By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

no contest.. nyu

By Dorkface (Dorkface) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

nyu

... stern rules all.

By Cornell06 (Cornell06) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

NYU

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

i was afraid i'd get these responses...i had my heart all set out on cornell but i guess its good im 2nd guessing on it..

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

Although Cornell is the reject ivy, I still think it is slightly more prestigious than NYU.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:12 am: Edit

Definitely Cornell.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:36 am: Edit

The newer Johnson School at Cornell is getting a lot of respect, but it doesn't compare with NYU's Stern -- yet. Being in the heart of the capital of the world of finance gives Stern a definite advantage. However, if you want a campus, then Cornell all the way.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

In terms of overall institution, of course Cornell is a more prestigious. But when judging based upon programs, NYU's Stern is definitely more prestigious. Even at the graduate level, NYU's Stern is one of the elite.

By Cornellian (Cornellian) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

NYU has a definite edge over Cornell. If you really want to do business, go to Stern, if you're unsure you might want to consider Cornell.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

I'd have to give it to Cornell based on 1. amount of graduates 2. actual requirements and course offerings 3. power of "Cornell" on your resume. Stern students will admit that they don't say they go to NYU, they go to Stern, because outside of Stern and Tisch, NYU is mediocre. Yes, being in the city will give an advantage: ability to be an intern during the school year. This is pretty nice, but most students do not take advantage of this and even if they do, it isn't that large of an advantage. Cornell has great departments that you can take advantage of as a business major, such as operations research and policy analysis. Note however, you will have a lower GPA at Cornell than at NYU. Take that into consideration. If you would rather be at Cornell than at NYU, go to Cornell. If you would rather be at NYU, go to NYU. The quality of both programs are extremely high. BTW, Stern grad isn't as good (compared with MBA programs) as stern undergrad is with other programs. Stern undergrad is always higher ranked than grad.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

It's often very hard to distinguish schools that are in the same general category, but when considering NYU against others such as Cornell, JHU, U of Chicago, Georgetown, etc., NYU is a clear standout, and here's why.

Academically, you will get just as good of an education as any of the others that I mentioned, but let's say figuratively that classes end at 3:00 everyday...After 3:00, you can:

Cornell: Shoot pool at the student center
NYU: Go uptown for the Britney Spears record signing.

Cornell: Play cards at the student center
NYU: Take the subway to Madison Square Garden (Knicks/Rangers), Yankees Stadium, or Shea stadium

Cornell: Hang out in friend's dorm
NYU: Go to American Museum of Natural History, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim, the U.N. building, etc.

Cornell: Get something to eat at the cafeteria
NYU: Needless to say, your food choices are literally endless...

Cornell: You aren't allowed to have a car on campus, so you're pretty much stuck where you are.
NYU: You have the world's largest public transportation system that can take you literally door to door to anywhere you want to go.

Cornell: You can walk around campus like an idiot looking for something to do
NYU: You can get tickets to any broadway show, and visit live tapings of Letterman, Howard Stern, many news shows, etc...

Cornell: You can ride your bike around campus and watch the pretty grass grow
NYU: You can ride the indoor ferris wheel in the Toys R Us in Times Square.

...I can go on and on, but you get my point. I could never understand the point of literally giving 4+ years of my life away to go to college somewhere in the sticks where nothing happens. Going to NYU makes you a New Yorker first, who happens to go to NYU during the day. Obviously NYC isn't for everyone, and it is definitely expensive, but IMO, the benefits far outweight any possible detractors.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

CCuser,

On what grounds do you make your comments about Stern undergrad being better than Grad? On what basis do you post such a fallacy?...I'm just curious. Are you affiliated with the university? It's funny how almost everyone on these forums seem to know everything about every university, even though they probably haven't left their state in a while...to the OP, don't put too much stock into the posts here that are usually posted by ivy-wannabes who want to sound elitist and smart.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I'll respond to your first post, first:

Other than food, all of the things you listed are ridiculous! Are you going to be going to these 100 dollar a seat broadway shows every night? Are you going to be riding a ferris wheel meant for 6 year olds every day? STUDENTS ARE ALLOWED CARS ON CAMPUS, AND I HAVE ONE! Cornell has a very nice museum on campus that rotates exhibitions often, but obviously isnt as great as the MET, guggenheim, etc. Howard Stern doesnt offer any tickets to view his RADIO show! You're going to MSG every night? Tickets are always sold out and extremely expensive if available, not to mention Knicks/Rangers only play half the year. All of the things you mention are just utterly stupid. You are obviously not familiar with college life (if dorming) which consists mostly of sitting in your room by your computer either doing work or watching TV. Going outside of your room will constitute maybe 20% of your free time. And Ithaca offers a lot things to do, if you're interested in these cultural events, such as on/off-campus plays, musical events (Ludacris and other artists have come to Ithaca this year), community discussions, almost anything that is offered in NYC, but on a smaller scale. New York obviously provides more opportunities for things to do than does Ithaca, but you won't take advantage of 99.9% of it, so it will not matter. This comes from someone who has lived in NY for 18 years and goes to Cornell. If you think you will go to plays, concerts, sports events, "britney spears record signings", etc, more than a couple of times in the entire year, you're living in a fantasy world. You should realize that these types of things get old VERY quickly. Also, your second point is completely idiotic! You think you are a New Yorker after spending 8 months out of the year, living in fantasy camp NYU dorms for four years? Try having a job in NY, having a little stake in what happens in the city. Taxes rise in NY? Why would you care, your family makes money in CA, MA, Illinois, etc. NYU students don't come out of school as NYers. Living in the city full-time, being effected by events and policies, making your money in the city, living a comparable life to most other city residents IS WHAT MAKES A NYer. Paying 45 Gs to go to school in a neighborhood that doesnt represent the city as a whole is not what being a NYer is. A non-NYC student from NY is more affected by things that go on in NY than an NYU student from outside NYC.

Second post:
Check the U.S. News rankings, stern undergrad is around 5, while Grad is around 10. This is not to say that the people in Stern undergrad are smarter than Stern Grad. I'm just talking about the rankings of the programs in their respective categories. Obviously Stern MBA students are much more advanced than Stern undergrads. Both are great programs. If you would have read my post more closely and concetrated a little, you would have seen that I wrote "compared with other MBA programs".

