even got a small scholarship. She is very excited as are we. There was no mention of which studio she was placed in, however. How do we find out? The studio placement might make a difference in whether she goes to OCU or NYU. Do we call the undergrad office or Tisch or do you think that info will come soon?
p.s. I called NYU yesterday and they said if you do not receive an invitation to the "Saturday in the Square" for April 4th - it does not indicate you were denied admission. They also said that the decision letters were "going out" tomorrow. Guess they just wanted to get a nervous parent off the phone!
-Mtheatremom

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Mtheatremom -
Congrats to your daughter!!!! I'm so excited (and jealous) for her! I havn't heard from Tisch yet. I'm guessing your daughter didn't receive an invitation.. I am soooo happy for her! if only i had my letter already. :)

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Mtheatremom...congrats to your daughter...yay!!! Acavallo, hang in there!

I just visited NYU/Tisch with my fifteen year old this past Monday, and gotta write it up but she loves it and so I hope your daughter's outcome can be one my daughter also gets to enjoy next year at this time.

Many happy thoughts going your way.

Susan

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Gadad,
I applied to the BFA for musical theater. I did not care to take a more classical approach to my voice training - that's why I chose the regular BFA rather than the Music degree. Miami is a fab school and I look forward to next year!

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Mtheatremom,

Congrats to your daughter! I'm still here but just reading now. A few comments that questioned my input in this forum kind of made me wonder why I was here, I guess. I also received two emails from someone whom I didn't know that were quite nasty and to be honest, it all hurt my feelings. I tried to participate here to give my thoughts and experience in the hopes that it would help some people. I know that a lot of you have thanked me and I've also received very kind and nice emails from some of you. It's just disconcerting to receive comments as I did in those emails. I'm not a confrontational person, in the least and it's just simpler for me to stay away. I hadn't planned to say anything here but it would have been rude of me not to reply to you and to congratulate your daughter. I'm sure she's thrilled. She'll probably receive her studio assignment sometime soon. Good luck to all of you who have been receiving good news.

By Bdwaymom (Bdwaymom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Onstage...My daughter is an MT at PSU and yes, they do have a BA theatre program. The programs do overlap as far as acting and technical classes go, but then the MT students go off to their dance/voice classes while the BA students have a different track (not quite sure since my daughter is an MT). She does post here occasionally and I'm sure she or one of her BA friends could answer questions more directly for you.

A definite plus to the PSU MT program...the whole dept has spent the last 3 days in NYC doing master classes, seeing Wicked and performing tonight at Lincoln Center at an alumni function all paid for by....a theater endowment through the university. Hotel, food, transportation, everything. My daughter's freshman year is already coming to a close and I can happily say that PSU has been a superb choice for her.

Good luck to all still waiting!

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Emily,
Thank you so much for your kind words! Just remember: you are obviously demonstrating that you are the bigger person by not responding to this person's cruel words. You are always welcome here to discuss your opinions. We live in America, this person needs to know that we can think whatever we like! I hope that you are alright and feel safe posting here. I have really enjoyed reading your perspective on schools and whatnot. Thanks again! Best of luck!

By Ratserutuf (Ratserutuf) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

im sorry for asking this really dumb question, but what's the difference between drama and theater, or are they the same thing?

By Monkey (Monkey) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Onstage,
A bit more info regarding the difference between a BA and BFA theatre degree at Penn State. The acting and tech classes only overlap freshman year. Once an MT student begins sophmore year they have studio classes just with BFA students. This allows for very small classes with lots of attention given to each student, as well as a chance for the students to develop trust and experience working together on scene work, etc. As Bdwaymom already stated, the voice and dance instruction is different from the get go. The BA is a much broader degree and does allow for much more flexibility in choosing coursework. The Music Theatre BFA kids can basically choose one or two gen eds each semester; everything else is pre-programmed to meet the BFA requirements.
I think this is also true for Ithaca but don't have any information about Syracuse.
I must also agree with Bdwaymom about what an excellent freshman year my daughter has had at Penn State; the opportunities and avenues for growth have been amazing.

