Guaranteed Transfer Options??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Guaranteed Transfer Options??
By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Hey all. I've gotten into UCI/UCSD/SDSU/Rutgers but as I review the schools I really don't feel that they are right for me. I probably will not get into any other schools so I am considering going to a two-year college and transferring.

They have some colleges that allow for contracts (this is not related to the UCSD GTO feature) guaranteeing a transfer to a UC after two years of general ed courses with a minimum 2.8GPA, etc.

I fear that I would lose the zeal of early college life and if I do enter one of the prestigious schools I would feel very out of place. I would have a few friends at each of my choices (the elite UC transfers) but things would change after two years, right? Does anybody else have any information or feelings on this? Thanks.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

edit that's UCI/UCSB*** if i got in at ucsd i'd be GONE!

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

I'm sure that this won't be a popular opinion, but I think that you are the best judge of what would be best for you. That said, it is clear from your post that you don't feel comfortable going to any of the colleges where you were accepted, and you do sound like you would be more comfortable going to a 2-year.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about losing the zeal of early college life and feeling out of place at one of the prestigious schools. Do you mean that this is your fear of what could happen if you opt for the two-year transfer option?

Lastly, as far as friends go, yes things can change in two year (or maybe they won't) but it is never a good idea to choose your college path based on your friends. I say this because everyone is different and what may work for your friend might be a mistake for you (and vice versa). Also, again there is the chance that you could grow apart and then it was really pointless to choose a school based on the person you no longer talk to.

Just my opinion.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Demingy: Thanks a lot for your descriptive reaction. That answered most of what I had on my mind. And yes, I am not too fond of the choices that I have. I am still appealing to UCSD (not something to rely on, however) and waiting for that.

The reason I stressed the importance of friends and the fear of missing the first two years is because that is when connections are developed. Even if I was to go to a school where I knew nobody, my best chance to make acquaintences would be during those first two years in General Ed. If I take the path of Community College I would know nobody (because I probably won't go to my local one) and have to be completely new.

These are just some things that I am considering. Right now out of the ones I was accepted into, I am putting UCSB on top. I don't like UCI's quiet and deserted image, Rutgers is too far and too cold, SDSU doesn't have much of what I want as well. UCSB seems to have the academics and social setting (not parties) of what I am accustomed to.

But I also feel that trying something new would benefit me as far as education. Maybe UCI's quietness would allow me to excel at academics =\

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

bump

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Well I was sort of in the same boat as you last year. I went to a 4-year school for my first semester and hated it and now go to a two-year community college. If you really don't want to go to any of the schools you got into I would suggest community college. It really is not as bad as people make it out to be and itís a great place to get used to college while assessing what you really want from college and your education. I am not sure about UCSD, but a lot of schools have on campus housing for transfers so the transfers can all mingle and make some connections, plus with the money you save you could go to a school near to UCSD (La Jolla is a small area so you would be bound to meet a lot of the kids from UCSD) that has a TAG connection to UCSD. My school has one and I believe all you need is like a 2.8 in the TAG required classes to be guaranteed acceptance, even in spring semester.

Here are the classes required for TAG
http://www.palomar.edu/counseling/transfercenter/pdf%20files/TAG%20Core%2003-04.pdf

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Kinkbycycles04: Awesome man. You really clarified some of the worries that I had. Thanks for that. By the way, where did you first go (4-year), here do you go now, and where are you planning to transfer to?

Oh yeah, why did yuo say that you hated the 4-year? I myself have no problem with them, just that the ones I got into aren't my favorite choices.

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I went to University of Arizona (I really have no idea why) and now I go to Palomar College. I applied to transfer to USC and Claremont McKenna this year, but had UCSD had slightly more lax math requirements for econ I would have probably utilized the TAG myself.

You would be surprised at a lot of the kids that end up at community colleges. Last semester I had a couple kids in my math class that went to Berkeley and didn't like it and I know of at least 3 kids I used to be friends with that are at Palomar now from Davis, so there will be kids to mingle with that have similar academic aspirations and work habits as you, even at community college. If you end up going to a two-year school you will probably question if it was the right choice, but at least for me it has been an easy way of moving up the academic ladder and has provided me another chance to get into a school I might be truly happy at. If UCSD is where you really want to go, I recommend you to go for it, even if it means two years at junior college.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Wow this is all what I've been wanting to hear. I'm glad I was able to get this information from somebody who experienced it first hand before I went ahead and made a decision. I also just found out from UCLA that they offer priority to community colleges, then other UC's... so there is still a chance with that. However the majors and systems would seem very limited.