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

"power of "Cornell" on your resume." If you're alluding to the fact that Cornell is prestigious, you're wrong. Especially when compared to NYU for business.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

If you graduate from busines at NYU your diploma is from Stern...it's retarded to compare the business program at stern to the business program at cornell...i can see if you compare maybe an undergrad economics degree at columbia to stern since both have similar resources.. but even then stern is still better if your looking to get right in the field upon graduation

...and any parallels you are trying to draw with the social life at cornell as compared to that in nyc, is such a far fetched stretch that you look foolish

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Well, the fact is Cornell is prestigous. Whether or not you believe so is irrelevant.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

The reality is: NYU has no social life, everything is based around being in the city. So basically your social life is has nothing to do with NYU. I have had relatives and friends, all very sociable, make almost no friends at NYU. My friend, walk around Washington Square Park, and just look at NYU students, for the most part they are artsy liberals whose brains could be replaced with peanuts resulting in little lasting effect. Stern students are very bright, but their greatest resource is not their faculty, students, or reputation, its the city where they are located, and that isn't enough to be greater than universities like Columbia, Cornell, etc. Cornell has many more "resources" than NYU because they are involved in many more fields than NYU. But that depends on what your definition of resources are.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

"college life (if dorming) which consists mostly of sitting in your room by your computer either doing work or watching TV. Going outside of your room will constitute maybe 20% of your free time"

Thank you, you just proved my point...At a traditional campus this would be true, as there is nothing to do, but at NYU this is not the case. I live in Staten Island, a borough of NYC, and I can tell you that where NYU is, "the Village", is just as much NYC as any other part. It most undoubtedly represents the city...If you spend 80% of your time in class or in your dorm, then I sincerely feel bad for you; you are clearly wasting 4 years of your life. Somehow I get the feeling you are a disgruntled Cornell student who can't bear to hear just a slight criticism of your school...Just out of curiosity, what are you doing tonight? Something on campus, I presume? I'm catching the express bus into Manhattan to go to Babbo, Mario Batali's new rave Italian restaurant. Starting Sept., I won't even have to take the bus, since I'll already be in the city, at NYU! Either way, I'm glad you're up in the boonies at Ithaca, since you're obviously happy there...good tidings...

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

"Well, the fact is Cornell is prestigous. Whether or not you believe so is irrelevant."

..not more than nyu in the business field..

"Cornell has many more "resources" than NYU because they are involved in many more fields than NYU"
..we are not talking about how many fields cornell is invovled in, we are talking about one field in particular BUSINESS

As a student at Cornell you are obviously extremely subjective in your opinion... but at least stick to this topic of this post.. we are talking about BUSINESS PROGRAMS... the only one who wil argue cornell is better than stern undergrad is you.. and it is foolish because it's no comparison in reality

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Ithaca is such a dead town that it amazes me you tried to pit it agasint nyc.. first time i ever seen someone try to do that that... can you say subjective?

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

""Well, the fact is Cornell is prestigous. Whether or not you believe so is irrelevant."

..not more than nyu in the business field.. "

You are just biased, plain and simple. Cornell engineers get more job offers in business than Stern graduates. WITHOUT A DOUBT. Cornell business majors get just as many job offers as Sternies. I've interviewed with Sternies, and taken internships from Sternies, they arent students that employers dont see often. Sternies compete with each other for jobs because there are so many of them. A few of my best friends actually go to Stern, studying finance, marketing, and accounting. All but one has no internship this summer. My classmates in my business courses at Cornell have GS, JPM, ML, Morgan Stanley internships this summer. What NYU students have is an opportunity to find internships during the school year, which is something that very few do. And btw, Staten Island? you've got to be kidding me. People from staten island shouldnt have opinion about jack. You're the ones who are subjective assuming Ithaca is the "sticks", Most of America, and the world is "the sticks", and in your careers, you'll find yourself in "the sticks". If you are dumb enough to believe that you will go to all your classes-->go to plays--> have dinner at four-star restaraunts--> go to sporting events-->go to the best clubs at night, every day or even week, you are a wacko. You are a high school senior, I'm assuming. When you get to college, and a month goes by, come back to this thread. Because my friends from NYU, BU, Stanford, Upenn, UC-B, all sit online for half their time. Because EVERYTHING, no matter how great it is, gets old. Yes even the damn museums, and plays, and sporting events get old. And after a month of blowing away money, you'll be sitting in ur dorm room every nite and most weekends. I live in Manhattan, and am BORED when I get home. In the end, it doesnt matter how many activities you have available , rather its the people who are around you and how much of a community the school is. Thats what makes a social life. So shut it if you high schoolers dont know what you guys are talking about.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

"Because my friends from NYU, BU, Stanford, Upenn, UC-B, all sit online for half their time."

Since when are your friends indicative of the whole college’s social life? It seems to me you and a lot of people you associate with are sitting home in your dorms a lot.. a lot of my friends in college are never around because they are always out doing something.. hmm

And as far as your argument that cornell can compete with nyu in the business field.. well it is all unfounded... all you are doing is stating personal opinion.. and your personal opinion is extremely subjective and biased as you are a student at cornell... look to the facts.. look to the responses from everyone else...do you not find it strange that you are the only one who is arguing for cornell?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

"What NYU students have is an opportunity to find internships during the school year, which is something that very few do."

.. also extremely false nyu probably has the highest internship rate around.. especially for business.... all of your opinions are based on a small sample of people/occurances you know of personally...step back and look at the larger picture; the facts

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

So all you do after classes are done for the day is stay in your room? Sounds to me like you live in an old age home, and not a college dorm. College, first and foremost is about getting the best education you can possibly get, but also about enjoying yourself, having a good time, and doings things that are fun, since you are away from home for the first time in most cases. You only go to college once. It's sad that you are working so hard as to not come out of your room at Cornell. (After all, a Cornell degree really isn't worth working that hard over) You are right about one thing, though, and that is that there are many NYU students who do not socialize at all with other NYU students, simply because they find their niche elsewhere in the city. They aren't forced to socialize with the same group of brains and away-from-home students. I know many NYU kids who are very good friends with people who live and work in the city, but have nothing to do with the university. Lots of NYU kids are members on bowling/billiard teams elsewhere in the city. They go out with people they meet in the gym; They are members of various book clubs and theatre parties, etc...

"its the people who are around you and how much of a community the school is. Thats what makes a social life"

That's too bad for you, since you are forced to socialize with a few thousand people up at Cornell...here in the city, we can find our place among millions. I1lmatics, how much happier does this poster make you that we are going to NYU in Sept.? I purposefully didn't shoot for the ivy league, just so I could avoid this kind of BS

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Sheesh, I'm being bused up to Cornell in mid-April...I hope the people there are nothing like Ccuser.

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

wowwww i didn't realize how popular my post became...well as of now i think NYU is winning by a bit in the competition!!

see here's my theory about the social life...Cornell is out in the middle of nowhere...literally, so all they have to do there is party. they study hard allll week and then they drink for the entire weekend. that's why everyone up there has a beer gut. but since theres nothign to do up there, they're more like one big happy family bc they just all get together and stuff. on the other hand, NYU has sooo much to do that the school is less united bc they find their own things to do and the campus really isn't much..which doesn't help in the uniting. what i wanna know is...how often the NYU kids party and stuff, cause from what I've heard so far...academically Stern is quite a bit above what Cornell has to offer...