By Monkey (Monkey) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

Onstage,
I also appreciated your wise words concerning this difficult time of acceptances and rejections from schools. It is easy for a young artist to feel unduly defeated by the process at such a vulnerable time. It is always helpful when someone "in the business" is able to give an objective perspective, and help redirect the disappointment. In this terribly uncertain and subjective journey, there are so many ways to reach one's goals, and TALENT and perseverence are at the top of the list for success.

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Caitie,

Thank you for responding. Yeah, it just kind of threw me how mean some people can be and it worried me a little. I post here with my middle name because my parents always pounded it into me that it's not a good idea to identify yourself too clearly on the internet but I started to feel a little concerned with those emails. Anyway, I've put them behind me. I hope those of you who are waiting for Tisch decisions are in for some good news. I know lots of people are receiving them yesterday and today.

By Wct (Wct) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Emilyp114-
Good to see you back!

By Wct (Wct) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Caitie531-
Silly me. I talked to my son today who informed me that there is 12 males and 6 females this year in CFA Acting at CMU. He reminded me that he told me this a long time ago. See what happens when you get old?

By Dramaqueen22 (Dramaqueen22) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

About the BA in Drama at Syracuse and Ithaca, both schools offer one, although I think it may be called a BA in theater at Syracuse. I think the lower level acting classes may mix with the BFA, but they pretty much have their own classes. At both schools, we were told that the students could chose a lot more electives in theater, such as directing, playwriting, and tech than the BFA's could. They are given the same performance opportunities as the BFA's however, and at Ithaca, you can minor in dance and take voice lessons for a fee at the school. That is currenly my back up plan if I don't get into the BFA MT. Hope this helps!

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Wct,
Hmmm... that's very interesting. Heh... yay for senior moments! ;)
Let's keep our fingers crossed!

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Emily,

I too got a really vicious email from some unamed person a few weeks ago who lambasted me for my participation in this discussion. It really threw me for a loop at first and I was tempted not to respond. But the more I thought about it, I decided that it wasn't right to let this "person" get away with thinking it was okay to talk to ANYONE the way they talked to me. So I wrote them an email telling them that and challeneged them to come out of hiding by posting their comments about me on the website instead of hiding behind an anonymous email. Needless to say, they crawled back into the hole from which they came.

Know how much we all value your input and the time you have taken from your busy life at school to help everyone on this website. You are much appreciated by us all.

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Some people are sick... and so immature!
Note to this cruel person: Everyone is allowed to post on this board whatever they think. Everyone's opinions are valuable in helping others learn more about schools for musical theatre. Please refrain from shooting others down about their opinions just because they aren't yours!

By Onstage (Onstage) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Ratserutuf -- Not a dumb question at all -- in fact I had to really think about it -- what IS the difference between drama and theater? I came to the conclusion that they mean basically the same thing, but I think drama would refer more specifically to performing, while theater might be a more general term which could include technical aspects (like lighting, set design, etc.)

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Here's a question: If you are denied admission for a program which required an audition, can you still appeal the decision? I think that you should be able to. Even though there would be tons and tons of kids claiming they had a bad audition, but what if you could send in a video, or a recording of yourself... showing them proof (providing them with NEW and COMPELLING information, as all appeal guideline clearly state must be included) that you are capable of better.? Just a question... I don't think us MT hopefulls should be excluded from being able to appeal. I think it would be valid. But I could be completely off base. What do you guys think?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Emily, welcome back. If post here enough times, it is inevitable that you will get a nasty post. And get blasted. It's just the way the world is. And so it is if you voice your opinion in any forum. There will always be those who disagree with your position, which is fortunate, because many issues need discussion and different viewpoints. Unfortunately there are some rude people who take some things too personally. I've gotten some heat too.

Acavallo, you can always appeal a decision, officially or unofficially. It's really your call. It is just a question of how valuable your time is and if an appeal is the best use of your time, given that few appeals are successful. Many programs have limited space and once the spots are given out, there is no room for more. The best most appeals can get is a spot on the waitlist and the size of those lists is outrageous. The only time an appeal makes sense, in my book, is if there is a crucial piece of very important info that is missing from the original application or audition that can really swing the decision the other way. Even then you are counting on the program being able to squeeze another person onto the roster. Most of the time, it is just better to move on.

By Acavallo1 (Acavallo1) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not planning on appealing, I was just wondering if it was feasable. Thanks for your input.