I am taking your information to my parents and we will consider it. Thanks again man, and good luck~

PS: I will be visiting UCI/UCSB before making any decision to not enroll at them to see all of the 'rumors' first hand.

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:22 pm: Edit

I forgot to mention that if you work really hard it will not even take two full years. If you take summer school the summer you graduate and the next summer and maintain around 16 units a semester you can accumulate the required amount of units in 3 semesters.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

O_O!? I was actually considering that option as well. However I have to research the community colleges and would probably need priority on choosing classes. However that does sound like a great idea! Thanks again.

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

"I also just found out from UCLA that they offer priority to community colleges, then other UC's... so there is still a chance with that. However, the majors and systems would seem very limited. "

That is very true and applies to most of the schools I looked at. They like to take community college kids first since it is not possible to receive a BA, BS degree from a two-year school. Thankfully I was lazy and never got around to transferring my classes from U of A, which worked in my favor because my grades went to hell after my dad had a stroke and I walked out of my finals to come home and be here for him and as far as any school knows I have always been a community college student. Haha if your parents give you any grief over it just explain to them all the money they will save. God knows my parents are probably going to cry next year, they went from paying for me to go to Palomar (like $400 a semester) to if I get in, a $30,000 private school and my sister graduated from Berkeley (8 grand) and is off to Columbia Law (unless Yale or Harvard let her in).

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Wow good stuff for your sister. That's the kind of stuff that I feel I am giving up by going to one of the schools I'd settle for. One of my parents' biggest concerns is the housing for community colleges. I got a fair amount of FAFSA for the Universities, but how is it for cc's? Oh yeah good •••• on skipping the U of A grades, LoL. I was actually going to go there because my friend there recommended their med program, but not sure it seems deserted. =x

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

" O_O!? I was actually considering that option as well. However I have to research the community colleges and would probably need priority on choosing classes. However that does sound like a great idea! Thanks again."

If you to a school around here (San Diego) all the required classes to transfer are easy to get because so many people utilize TAG. I think I need to start typing my responses in word so it can yell at me for my atrocious grammar.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Haha it's all good. I understand what you're saying. Anyways, I hear that Mesa College is the closest cc to UCSD and is also a good choice to transfer. However, doesn't the TAG bind you to UCSD? Let's say that after two years with the TAG I want to transfer somewhere else other than UCSD. Would they void all of my classes and it would have been wasted??

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I do not think any of the community colleges around here have housing associated with them, but with a roommate or two (or three for La Jolla) I suppose it would be quite competitive with dorm rates. Plus you don't have to live in a room that resembles a dungeon. I could be wrong though, I think I actually remember a dorm/apartment building on the SDSU campus being for community college kids to live at so they can be part of the atmosphere even before they transfer. UCSD might have something like that.

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

If I understand what you are asking, no it won't void your classes. The TAG classes are widely used general ed's that most colleges would accept. You just would not have a guranteed admittance to another school like you did at UCSD so you would face the same addmitance requirments as a normal transfer. My friend actually goes to Mesa now and he seems to like it more than Palomar. It should be around 15-20 minutes from La Jolla, just more inland.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Awesome, thanks again man. That about answers everything except the costs of housing, transportation etc. >_< You mind letting me know some estimates on each?

By Kinkbicycles04 (Kinkbicycles04) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Around Mesa should not be all that expensive, maybe like $1100 for a single bedroom in a nice area and $1200-1400 for a two bedroom. It sounds like a lot, but for San Diego that is pretty cheap. To live in La Jolla is probably similar to where I live so you are looking at 1300+ for a bare, basic apartment. I just remembered that housing is probably a lot cheaper at a UC than it was for me out of state, so I really do not know how that would compare. The tuition money saved alone should be nearly sufficient to cover rent with a roommate and by the second year you would need an apartment at most colleges anyways. Transportation I can't really help with, San Diego has some of the worst public transportation anywhere and the most expensive gas prices.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Well that about covers it. I actually live close to San Diego so I'm familiar with the transportation crap, haha. I'll probably be within walking or biking distance of wherever I attend. It sucks because I would be getting so much money to go to the UC's from FAFSA but very little for a cc. Oh well I'm still in the process of deciding. Thanks for your feedback again, much appreciated. Good luck and see ya later~

By Turboswe (Turboswe) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

so what are the chances of transfering from one UC school to another? is it much harder then a cc? what type of gpa does one need to have?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page