LSE, NYU stern, cornell, Northwestern,cmu for economics

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: LSE, NYU stern, cornell, Northwestern,cmu for economics
By Nssux (Nssux) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

I am going to college in the fall and have been accepted to the London school of economics, cornell CAS, NYU stern, Carnegie mellon college of humanities and ss, and Northwestern Weinberg.

I am thinking of studying economics and desire a college with a great environment, professors, peers, courses. Any recommendations?

Also i did the british A levels in Singapore. How tough is it to get a bachelors in 3 years with advanced standing? At LSE the BSCecons takes 3 years with direct honours and the tuition fees are much cheaper.

anyone whos studying in these places, or in the same position please help.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

All of those schools are great for econ, but obviously LSE stands out because of all the prestige associated with it. However, a friend of mine just transfered from LSE to Cornell, and told me its not as great as one would think. They all have great departments. NYU just had an econ professor win a nobel prize I believe. It will come down to what atmosphere you prefer, and what classes you want to take outside of your major.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

LSE as an institution has a lot of character and personality. Most probably because of its roots with the Fabian society. Assuming that you are Asian, I understand the importance of 'name recognition' in the local community. Few friends of mine who went there found that a degree from LSE is mere branding. They said that for the excessive tuiton fee they paid, all the got was a load of 'theory'. They added on that they would have been much happier attending City University which has a lesser work load, a solid reputation among the financial community and a very practical course. Personally I am in the view that if you want to be an academic, Uni of Chicago and LSE would be excellent choices. The choice in the end is up to you

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page