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

While I don't attend NYU currently, 3 of my friends do, and I practically spent all of last summer in their NYU dorms...NYU kids party regularly in dorms, but the big thing to do is to go out and have a good time in a small neighborhood bar/pub. There are plenty of hole in the all watering holes where NYU kids gather to drink, smoke, play pool/darts, and altogether have an awesome time...Partying is said to be most abundant just before mid-term studying begins, and just before studying for finals begins. And reiterating what I said above, if NYU kids aren't in much of a partying mood, but you are, go walk around town and you are bound to find somewhere that's happening. In Manhattan, the number of young, singles joints are practically endless, as well as the many strip clubs, lounges, dance clubs, gentlemen's cabarets, etc...there is always SOMETHING to do, no matter if you're with NYU kids or not. And a variety of moods can be satisfied as well. If you want to just hang low with your friends, you can go to a movie. Want to take the girl of your dreams out on a date, take her to the many world-class restaurants there are in NYC. Need somewhere to put up your parents for the weekend?; put them in the Waldorf...Want to have a REALLY good time?; get some singles and head over to the 18 yo minimum strip clubs...Believe me, despite there being more of a warm, cozy, community feel to a typical campus, such as Cornell, being around the same people all the time gets boring, and very uninteresting.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

fhmamii i think we have a lot in common...i definatly party more than the averavge high schooler and i will def admit that one of my concerns with nyu was all the hype that there is not community..this is what i came to realize:

while i'm sure it is very true that nyu kids can do their own thing..i believe it is also important to keep in mind it is a huge school. There will always be factions of it who are eager to party with fellow nyu'ers... their greek scene is small but albiet it does exist.. i figure just because they dont have 2000 fraternities/sororities like some schools, the very few that they do have will cover the slack...

... i think what makes the social life at nyu great is if you get sick of the whole on campus partying.. you can always hop over to a club or bar with the friends you make

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I think Ccuser's friends, along with himself, are losers. I stand by my assertion that Cornell is not prestigious as a business school, because it's not. Perhaps in engineering it will garner some attention, but in business, it's about as good as having a biology degree from the London School of Economics. If this guy wants to do business, the choice is NYU Stern, hands down. You're fighting a losing battle by giving us your misguided, biased and anecdotal evidence, just admit you're wrong and move on with your life.

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

you know...i never realized that there hassss to be other party people in school!!! and you're right, NYU will be what I make of it...

By U2rules (U2rules) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

ok i'd like to ask some of you guys.
which school would you pick u of Michigan or Stern?
michigan has a better business program than stern but then if your concerned about the prestige maybe michigan doesn't look too appealing now does it.

Fhamii.what school did you apply to at cornell.
School of Agriculture and life sciences or an eco degree at the College?
b.t.w-Econ grads from the college get paid higher than grads from aem program.

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

I applied to AEM at the Ag & Life Sciences

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

You guys are just thick. I dont care how many of you NYU people contend that I am subjective and backing up my arguments with examples of the "losers" i know. All I know is that you guys are high school students, ambitious, hopeful, and eager to save the world and do all these amazing things. When it comes down to actually being in college, rather than dreaming about it like you are, school is about work and the amazing opportunities that are available in NY (remember, I am from NY), you just will not take advantage of. How many times will you go to these museums? How many plays will you attend? Will you do this every day? NO YOU WONT! And when you get to school you will learn that. So your argument as to why NYU is better than Cornell in business is all about being in NY. Explain to me exactly WHY it is better. What classes does NYU offer that Cornell doesnt? You won't find any, because Cornell offers more classes. You have never applied for jobs or internships. I was accepted at Stern, and I contend that it is a great school, and that for many people NYU would be a better fit. However, my contention is that the classes and education received from NYU overall is not as broad (NYU students have business classes in Stern only, while Cornell offers business related classes in departments across the university with other views of business, such as ILR, Hotel management, AEM, Policy Analysis, Operations Research, etc.). These departments are non-existent in NYU (other than hotel management and AEM, which is the official business major). And to come off and say that Cornell isnt prestigous? You are uninformed. If you want to look at in terms of the BS rankings by US news, look at the reputation scores for Cornell and NYU. Why is Cornell at 14 and NYU in the mid 30s? Why does Cornell have so many more Nobel prize winners? To the original poster who asked which school is better: Don't listen to retards saying that "NYU is better without a doubt" because if you have read, their only contention is that NYU is in NY, aside from that there have been no substantive reasons given. I am contending the education and course variety is better in Cornell, and I have given specific reasons. Basically, the choice isnt clear between the two, because you must decide whether being in NYC is more important or attending a more prestigous school, with less of a reputation for being a cookie-cutter business school. BTW, I am in fact not a loser. When I come back from classes 9am - 3pm, I go to my room, sleep for a couple of hours, eat, do work, and drink with my friends. Will you come from class, and run to a museum?

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

"BTW, I am in fact not a loser. When I come back from classes 9am - 3pm, I go to my room, sleep for a couple of hours, eat, do work, and drink with my friends." Work, sleep, eat, work, drink alcohol... you definitely sound like a loser, typical Cornell student.

Fhmamii, it's really up to you to decide where you want to matriculate. As you can see from the posts here most people recommend NYU, and recommendations are all that you're going to get so take them as you will. Good luck in all your college endeavors.

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Yeah, NYU definitely has a better atmosphere, diversity, and prestige. Ask any regular person if he or she knows COrnell and you will get a blank stare. Ask them if they know NYU and they will all answer with an emphatic YES!

By U2rules (U2rules) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

lol...
cornell is a friggin ivy league college.
on the whole nyu is nowhere in the league of cornell.the last post was stupid.
fhmanii have you even got into these colleges?
you probably have got likely letters.
just do what you feel is best man..
dont listen to any of us.its your life.its fine for people here to rave about the social life at nyc etc but in the end they aren't gonna be paying your bills or helping you be successful.
so just go for it.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Who cares if it's ivy league? That doesn't mean that it's the best for everything. Choose Stern.

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

"cornell is a friggin ivy league college." That's a nice cop out. I think NYU has much more name recognition than Cornell and those who do know of Cornell usually know it's the worst Ivy League school. And that's overall. For business, NYU is simply better.

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

After 3:00, you can also:

Cornell: Shoot pool at the student center
NYU: Shoot Heroin in Tompkins square park a few blocks away

Cornell: Play cards at the student center
NYU: Lose 20 bucks playing cards with a street hustler

Cornell: Hang out in friend's dorm
NYU: Get hung out a window by a burglar in your friend's dorm

Cornell: Get something to eat at the cafeteria
NYU: Eat a street hot dog and get ptomaine

Cornell: You aren't allowed to have a car on campus, so you're pretty much stuck where you are.
NYU: You have the world's largest public urine-stinking subway system that can take you literally door to door to anywhere you want to go and make you sick to your stomach on the way.

