Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota
By Heyheyhoho (Heyheyhoho) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Hey, I just got in, and will likely attend. I still have to wait back to hear from a few other liberal arts colleges. I am wondering what you know about the school...

I want to know everything/anything, particularly about the students and social scene. Does anyone know about the intensity of the academics? the party scene? are athletics huge on campus? overwhelmingly so? is there a big activist scene? how liberal is the student body? does the school feel diverse?

I know these are extremely broad and general questions, but any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Excellent school, really top notch academics. I have friends who graduated from Carleton and another friend who taught there. They all rave about their experiences (these are all people who went to Harvard, Princeton, etc. for their grad programs).

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Just a word of caution:
My s. absolutely LOVED this school when he visited. I shared with others, that it was one of his top choices. The reaction I received was that most students who went there were wealthy, and that some definitely have an "attitude". (This came from 2 separate sources who once lived in Minn.). He did not experience this at all, but he also visited in summer. We ignored them. He applied, and was accpeted, but his financial aid package was virtually nothing, especially when compared with other schools. If most students receive such very small packages, it makes sense that they are heavily populated by those who can afford the high tuition.

By Procrastinating (Procrastinating) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

I'm a poor kid at Carleton...yes, most people here are upper middle class, but not all.

Academics are intense & we complain about all the work, but truthfully most of us thrive on the stress. You must think that studying is fun in order to survive at Carleton. The profs are amazing, and are always available & willing to offer assistance.

Party scene---whatever level of partying you want to do, you are sure to be able to find like-minded people at carleton. Some party Wednesday-Saturday nights, while others don't party at all. My friends & I usually try to balance a weekend of studying and extracurriculars with going to at least one party each week.

About 1/3 of students are in varsity athletics, but most of the sports don't have huge followings. Over 80% are in intramural sports, and these are huge on campus---especially ultimate frisbee & broomball. Participating in an IM sport is a great way to socialize & relieve stress.

I hope this answers some of your questions, Heyheyhoho

By Dagnytaggart (Dagnytaggart) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

How are the dorms there? I heard the food kinda sucks.

By Dagnytaggart (Dagnytaggart) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

How are the dorms there? I heard the food kinda sucks.

By Brownalum (Brownalum) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Academically Carleton is amazing.

By Procrastinating (Procrastinating) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

***How are the dorms there? I heard the food kinda sucks. ***

There really isn't a typical dorm at Carleton---some are really, really nice, while others are just average. In the past few years they've done some great renovations to some of the older dorms. The nice thing about the dorms is that no floors or buildings are designated specifically for freshmen, so there is always a good mix of students from each cohort. A few years ago, Carleton built some great townhouses that are now a popular residence option for upperclass students. Many students also choose to live in college-owned off-campus houses, which are usually pretty comfortable.

As for the food, the best thing about it is that there is variety. I often rely on the extensive salad bar & cereal bar if I don't like any of the entrees being offered. Northfield also has a yummy sandwich place (Hogan Brothers) for those times you need to escape the dining halls.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page