UCLA or UCSD for econ/ business

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: UCLA or UCSD for econ/ business
By J2thej16 (J2thej16) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

I can't decide between the two... I know UCLA has a biz/ econ major and UCSD has a managerial science and econ major. But here is the deal...
I can do sports at UCSD (track and field) and can't at UCLA. I think it would be so fun to be on a team. Here is my question, do the undergraduate schools really matter as far as career? I felt like I fit in at UCSD really well but am concerned about they program. i know UCLA has a strong name, but my dad and gradnpa (success businessmen) told me it doesn't matter what school, it matters how well you perform your job. Any advice?

P.S... i want to go to graduate school at UCLA

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

Go to the school where you feel most comfortable. That is very important. I don't see much difference between UCLA and UCSD for the subjects you are interested in - and UCSD is launching a new MBA program. I suspect the benefits of that program are going to filter down to undergraduates along the way.

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

UCLA only offers undergraduate economics, not business.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

b/c there's not a huge difference between the 2 schools, go with ucsd if you feel you'd fit in better, enjoy more and play sports at, if that's what you want. you only go to college once. remember that.

when talking about those 2 schools, they're so close from an academic standpoint for undergrad that it's about what you DO when you get there that really matters.

if you go to the one you'd be happier at & still do well at, it'd be more benifical for you in teh long run.
hope that helped!

By Pimpmike (Pimpmike) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

If you want undergrad business, try berkeley. UCSD has economics and management science which is econ but more for firms than general aka less macro econ.

By J2thej16 (J2thej16) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Thanks, that really helped. I agree about the experience and going to college once. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go to UCSD for undergrad work. thanks again

By Racer0317 (Racer0317) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

UCLA does not have a business major. Think about going to UCSD for ungradu business and UCLA for grad school. UCLA has a hella good Business school.

By J2thej16 (J2thej16) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

UCSD doesn't have a undergrad business school. They have econ and managerial science. UCLA has a bizEcon class and an accounting minor.

By Adrockmikd (Adrockmikd) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

UCLA does offer bus/econ and it's very strong and competitive. If you want to do track and field at UCLA you can always try to walk on. If you're very good or if you improve I'm sure you could play.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page