By Inkyblb (Inkyblb) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

Emily - Thank you SO MUCH for all the time you have taken to give us such invaluable inside info regarding Tisch. I am so sorry that you have had such an unpleasant experience here - the rest of us love you....Please don't leave us!!

Cait - congrats on your wait list at CMU - do you know how long you'll have to wait to hear? What does priority mean? Also congrats on U of Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I had the privilege of seeing Cait perform in Les Mis and she is one VERY talented young lady - if MT hopefuls of this caliber are being rejected from schools, the competition must be incredibly tough this year - as many have said before, it is becoming incresingly evident that is is an honor to be accepted even to one program anywhere!

By Gluemom (Gluemom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

Hi - this is my 1st mesage - thank u all for your valuable info - wish I knew about this web site prior to apps. - found it 2 wks. ago. My D applied to 5 schools for MT never realizing what the odds were - ignorance is bliss. She received an acceptance letter from Tisch today - any idea when they tell what studio?

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

Awwww Inkyblb... thank you so much. That means so much to me! It's comments like yours that keep me going! I'm so sad Les Mis is over, but it was such a wonderful experience!!!
Oo! I'm auditioning for "Into the Woods," so I may get to finally do a show with your son! I'm so excited! I have always wanted to work with him - he is so talented!
Priority waitlist means that I and I'm guessing 3 others girls will be the first to hear (May 7th) about possible open spots in the MT program at CMU. And if none open then, we'll be put at the top of the regular waiting list for june. I'm way excited. I'm guessing that means that 3 other girls and myself are the bottom half of the top 8 who auditioned for CMU! AHHHH!! So exciting! Yeh Katiem! ;)
Thanks a bunch! :)

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

Gluemom,
That's great news! Congrats for your D!!! Where else did she apply/get accepted to?

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 06:15 am: Edit

I know this is a hard business, but hearing about these rejection/acceptance patterns is a little discouraging.

What if the applicant is talented, smart, has had training and experience in all 3 areas, is very driven and career focused, has had good parts but never a lead in school productions (very large school), and never attended CMU's summer program? Should the kid still audition for BFA programs? Statistically speaking, even if you're in the top 5-10-15% of applicants, it's not enough.

By Mtheatremom (Mtheatremom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 06:55 am: Edit

Emilyp114,
Thanks again for all of your invaluable input. My daughter's success regarding Tisch is in a large part due to your articulate information. Please don't let the mean people out there keep you away. You are wonderful.
Sincerely, Mtheatremom

Gluemom,
What a great name! I called Tisch yesterday. They said studio placement was going out in a letter April 1st. Congrats!

By Theatermom (Theatermom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:22 am: Edit

In response to the question posted awhile back about what you think might have gotten certain kids accepted while others were not and the many questions about what qualifications does a student performer need in order to be considered "competitive" in MT auditions - the notion of "am I/is my child good enough/have enough on his or her resume to even bother auditioning for these programs," I'd like to offer the following food for thought. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to bring up this issue and my guess is that it may be a bit controversial. But because it hasn't really been discussed on this forum (at least not directly), I'd like to bring up the subject of what I'll call the "It Factor."

We all kind of know what "It" is - It's that SOMETHING that draws your eye to a particular performer on stage, a quality in a singer's voice that makes you want to listen to them sing the same song over and over and over again, the energy or grace with which certain dancers move while at the same time connecting with an audience. We've all seen it and been moved by "it", whether or not we're able to put a name to it. Several parents have remarked that after seeing their child perform, everyone says, "I couldn't take my eyes off of your S or D." That's "It."

Now here comes the part that people may wish to debate. My personal belief is that you can't learn "It." You've either got "It" or you don't (apologies for the Mama Rose rip-off....) And I think that's why it is impossible to just compare resumes when trying to figure out who got accepted where and why. I'm convinced that the auditioners for these programs have "It" as one of the things that's highest on their list of desirables when they make the admit decisions. The other stuff, the technique, the history, the repertoire, can all be taught. "It" cannot be taught. It's what explains the kid with not alot of formal training getting in when the kid with a resume a mile long does not. It's why attending one of the so-called elite programs is by no means a guarantee of success and why so many people have found their way to success following such varied paths.

