Amherst or Emory???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Amherst or Emory???
By Flashbackfl (Flashbackfl) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

Comments??? If you had to choose, and the financial aid was about the same, where would you choose and why?

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 02:22 am: Edit

Id choose Emory. I like the campus, the weather, the atmosphere, and the academics are just as good as Amherst. I just feel happier imagining my self on a green lawn instead of in the ice.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:14 am: Edit

These are two entirely different campuses with different atmospheres (academically, athletically) -- Visit both again and decide -- Ask yourself "Can I spend four years with these kids?" and then decide based on what you want. Both schools have their drawbacks and their assets so again it's a personal decision.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:18 am: Edit

ANother thing to consider: where do you want to live after college? One degree may have more impact/influence over the other (Emory south of DC; Amherst north of DC) so that could figure into your decision as well. Same with grad school considerations, depending on what you want to study. Do you have other choices?

By Giants (Giants) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

I go to Emory, and I'd say you could go either way. Amherst's total class size is about 1/3 of Emory's, but Emory's size certainly doesn't seem overwhelming. Like other people said...I think the quality of education that you'd get at the two places is basically equivalent. Collegeparent's and Jlg3d3's suggestions sound good to me, and you really can't go wrong either way.

By Futajalon (Futajalon) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:12 am: Edit

How 'bout Emory and Yale?

By Eadad (Eadad) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

Aside from the weather (because anyone can adjust for four years), what are you really looking for in your undergraduate education?

Amherst is small so you will have small classes, no TAs, the ability to develop close relationships with profs from day one, and if you choose, the ability to do research as an undergrad as early as freshman or sophmore year.

The town has almost 30,000 college students so going to Amherst gives you the best of both worlds academically and socially.

There is no Greek scene on campus and it is an intellectual and ecclectic place. An Amherst education is on a par with schools like Yale. Both Amherst and Williams have incrediblly strong alumni networks that retain close ties. Many people consider admission to Amherst as difficult and prestigious as to HYP.

Emory is a research university with a strong graduate and professional program. There will be larger classes,especially in intro classes of English, Bio, Chem, History, Econ, and there will be some TAs. Research as an undergrad will not be as easy as at Amherst.

The student body is more homogenous and desribed by many as looking like a J Crew advertisement. It is far more preppy and social(girls care about fashion, purses they carry, make-up etc)and khakis are considered an essential element of your wardrobe.

While a strong school academically, Emory is not the undergraduate intellectual community that Amherst is. This is because of the size of the school and classes. There is an intellectual circle (as in most schools) but it is not the dominant scene at Emory. There is far more social segmentation and groups that form and perhaps the social pressure that goes with it.

You know what you are like and what you want. Visit them both again, attend classes, spend the night in a dorm,start reading the student newspapers online to see what is really going on...not the admissions dept pr...both are great schools but are very different and will offer very different experiences. See what school feels most like "home" when you are there.

Congratulations, there are a lot of people who would love to have the problem thay you have.

Good luck and keep us posted.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

Futajon, it's time to hum Boola Boola. Definitely Yale --

By Iska (Iska) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

I got Emory Scholars, but everyone is telling me to pay and go to Yale. Tough call.

By Wisc_Away (Wisc_Away) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

If it is a full Emory Scholars award that is a tough decision. A friend of my sister has a similar dilemma with Yale and The Morehead at UNC. The Morehead offers 4 summer experiences that are incredible and being a Morehead apparently has tremendous cachet for grad school and employment.

She says that there are several Morehead winners trying to decide between The Morehead and Yale or Harvard and that most are leaning to The Morehead because of the travel and the fact that is a total free ride. Tuition, books, laptop, living stipend and 4 summer experiences throughout the world. The full cost of her UNC education and travel is covered. That is hard to pass up just as a full Emory Scholars would be.

When there for her interviews she found that most of the students especially those from out of state had turned down elite schools like Yale, Princeton, Harvard to take the The Morehead and none would change their decisions if they had it to do over again.

Why not talk to some current or former Emory Scholars and see if they had similar dilemmas and what they think now.

I'd be interested to hear your decision.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

i'd choose emory.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 04:11 am: Edit

Amherst.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 06:06 am: Edit

E or A - go to A.

E or Y - go to Y even if you have to pay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page