Cornell: You can walk around campus like an idiot looking for something to do
NYU: You can walk around looking like an NYU student from out of town and be accosted, mugged, or raped.

Cornell: You can ride your bike around campus and watch the pretty grass grow
NYU: You can have your bike stolen in about 10 seconds flat and buy it back 5 blocks away.

I went to Tisch.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I wouldn't recommend NYU to everyone. Having lived in Manhattan for 15 years and knowing numerous students there (not just "3 friends," which is what Chris bases his view off of), I can genuinely tell you that NYU has a big potential to turn into a lackluster experience. People often romanticize New York City - I will tell you right now that it's not. Maybe for Chris, who believes he'll have enough money as a college students to take dates to world-class restaurants and use the city fully, NYU seems like heaven. But for the majority of students, it's college, and it's incredibly inpersonal in the sense that there's no unified campus. It can be fun for some people, but, for others, just taking classes in NYC without any of the college campus experience, not knowing who's a student and who's just a sketchy NYC resident - that can be really scary for some people. The village and the surrounding areas aren't a haven at night for college students. GW park used to be a pretty heavy cocaine dealing place before it was cleaned up. It's still pretty sketchy now.

It really comes down to environment. Cornell has a unified campus that's distinct from the neighboring town. You walk around on campus, campus buildings are distinct, and there's a fair sense of community and familiarity between Cornell students. It's safe and friendly.

NYU is different. If you're the type that flourishes in a city environment where a large portion of independence is required, go for it. If you're quickly able to network, socialize, and make friends, you'll probably do well at NYU. If you're looking for the college experience with quads, grass, etc, don't go the NYU. NYU is all cramped living in a super-urban area where you're just another anonymous young person. There's less reaching out from student to student here, because, quite frankly, you can't tell who is and who isn't.

Regarding prestige, Cornell and NYU both have name recognition. Cornell is an ivy, and I'm surprised to find people here demeaning it and calling it the easiest ivy. Cornell is selective, and people in the professional world know Cornell. Seriously, who cares about the random guy on the street? Hell, should I have gone to Harvard, because that's the only university people in China know? Hell no, I went where I wanted, I went where I liked the environment.

Cornell somewhat represents the typical college experience - nice buildings, grass, a contained campus.

NYU is big, disparate, and anonymous. Chris likes to argue that he doesn't want to see the same people over and over again. Well, if Cornell's size is too small, I guess he wouldn't want anything less than state schools, because few privates reach the size of Cornell and NYU.

Most people here talk about prestige and job recruitment. I worked at JP morgan last summer in their Investment Bank Training department. Any good student from any good university will get hired. In fact, there are more Whartonites than NYUers - much more, i noticed, despite the fact that Wharton isn't in NYU. There were plenty of LAC students etc. It's good grades and hard work and persistence that lands you the job. Just going to the school won't get you in.

Just my two cents.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

well put

By Almost_Insane (Almost_Insane) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I agree that Cornell overall is better than NYU. However I do believe that in terms of business NYU stands out more than Cornell only because it's located in a cosmopolitan where a huge chunk of companies are located and headquarted at (ex. Citibank, Metlife, GE, Viacom, etc.). Especially if you want to work with a major corporation like Citibank, New York City will way better for you . Plus if you intern for Citibank than you will have a huge advantage over other job seekers after college. If you are looking for a school that has an excellent business program than both Cornell and NYU would be good. However if you want an excellent business school with endless business opportunities like internships, which would be helpful post college than NYU would definitely outrank Cornell in that aspect. New York City is the city of opportunity and with a school like NYU being located there with their connections in business, you would have a really good advantage against others post college.

By U2rules (U2rules) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

lol noodleman..
i like people with different perspectives.
someone said cornll was the worst ivy league.
well im not in at cornell so i cant be biased but the ivy league is the freakin ivy league!

it doesnt matter if its the worst or the best.
it's still an awesome school.
Nyu isnt even in the top 25

By Noodleman (Noodleman) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Thanks.

Put it this way: I was accepted to NYU (Tisch) and went there (for a year). I grew up in NYC, know it like the back of my hand, and still felt lost at NYU. I felt like I was still in High School. There is no "Campus" to speak of.

I'd be pretty much a lock to return there to finish my undergrad, but I didn't even apply.

I did apply to Cornell, though.

Just my .02.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

"it doesnt matter if its the worst or the best.
it's still an awesome school.
Nyu isnt even in the top 25 "

admission criteria at both schools are fairly equal for starters but that is besides the point... revert back to the ops original question "Cornell or NYU if i'm going for business? heeeelllpppppppp " ... we are talking about BUSINESS here not overall undergrad rankings.. NYU Stern is typically ranked in the top 5 for business both for undergrad and grad.. cornell is not and those are the facts..
..while nyu is highly regarded due to its location, that is not the main factor. NYU Stern has the top business professors who are at the top of their field.. they attract the creme of the crop.. it doesn't matter if you can take the same classes at cornell as cuse says... its the QUALITY of the class and who is teaching it.. stern tops cornell in that regard

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

US News rankings are absolutely useless and moot; they definitely do not do any school any justice. They factor in useless variables in making their rankings such as alumni giving rates, number of degrees conferred, number of NCAA teams, etc...Let's take a look at NYU on their list; it's ranked #35. Some schools that are ranked above it are:

Washington U. St Louis
Northwestern
Rice
Emory
Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
UVA
U of Michigan Ann Arbor
Tufts
Wake Forest
Brandeis
UC - SD
U of Wisconsin - Madison

How many of the above schools do you really think are better than NYU? You're telling me that Madison, Wake Forest, and Brandeis garner more recognition and quality reputation than NYU? Like I said, US News ranking are far from accurate from the viewpoint of academic prestige.

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

...much more responses than i expected. as of now i'm definately leaning toward the nyu side..

and for the record for whoever asked...yes i am accepted to Cornell and I got one of those university day invitation things from NYU so i'm taking that as hopefully a likely

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

>

All except maybe UCSD. NYU has great departments in: business, applied math, theatre. Thats it. Stern is great. Cornell professors are also at the frontiers of business and research. Basically does it matter to you whether or not your professor works part-time at a company. It's the professors background and breadth of knowledge. In both schools, that equal. NYU has an advantage in being in the city. Thats it. If you move the students and faculty of NYU to Arkansas, we wouldnt be having this discussion. But its high schoolers perception of "being in NY" that makes them think so highly of NYU. In reality, average and below average students apply to NYU, along with some very bright ones. FHmamii, or any student in his/her situation should ask themselves: 1) Do I value a campus, or do i not mind not having a campus? 2) Which fits my personality? 3) Would I rather be surrounded by people I know in the middle of nowhere or surrounded by strangers in the biggest city in the world? NYC is a great city, and I love it. But it definitly has terrible sides and is not for everyone. Good luck in your decision and VISIT BOTH SCHOOLS! Don't just take people's opinions.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

You believe that all of those schools, besides UCSD should be ranked higher than NYU? I guess you just validated your previous posts, as it is evident that you know very little about NYU. Calling it "mediocre" is nothing short of slander. I can assure you that NYU got 34,000+ applications this year, not solely because it was in NYC, but because it is also one of the best doctoral universities in the country. Why didn't Pace, in NYC get such a significant number of applications? Or how about Fordham? Hunter/City College? Those are the schools that are mediocre, and I would guess that the 34,000+ that applied to NYU this year would agree. You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and I encourage you to express it here, but don't go and say that NYU is only mediocre, and would be nothing w/o NYC...That's just a misrepresentation of fact.