Now the fly in the ointment is that having "It" and being free and confident enough to show "It" in a pressure cooker of an audition situation is what separates the professionals (or able to become professionals) from the never wills. The audition piece of this is also a skill that must be practiced in order to be perfected. HAVING talent and technique and being able to DEMONSTRATE that talent and technique are two very different things.

I believe that it the "It" factor trumps a lot of other factors but in science class or SAT terms "It" is necessary but not sufficient. You also need to work your butt off to acquire technique, have the perseverance and mental toughness to endure multiple rejections and just to make matters that much more interesting, you have to have luck.

So, my bottom line is this - If this sounds like you (students)or your child (parents), if you think you've got "It," then GO for it. Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have enough "whatever" to even try. I look forward to seeing you all bring "It" to the world as the next generation of exciting performing artists.
Best of luck!!!

PS I'll be interested in any responses to this "theory." You can't hurt my feelings by expressing yours. As as been pointed out recently, that's what this forum should be all about - the open and honest exchange of ideas and information.

By Kls800 (Kls800) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Jrmom -

Our A had only one "lead" in 6 years Jr/Sr high. In the chorus for Jr production. She now has one acceptance (Emerson) and the invite to Sat at the Square (we're waiting for the Tisch packet) She seems to have gotten into the "reach" and not the "safety" schools for BFA(academically into all schools) I think it's fair to say her stats are solid (~1200,4.5+ top 5 rank in class) I'd like to think that she showed work ethic and energy at her audition and something clicked.

Show business is a long hard grind and there are many 20 year "overnight successes". Coming home from last years performance, all A could talk about was that feeling you get when a big production number really connects with the audience and you can feel the electricity on stage. This is a business you stay in for love of performing - not money (except for a rare few) If it's in their blood they should go for it - I left school to take a recording contract. It was the best move I ever made - if I hadn't done it I'd always wonder "what if".

Same for MT - show business is full of rejection and I think it's only a question of when and how that rejection is dealt with. The first letter we got was a rejection from a BFA program. We immediately found another school that was still accepting apps. and set up an audition. That's how it will be in the "real" business too. Sometimes I think the real education here is learning that getting told "no" is not the end of the world and what is important is what happens next.

I'd say go for it.

By Jrmom (Jrmom) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Theatermom,
thanks for that thoughtful post. You were able to pinpoint something that I hadn't considered, or been able to verbalize, but know exists. I agree with you - and maybe the challenge for the student is to feel comfortable in audition enough to show whatever degree of "it" she/he has.

Kls800 - yes, I agree that being told "no" and figuring out how to work out a "yes" situation after that is the key. We'll "go for it", I don't have any other choice! My kid's passion drives this train.

By 5pants (5pants) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:40 am: Edit

Caitie,

Congrats. on Miami and being waitlisted at CMU! I have been following your posts and you "sound" so together! I have twin sons that have been invited to MT at Webster...which I know was your hopeful "back-up" school. Fate is taking you down other paths! There is a little part of me that wishes you could have crossed paths with my two at Webster though...spoken like a real mom. *wink*

I too have been blasted on this thread, and I have chosen not to blast back. Guess we are all intitled to our opinions. Some of us choose to take the high road and stay positive....

This thread has been a well of information...thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!

5pants

By 5pants (5pants) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

BRAVO Theatermom!

What a great post!!!!!!!

5pants

P.S. Wish this thread had spell check! Don't you just hate it when you post and then realize you spelled something wrong?

By Ratserutuf (Ratserutuf) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

Thanks Onstage

By Nanners20 (Nanners20) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

Hi all

Did anyone read that article that has been posted in some threads for high school seniors regarding college admissions (in the new york times). It hit me like a ton of bricks. My daughter has been doing MT for 7 years and so far she has gotten into Boston Conservatory and Syracuse and some california colleges (where we are from) and still waiting for NYU & Carneige and she informed me yesterday that she didn't think she wanted to go to Boston because she doesn't want to go to a conservatory. She wants the entire college atmosphere. She doesn't want to leave california because she doesn't feel she is ready to be that far away from home. She liked Fullerton and there Musical Theater program and it was in LA where there still are alot of opportunites. I was totally bummed thinking Boston was a sure thing and after I slept on it I realized she was doing this for me. Then I signed on here and read that article! I have come to the conclusion I have guided her for the first 18 years of her life and now it is her turn to make the decisions what she thinks is best for her EVEN if I don't agree. I was all wrapped up in this and thinking she was born with this talent and she has to be at one of these elite schools if she is ever going to "make it" but I guess when it comes down to it - it is what is in her heart and her passion.

