Which one would you choose "Purdue or IIT"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Which one would you choose "Purdue or IIT"?
By Inancbalci (Inancbalci) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

I'm an international student and I got acceptence from purdue, illinois institute of tech and some other schools. My top schools are IIT, purdue, Utexas at Austin, UW at seattle and Virginia tech.
For electrical engineering, which one would you choose?
Which one is the best?
Thanx...

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit

At the undergraduate level, there really is no "best" from your list because all are very good. Schools tend to teach the same things at the undergraduate level. Looking at your list, I would say you need to consider some other factors of importance, such as: Is there one you really want to go to over others? Do you want big city (like IIT) or small college town (Purdue)? Do you want small school where profs all know you (IIT) or big school (all the others you list)? Which one is best financially (include travel costs) after subtracting scholarships and grants? Does weather matter (long cold winters at IIT and Purdue; constant rain in Seattle; warm most of time in Austin; and mild, fairly short winter at VTech and otherwise pleasant)?

I can tell you Austin is a very pretty and nice city (hardly recognize it as Texas). Chicago is my favorite city and home town and I think highly of IIT except that it has an ugly campus and is not in the best area in town (although easy to get elswhere). Lafayette/Purdue is down home Indiana and can be somewhat of a shock to an international. I have been to Seattle about 10 times, different times of the year, and it always rained, but you would be close to Microsoft. I have never actually seen VTech but Virginia as a whole is a beautiful state.

By Inancbalci (Inancbalci) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

According to its academic success and reputation, which one is the best for electrical engineering. l am accapted to all ol them, but i cant make the decision between iit and purdue. which one in terms of reputation?

By Idonotcare (Idonotcare) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

did you get the cameras scholarship at iit? if so, go with iit!

By Inancbalci (Inancbalci) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

yes I got scholarship from iit, but the cost doesn't matter for me. The reputatition of the school is the most important factor for me. please tell me which one has a better reputation in USA in electrical engineering.
Thanx

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:31 am: Edit

actually idonotcare is referring to Camras esp. because its a special program,
and all camras scholars get really good research oppurtunities and job placement, and I think if u main priority is academics then u should go to Illinois IT.
although the social scene may seem bad there are loads of intl students so it is bound to be a good experience

By Elizabeth (Elizabeth) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

EE undergraduate rankings show Purdue at #8, University of Texas at Austin at #11, and Virginia Tech at #15. The others are not ranked in the top 25.

If I had the choice between Purdue and IIT, I would choose Purdue. If I had the choice of all of them, I would probably choose Texas because I live in Texas and the weather is better. Also Austin is a really nice town.

By Inancbalci (Inancbalci) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

but according to "Fiske Guide", IIT's overlap is MIT.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page