By Mochika88 (Mochika88) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

NYU guys trust me I've been there, business, law, med, location it all beats cornell, cornell is THE reject ivy

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Cornell is kind of a joke. Just look at their admission statistics, not what most people think when they hear "Ivy League."

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Chris...2 points on your last comment:
1. If you are comparing NYU to Hunter/City in the sciences, stop because hunter and city both destroy NYU in terms of professors and research. Baruch College in NY is a quality business program with professors that are just as experienced in business as NYU professors. However, overall, you are right, NYU is better and deserves more attention than Fordham/Hunter/City/Pace. But what does that say? Those schools are overall poor. They are all strapped for cash. So yes, NYU is definitly a great school compared to Pace. However, if you compare NYU to the Ivy League, MIT, Stanford, UChicago, and other elite programs, NYU is simply mediocre. Outside business, applied math, and theatre they have no top rated programs. You have no substance in your argument. All you say is: Cornell is the reject Ivy (which you probably wouldn't be admitted at), and NYU is great, we're in the city. Nothing as to why it is so great.

Point 2: NYU gets more apps than Pace, City, Hunter, and Fordham because 1) its in a better part of the city (other than pace), and most importantly: It is called "NEW YORK UNIVERSITY" , not PACE university. If I'm some hillbilly hopign to get out of my small town in alabama and I want to go to NYC, what is the first school I think about? New York University, or PACE?? Just having the words "New York" in their name probably gets them 80% of their application. Did you know that Columbia officially known as Columbia University in the City of New York? Why do you think they did that? It's all marketing gimmicks in order to get "New York" out there to prospective students. You are extremely biased in your thinking and don't back any of your arguments with substance. I call NYU mediocre compared to the best schools in the US, which INCLUDES Cornell, no matter what the tards on this thread think. Compared to the top its mediocre. Overall, its a good school that is thought of too highly because its called New York University. You know that NYU has only gotten competitive in the last 8 years or so. Back when my older cousins were applying to school, NYU was thought of on the same scales as Stony Brooky, Albany, and Binghamton. NYU even being in the top 50 universities in the country is a relatively new occurance.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

>>Cornell is kind of a joke. Just look at their admission statistics, not what most people think when they hear "Ivy League."

That's easy to say for someone who got into Yale. Cornell's not another HYP, but it's still a fine school.

Just a warning to those who are thinking about NYU: when you end up in a bad dorm in a bad part of the city, ten minutes away from your nearest class and totally lost in the maze of the village, by then it's a bit too late to reconsider your college choices. NYC and the NYU experience are too often romanticized by people who do not live in the city. I've lived in Manhattan for 15 years, know significant numbers of NYU people, and I can tell you that NYU is not heaven. It takes a lot of money to enjoy the full NYC experience, and I doubt many of you will be able to eat at good restaurants and do many other things... seriously, only millionaires really enjoy NYC for what it is. Chris likes to accuse others of saying, "NYU is only mediocre, and would be nothing w/o NYC...That's just a misrepresentation of fact." I say to that: NYU is pretty mediocre for a lot of people WITH NYC.

VISIT before you make your choice. NYU is big, maze-like, and anonymous. It just gets a lot of applications because it's better known, and much more prestigious than CUNY. Columbia also has a low acceptance, since lots apply for the NYC environment. Few parts of NYC are utopia, and you will certainly not find the Village to be such a place. If you are still attracted to the NYU environment, then I wholeheartedly wish you the best of luck and hope you're not dissapointed in a few months.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

"Cornell is the reject Ivy (which you probably wouldn't be admitted at)"

It's nice to see you have substance in accusing me of apparently not being smart enough to get into Cornell. I've got news for you: It's no big feat getting into Cornell and UPenn, despite their being in the hallowed "ivy league". Since 2002, NYU has had lower admissions percentages than Cornell, and according to the number of apps this year, that figure continues to get lower. That takes balls to say I'm not good enough to get into Cornell, when you have no clue what you're talking about. You are apparently correct in calling Cornell the reject ivy, in that judging by your posts, you are pretty much a reject.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

Chris, NYU gets more apps because its NEW YORK university. NYU isnt getting the apps, its the city of new york. Cornell's average SAT is roughly 100 points above NYU's, which doesnt count the general studies program which hasnt been mentioned. They let in 1000s and 1100s, but dont count them in their stats. NYU rejects people from CAS, counts their application in their published statistics, counts their rejection in their stats, yet gives them a spot in the school in the GSP, and doesnt include GSP in published stats used for rankings. The average NYU applicant (aside Stern) has about a 1100 SAT and applies to NYU because its in NY. Face it, every NYC student applies to NYU no matter if they have a shot. NYC students that dont want to leave the city all apply to NYU. Stern applicants average probably a 1300 and their stats are roughly the same as Cornell students. Cornell's competitors arent NYU. NYU takes very few common admits from Cornell. Cornell's competitors are UPenn (whose business program is GENUINELY better than Cornell's and NYU's despite not having all those amazing NYC opportunities that you scream about), Brown, Dartmouth, MIT in engineering, Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, etc. NYU competes for students with boston u., brandeis, George washington U, etc, : all fine schools, but not elite schools. And I never said you weren't good enough. You may very well be bright and very capable of succeeding at Cornell, however Cornell rejects many 1500s , 4.0s, so its a crapshoot to get into, where as a 1500 at NYU is a lock.

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:06 am: Edit

You shouldn't degrade Penn, Brown, Dartmouth, MIT and Harvard like that, they are not on the same level as Cornell. Cornell competes with Chicago (maybe), Rice, Emory, Berkeley, Michigan etc. The other ivies are simply there to take away Cornell's would-be good students. Just look at the cross matriculation rates.

As for you arguments about why NYU gets so many applicants, clearly, you are misguided. There are many universities in NYC but they are not as desirable as NYU. For instance, Columbia and Pace, both excellent schools, are in NYC but don't get nearly as many applications. As for your GSP comment, most schools have programs like this (e.g. Havard, Yale, Penn etc.). Bringing up stuff like this is like blasting a university for doing what it can to boost its rating; ALL schools do this, moron.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that you are just biased against NYU. You are simply spitting out bogus information now. The fact of the matter is, NYU is an excellent university on the level of Cornell; however, it's business program is much better, which is the topic at hand.