By 5pants (5pants) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

Nanners20,

Would you mind sharing more details of where we might be able to view this article?

It's amazing how our kids manage to just pick their lives up by the boot straps...they need to pursue their "gut" instincts. Best wishes to you and your D....whatever is decided will certainly be for the best.

5pants

By Caitie531 (Caitie531) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

Jrmom,
Don't worry about leads in musicals! Many of the most talented and stars never had leads in their high school or community musicals! I was just very fortunate to be participating in a very professional program - our director used to be a professional actor in NY... so, he knows the whole casting game pretty well. Most places--politics are what get you a role! So, do not worry! If your daughter is how she sounds the schools will love her! And, at CMU this year, almost no Pre-College student was accepted. Two of us, that I know of, were priority waitlisted, but that's the best we could do!
As my mom has said to me: It's all a crapshoot! Every school is looking for something different, if your daughter is as talented, intelligent, and driven as you say she is, then I'm sure she'll get in to at least one of these schools! All it takes is one acceptance to be on your way! ;) I've learned that recently. But, I am looking forward to next year--even if I don't end up at CMU (where I had hoped and dreamed and planned on going since before my freshman year began).
Just be there for your daughter and let her make her own decisions. That's what my mother has done and I love her more than anything for it! She's been there for me through all of it!
I wish your daughter the best of luck! Remember: each school wants someone a little different, so don't feel defeated if your daughter gets rejected from one... she will be accepted to another.

5pants,
Thank you so much for your kind words! Congrats to your sons about Webster! It is a wonderful school and I'm sure they will be very happy! I'm sure that our paths will cross someday after we're all finished with college and off auditiong! ;) I was a little upset that I didn't get in, but the more I thought about it, the moe it made sense. I just didn't fit their type and I'm just not meant to be there. So, it's no big deal! I'll end up where I'm meant to be... hopefully that'll be CMU! But if not, I am in love with the idea of going to a beach school with a fantastic theater prorgram! You know, I live in CA, but I have not been to the beach in years! Hee hee... I'm looking forward to next year! Good luck with your sons, I wish them the best! :)

By Mtdad (Mtdad) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Thanks to the many who are sharing their experiences and thoughts, and like Nanners20 and Theatermom are bringing a dose of reality to the thread. At times is appears that we tend to lose sight of the fact that the focus of this thread is the academic road to MT training with a very heavy emphasis on a few elite institutions. In truth, the kids who make it into and through these few schools make up a very small, albeit unusually successful, portion of the theatrical community. We need to be mindful of the inherent bias in this thread towards high level university or conservatory training as the path to MT success. It is the path the parents, prospective students, and current students who contribute here have elected to follow, but it is only one among many potential roads to a rewarding theatrical career.

By Jennysg (Jennysg) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Nanners20
Your post "like a ton of bricks" ! My D is only a soph. but is wanting to go into MT. Unfortunately, I have been doing most of the investigating. I know that we are not in the midst of needing to find a college/audition process yet, but I have been discouraged that my D is not as obesessed with reading this forum and gaining info for her next two years as I am. Maybe I should be backing off. She expresses places she is interested in but most of her info comes from me and what I have found out about through this thread.

We live in AZ and all the places that are mentioned here are VERY far away.

I would like to read the article you found. Where is it? Is it in this thread? If so, I missed it.

To all of you seniors,
Congrats on all your acceptances.
I do not post much but thoroughly enjoy reading all posts here. After all that I have been reading over the past few months, I am beginning to have my doubts whether my D will make it into any of the places so highly regarded on this thread.
She is talented....don't know whether is has "it" or not yet. She has an impressive resume but not as impressive as most students on this thread. She has been hindered to do many parts due to her very small stature. As she gets older and her friends are able to land parts for older more complex and adult parts she doesn't because she doesn't "look" old enough to play the part.

I wonder whether this will be a detriment when the time comes to do auditons for school?

This thread now continues on Part 12
Moderator Trinity

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page