By Cornellian (Cornellian) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:17 am: Edit

I too agree that Ccuser is quite biased against NYU and for Cornell. Although my view may also be biased, being a Cornell admittee and probably matriculant, I'm not one's generic, GO BIG RED!!! student. I agree with Ares15 on all the points in his second paragraph. However, I do think Cornell's competitors are more along the lines of MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, etc. Yes, when people are excepted to Cornell and another ivy, Cornell usually loses out; however, being the safety school ivy league in itself makes it on the level of those aforementioned schools.

As for NYU's business program being better than Cornell, this is true. Cornell's program is on the rise but no where near the highly established Stern school of business. If accepted to both Cornell and NYU for business, I would definitely choose the latter. Also, as has been pointed out numerous times, NYC offers endless opportunities, whereas Ithaca is, well, Ithaca (I prefer peace and quiet =]).

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

"The average NYU applicant (aside Stern) has about a 1100 SAT and applies to NYU because its in NY. Face it, every NYC student applies to NYU no matter if they have a shot. NYC students that dont want to leave the city all apply to NYU. Stern applicants average probably a 1300 and their stats are roughly the same as Cornell students."

omg that was by far the most factitious argument made in this whole thread.
Middle 50% of freshman at nyu last year scored between 1300-1450 on the sats with a 26.3 acceptance rate. NYU does not release stats for indivdual schools, however a stern newsletter that came out last year quoted the dean as saying the stern's class sat average was approximatly 1420....

...now lets look at cornell ...1280-1470 with a 29% acceptance rate

...if you at the numbers nyu and cornell are fairly equal as a whole and if you zero in specifically on stern, it is harder to get into than cornell...and many people will agree to that

"You may very well be bright and very capable of succeeding at Cornell, however Cornell rejects many 1500s , 4.0s, so its a crapshoot to get into, where as a 1500 at NYU is a lock. "

That is also untrue.. NYU rejects 1500's just as cornell.. in fact probably more since they have a larger applicant pool.

...I never realized how desperate your argument was untill u started making up statistics.. GO CORNELL!!

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

ccuser,
i think it becomes a lost cause when people attending the same school as you are saying stern is better for business.

By Ccuser (Ccuser) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

i1lmatics, the poster doesnt go to cornell, they just got admitted.
Chris: Those are accepted students those are the stats of those who applied. I'm not saying the accept many 1100s into CAS or Stern but LOTS AND LOTS apply, making the acceptance rate lower.

And to Ares, buddy, I'm not gonna call you a moron. But I am gonna say that you are just plain wrong about everything you said. Columbia is a university that everyone knows is tough to get into. Therefore those 1100s i mentioned dont apply, and therefore Columbia has lower apps than NYU. Everyone thinks they havea shot at NYU, and therefore apply. And everyone does have a shot at NYU--> GSP. BTW, most schools do not have programs like GSP. Most schools that have these schools specifically set them up for students out of schools a long-time, older students,. etc. NYU doesnt do that, and let regular 1050 SAT, 2.7 GPA students in, and I know 2 of them that are in GSP. When someone in NY hears NYU, or someone in a high position in a company, they don't give a ••••. ARGUE THIS ALL YOU WANT, BUT THE NAME NYU FOR PEOPLE IN POWER MEANS NOTHING!! Cornell is a lot better than NYU (overall, not Stern). But in the end there is NO USE breaking down these schools into departments, because most of the classes you take are OUT of your major! So stop being idiots, and open your eyes. You're calling me biased now, you'll be calling me for a job later. Simple as that. this is my last response, feel free to add more of your nonsense and name calling now...

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:23 pm: Edit

I think all you are doing is driving the op away from Cornell...

you have yet to reveal anything of even slight fact

"Everyone thinks they havea shot at NYU, and therefore apply. "

Says who you?? You can say the same thing for any college in the nation.. my challenge to you is prove it

"Those are accepted students those are the stats of those who applied. I'm not saying the accept many 1100s into CAS or Stern but LOTS AND LOTS apply, making the acceptance rate lower"

Again, prove it.. you cant... you can use NYU as a blank and fill it in with any college in the country and make the same statement

"NYU doesnt do that, and let regular 1050 SAT, 2.7 GPA students in, and I know 2 of them that are in GSP"

First of all judging from this board the vast majority of gsp accetpees appear to have sats in the 1200s...second of all im not even sure if nyu counts gsp for the acceptance rate since they dont for the sat range... and even if they did, such a small percentage of the school is gsp that it would not effectively raise the acceptance rate above cornells if it were excluded.

"ARGUE THIS ALL YOU WANT, BUT THE NAME NYU FOR PEOPLE IN POWER MEANS NOTHING!! "

See now you are just talking out of your ass... a business degree from nyu stern is extremely recognized within the business community.. my best friends father heads the new york branch of a very prominent, nationaly recognized company (i wont say name on these fourms)... they have a huge recruiting base at nyu... and what he has told me is that for this region, stern, sloan, wharton are what his recruiters like to see (for undergrad placement).. he says once you get into mba level jobs, other ivies emerge at the top..ie. havard, darmouth

...i dont think you have yet to make one solid point in all 2000 posts of yours

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

"...you'll be calling me for a job later." Yes, when I graduate from Yale I'll be working for your pompous ass; keep dreaming loser. I know Cornell students, they're followers not leaders. I hope you end up working for an NYU graduate.

As for that silly comment about everyone having a chance at NYU therefore everyone applies... that is so ridiculously stupid. Why doesn't this apply to Pace University or your local community college?

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0ICQ/2003_March_24/99044634/p1/article.jhtml

Stop trying to rationalize it, a LOT of people want to go to NYU for a LOT of different reasons, one of them being that it's a great school.

By Cornell06 (Cornell06) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I am ashamed that Cornell let Ccuser in (assuming be your overzealous posts that you did get in); it's no wonder the university's prestige has been in somewhat of a decline.

Here it is Ccuser: NYU has a better business program than Cornell. I'll say it again: NYU has a better business program than Cornell. The vast majority of people here, Cornell, will agree. You are just a raving idiot and I can only hope you will fail miserably at life; with your mentality this should be a guarantee.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Have people ever realized that Cornell has a higher acceptance rate than the other Ivies b/c it has the LARGEST student body, campus, and classes(as in frosh, etc.)??? Cornell has the facilities to hold more students than the other Ivies, then Penn. Also, you cannot compare Cornell's acceptance rates to others b/c each individual college at Cornell has different criteria, etc. The Biology department at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell accepts around 15% of applicants. the Applied Economics and Management department also accepts around 12-15%. Sure, Ithaca isn't of the same caliber of NYC(i live in Long Island, and have been to Ithaca as well, so i've seen both), but it isn't "dead". Cornell has over 4000 classes, TONS of organizations, GREAT concerts(Ludacris was there around October/November i think), GREAT campus, and so much more. Cornell isn't the reject ivy, it is different from the others, and each Ivy has its own unique characteristics. You go to Cornell if you want diversity, a great college education, great college experience, and so much more. NYU definitely is a great school, but they are two completely different schools. Cornell has a defined campus, NYU doesn't. Cornell has more classes than NYU. NYU has a better business program. NYU has NYC. Visit both schools, and see which one fits you, and don't base it on biased views(including my own). Many students at Cornell who have friends at other Ivies say that they work as hard, if not harder than students at the others. Research Cornell before you make assumptions about it.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

I'm sure everyone has a biased view and you obviosuly favor cornell.. but you even said "NYU has a better business program" .. which is what the op is looking for

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

exactly

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

also, you can't compare Stern to Cornell, as that's like comparing Wharton to NYU. You have to compare the schools. Stern is the business program at NYU, Cornell isn't a business school, NYU isn't a business school. Cornell has the Applied Economics and Management program, thus you should compare that to Stern.

By Fhmamii (Fhmamii) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the responses!! I actually learned a lot from you guys...

By Rocksolid4 (Rocksolid4) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I don't even have an opinion on this, but I'm inclined to take the side of the Cornell people not because I know squat about either college, but because, having read most of these posts, there are about 3 people ferociously (and somewhat rudely) taking the side of NYU, while double that number of NYUers or former NYUers have said that it can be awful.

On a side note (and what prompted this post), WUSTL, Northwestern, Chicago, Rice, Emory, Berkeley, Michigan, Notre Dame, the entire Ivy League, MIT, and Tufts (all mentioned in this thread in a negative light, except for MIT and the cream of the Ivies, which people are smart enough to leave out) are all more prestigious schools than NYU. Out-of-the-know people will esteem Stern less; in-the-know people will certainly not esteem it any more than those aforementioned schools. Probably equally (if Stern), but not more. Half of my family friends are "in-the-know", having worked in graduate school academia in various fields (most on admissions committees now or at some point over the last decade) for 15+ years, and that is what any one of them would say if asked.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

i thought cornell didnt have undergraduate business anyway i heard alot of people who eventually want to go into business go to cornell hotel school and as you know usually cornell hotel school grads make a lot of money working for a few year at like a hotel and then getting their MBA or just working somehwere related to business right out of undergraduate hotel school

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Cornell also has an Undergraduate Business Program, through the Applied Economics and Management Department in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

http://business.aem.cornell.edu/

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

also, around 600 people apply for 100 spaces.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

look to sum up this whole thread..

nyu vs cornell = interesting debate

stern vs cornell business = no contest in favor of nyu

.. that does not mean im underestimating cornell because if you put their engineering or hotel management programs agasint nyu it is also a no contest however this time in favor of cornell

... i think what we all need to rememeber is that the op did not start this thread with intentions of an overall school comparison...she wanted specifically business..and i think we can all agree nyu has the edge for that

By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

NYU is ranked at a lowly 35, almost second tier, whereas Cornell is a top 15 school, and Ivy league. I just don't think there is any comparison between them. Cornell overall is far, far more prestigious than NYU is ever likely to be.

For the business school, Stern and Cornell grads make the same amount of starting salary, and are ranked 12 and 16 respectivly...4 spots is hardly any differnce, and the peer assesment values are almost the same for the business schools, so basically stern=johnson....and cornell is far better than NYU for everything else.....it's no contest.

Anybody that argues that NYU is as prestigious as Cornell is kidding themselves....that is a bold faced lie. NYU doesn't compare to any Ivy school....period.

One more point, NYU is HUGEEE...it's bigger than Columbia and Penn in total body count....40,000+!!! Columbia is about 25000+, and Penn is 23000. Cornell=Harvard =Stanford=18000 students total....NYU prints degrees like cheap paper, and there are too many frigging NYU students unemployed in this economy because of the over-production of grads....NYU's only "good point" is that it's in an urban area, but in my opinion it makes it more of a commuter school than anything else.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

40,000?.. first of all the total undergrad enrollment at nyu is 19,506 and cornell isnt far behind at 13,655... second of all rankings are pretty much meaningless... businesses and people are very fimilar with stern.. i never even knew cornell's business school was named johnson untill this conversation... nyu is one of the up and coming schools while cornell is a faltering ivy...and if you are soo adamant about rankings..with the surge in applicants nyu may even crack the top 25 next year while i doubt cornell will improve.. probably decline if anything as the schools ranked behind it are becoming increasingly more selective with their improving recognition.

... and by the way us news tends to be extremely fixated on the whole ivy theme and the mere fact that they would rank a non ivy ahead of an ivy says somethign right there..

By Humbleservant (Humbleservant) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

"with the surge in applicants nyu may even crack the top 25 next year "

What?? What are you smoking?

And yes, NYU has a total body count of 40000 students (grad+ugrad), because that is how many wall-to-wall bodies populate NYU halls.

By Grace226 (Grace226) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I think that in applying for a job later on in life, regardless of what field, a degree from Cornell will shine brighter than a degree from NYU.

By Chris2121 (Chris2121) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

It really is folly to compare any schools against one another that are in the top 50 or so...When you consider that there are over 3,000 colleges/universities in this country alone, the top 50 would constitute 1.6% of them...That's pretty damn elite and exclusive if you ask me. Comparing the name Cornell to the name NYU for instance is useless; each one has its own academic merits and weak points in specific areas. Comparing specific schools, specific departments, location, endowment, etc., would constitute a more valid and accurate assessment of each school, albeit the merit of each criteria is largely in the eye of the beholder.

By Everet (Everet) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Ares15

I know Cornell students, they're followers not leaders. I hope you end up working for an NYU graduate. -Ares15

I feel sorry for the people who are going to Yale. With your kind of attitude...I mean the arrogance that you exhibit oozes thickly through your post. You make it seem like being a "follower" is a bad thing. Sheesh the pompousity you show. I mean ALL the people can't be leaders. If all the people are leaders then who will they lead? And you have the audacity to assume that yale students are more likely to be leaders than cornell students. Ares15 I hope you are unemployed after you graduate from yale because I don't want any employer to deal with your arrogant character.

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

We shall see. =]

By Everet (Everet) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

as the ILLUSTRIOUS and POMPOUS president said, "Bring it On."

By Pallavi (Pallavi) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

I READ ALL THE POSTS ABOVE AND ITS QUITE AN INTERESTING DEBATE . COULD SOMEONE KINDLY ENLIGHTEN ME ON HOWS CORNELL FOR A MASTERS IN LAW ? (LLM)AND SHOULD I GO FOR CORNELL /NYU /WARWICK(UK)FOR LLM ?
HELPPP....

By Flowagal13 (Flowagal13) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Don't you people have anything to do with your time? Do you have any friends who don't live in your computer?

By Adriennenyu218 (Adriennenyu218) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

ok guys...

quite an interesting debate. but, I am a sternie, so I think that my recommendations may count a little more heavily. The kid asked about the BUSINESS program. On that note, NYU is WAAAYYY better. Our faculty are extremely knowledgeable professionals at the top of their respective fields working at the top companies(most of them concurrently with being a professor)and that fact should count very heavily. The atmosphere of the business field can change rapidly in little time and since our professors are still out there, they offer real world lessons in real time, tailoring our curriculum to the changing times. Cornell's profs probably don't offer that. This is also the reason why Stern's location matters so much in this debate. so u guys who said that the location is what attracts people - you're right. The combo of outstanding professors at the top of their field at the top companies in the world offering their knowledge in the capital of the financial/business world is what attracts people to stern and what makes stern stand out, especially against Cornell's business program. Also, the fact that Stern is an entire business SCHOOL and Cornell's is a program offered also kinda pushes stern ahead more.

To humble servant who said:
"NYU has a total body count of 40000 students (grad+ugrad), because that is how many wall-to-wall bodies populate NYU halls."

It is NOT wall to wall bodies. First of all, the undergrad and grad students in stern have DIFFERENT buildings and hardly ever does one have class in the other's building. But what's great is that depending on your major, sometimes there are classes offered to ugrad and mba students, and mba students offer more real world and real time learning.

When it comes business, stern is HANDS-DOWN better. But socially, As a whole, NYU students are not AS social with each other as other colleges, but that is not to say that we aren't social at all. We just generally don't socialize much on campus because we have other options that colleges in rinky dink towns don't have - NYUers go out all the time, all over the city. I think that this way is better because I know many people who went to big party schools in the middle of nowhere who say that you get bored with those schools quick fast and in a hurry because that is ALL you can do there.

As for me, NYU was always my top choice and I am happy with my choice. I only applied to NYU (early decision acceptance), but I had Cornell people calling me all the time practically begging me to apply there. Had I applied, it would have been to the Hotel School, and NOT the business program, because it honestly wouldn't have compared in my eyes.

Also, don't knock our GSP students b/c honestly they (mostly) work just as hard as everyone else. They may have had lower SAT scores, but generally everything else about their apps had to mirror the reg. accepted students - GPA, recommendations, etc. NYU sees that they have the potential to succeed and basically all GSP does it give them smaller classes. It is a 2 year program and after completing their associates (which is what the GSP program offers) they in-school transfer to the school of their choice - BUT their acceptance is NOT guaranteed, and depends upon whether they did well in GSP - this is nearly the exact procedure that regular transfers from other schools follow at EVERY university, minus the associates part.

NYU is a great school and Stern is an excellent business school and those are the facts. I am NOT bashing Cornell, but it just doesn't compare on the Business end. As a whole though, it is basically personal preference.

By Laura (Laura) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Okay. I'm currently a student at NYU... started out in Tisch drama, HATED it, and got accepted to Stern as a transfer. Long story... I don't really feel like getting into it, but basically I'd rather get a "real" degree and then study acting at a private studio in the city after I graduate.

So I got myself accepted to Stern, based on SATs/high school grades/college transcript for the academic classes I've taken so far (macro econ, micro econ, Asian history, writing, and environmental chem - I had a 4.0). Awesome, right? BUT... I also got accepted to Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations.

I love the city, I really do, but I've always wanted the real college experience. The football games, the frats, the school spirit, the quad, etc. So why did I pick NYU? When I wanted to go for theatre, I wanted a school that would give me a good education AND good theatrical training - and I thought that NYU won that competition hands down (little did I know that the academic classes you take here as a drama major are watered down and grade-inflated, designed to push through the students who are talented but not very smart).

I spent my whole first semester here being miserable b/c NYU is so bureaucratic and impersonal. They're good about some things, like the suicides and accidental deaths from the beginning of the year. I have to say they were phenomenal in dealing with those - every concession was made and everyone was checked upon after the deaths. But for regular issues, NYU is ridiculously slow, especially if there isn't a lawsuit involved. A few weeks ago, one of the dorms was having construction done. There was jackhammering and other intolerable amounts of noise all day every day - the students complained to no avail. Then some kind of fumes began permeating all the rooms, and again the students complained - to no avail. It wasn't until a student's mother called the EPA, who then threatened NYU, that anything was done. Another incident involved thousands of students' social security numbers and other personal information being posted on a website. NYU did nothing for weeks, until students found out and began threatening to sue for millions. NYU cleaned that up pretty quickly once it involved money!

Regardless, I'm sure those are problems that every college probably has to deal with. This semester I've been a lot happier, mostly because I've joined a sorority which has provided some semblance of community that NYU is otherwise sorely lacking. I have to say, my sorority here is amazing - the girls are actually caring and smart, not shallow idiots who backstab each other at every turn. Our average GPA is a 3.5 (some of the other sororities even boast 3.6 and 3.75 average GPAs), which I think says a lot for how Greek life at NYU is, compared to the primarily social function of sororities and fraternities at other schools. It'd be hard to give up those girls, especially to go to a school like Cornell where I'm not nearly as impressed with the Greek life. Still, at a campus-oriented school, I wouldn't have to join a sorority in order to find a community.

At the same time, I also need to take into consideration prices. ILR is a state-funded school, so total cost for me would only be about $27 thou per year. At NYU, Stern is a staggering $43 thou per year (and increasing steadily... thanks President Sexton). Both gave me similar scholarships, so that puts the difference at about $16 thou per year. Multiply that by 3 years (I already finished freshman year), and you get $48 thou! That's a lot... although in the long run, if one is going to give me a much better education, it could be worth it.

You also have to consider that next year I'll be living 30 mins away from campus in Chinatown, kind of a seedy location (FYI, NYU ships the sophomores off to random places like midtown, Chinatown, and the financial district... only freshman get to live in the nice Washington Square dorms that they show you on the tours). I'm living in a pretty cramped suite for 8, in a double room that doesn't have walls that extend all the way up to the ceiling. Basically, it's going to be pretty noisy, and very difficult to get work done or sleep. That's costing me $10 thou per year. Meanwhile at Cornell, I could get a single, right on campus, for $6500. Interesting...

I realize that ILR and Stern are a bit different - ILR isn't strictly business. However, both offer a lot of options in the managerial sector, which is what I'm considering. ILR is also supposed to be regarded as excellent when it comes to law school apps, if I decide I want to do that. The advice I've gotten from an ILR student that I've e-mailed is that if I want my MBA, I'm better off at Stern; if I want to go to law school, I'm better off at Cornell.

Anyone else have any advice to add to that? Deadline to reply to Cornell is May 1st, and I am just so stuck right now. ANYTHING you can tell me would be much appreciated, although I'd rather not hear the biased catfights about one being better than the other... facts would be better. Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page