UPS, Willamette, Pitzer, or American U ???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: UPS, Willamette, Pitzer, or American U ???
By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I am going to college next year and these are the schools I got into. I want to major in Poly Sci and/or history. Weather is not important, but law school acceptance rate is. I got 23,000 to go to UPS (including scholarships, grants, and loans) and I havent gotten my packages from the other schools yet. Please help me pick

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

?

By Wutdeh (Wutdeh) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:30 am: Edit

Willamette

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

First, congratulations!

I'd also suggest Willamette. Great opportunities for hands-on internships right across the street, small school with excellent academics, good law school placement rate (and I believe they accept a high percentage of grads right into their own law school).

AFter that, my choice would probably be Pitzer because of the opportunity to take classes at Claremont McKenna.

However, if money is an issue, UPS is a fine school as well.

Good luck - let us know what you decide.

By Mike (Mike) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:31 pm: Edit

willamette is great for poly sci majors but law grads have had problems with the oregon bar o late W was #1 for passing for decades now is #3 out of three in Or.
mike has also been admitted to ups one of his top two picks in for college

mike's dad

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Thanks Carolyn and Mikes Dad. If I get a comparable package from Willamette I will give it a good look. Are there any comparable differences between UPS and Willamette? Is Willamette harder to get into? Where else is Mike looking to go? I am visiting UPS on their admitted student day in two weeks. I hope I like it, considering the cash they gave.

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Also...is Lewis and Clark harder to get into than UPS and Willamette???? Because it was originally my first choice and I didn't get in. I have a 3.4(bad grades freshman year) 1450 and extracurriculars out the wazoo.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

One big difference is that Willamette has better and more housing. It can be very hard getting a dorm room at UPS after freshman year. Not a problem, however, if you'd prefer to live off campus anyhow.

I also think Willamette is in a slightly nicer location than Tacoma.

Otherwise, they are probably comparable in terms of academic quality.

Frankly, they're all pretty comparable in terms of admissions difficulty. Lewis & Clark, however, does tend to put more emphasis on GPA than standardized test scores so that might have been what happened there.

Good luck - all of the schools on your list are good schools so choose one that "feels" most comfortable to you, both academically and financially.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Thought you might also find this interesting - percent of graduates going on to law school (I believe this is all graduates, not just the percentage who go on immediately after graduation).

UPS 12%
Willamette 12%
Pitzer 18%
American - no figures available

Source: US NEws & World Reports Ultimate College Directory 2004

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Is anyone on cc planning on going to one of these schools next year?

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

bump

By Barrett (Barrett) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

Jumpinj,

Don't sweat the rejection from Lewis and Clark -- I think you did great work in selecting which schools to apply to, and you now have some excellent options to choose from.

If the choice were put to me (and me only) -- and since others haven't done a substantial job of defending this particular school -- I have to admit that I would choose Pitzer College above the rest, and here's why:

In the first instance, I would make the choice without reference to my prospects after college (on the assumption that deciding your undergraduate place of education based what you think you will be interested in doing four years from now is, at best, a species of divination). Not to say that you can't have a running mental image of what you'd like to do once you finish college, but I don't think your legal prospects will be helped or diminished by attending any of the excellent schools which you are now contemplating. Statistics and lists? Throw 'em out, I say. So I now I ask: which of these schools would I personally find the most 'interesting' to attend as an undergraduate (again without reference to the afterlife of professional aspirations)?

So what is so interesting about Pitzer (to me anyway)? Simply put: location, location, location. Again, I don't know your relationship to 'the land', but this boils down to two aspects, I think: For one, Pitzer, in southern California, is a bit of an outlier by any measure, and is therefore the most interesting to me. A British professor once aptly summed this up when he remarked to me -- in reference to a trip to the east Los Angeles area (Caltech, incidentally) that he had made to deliver a public lecture -- how he had marvelled at the fact that such institutions even *existed* in such an area (the implication being that the climate of southern California is worlds away from the rainy pall in England in the wintertime, but you get the picture). Secondly with respect to location, I think you must consider the people with whom who would be surrounded. The prolific number -- and different kinds -- of schools in Claremont would make for a mighty intellectually stimulating experience, in my mind. (Also: Have you had the chance to visit Claremont? If so, what did you think?)

Of the four, Pitzer just seems the more *inspired* choice (but, again, that's just me).

Anyone willing to be a devil's advocate for American University? Whatever you decide, jumpinj, best wishes!

By Mrbungle (Mrbungle) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Jumpinj,
In response to your question about anyone on CC going to one of these schools next year-
I am going to Willamette next year. I don't really have any outstanding reasons I chose Willamette over the other schools I was looking at, but it seems like a high-quality school and I basically developed an attachment to it--the National Merit Scholarship I'm getting certainly helps. Hopefully I'm making a good choice.
In case it matters my GPA is 3.6 and my SAT is 790 verbal, 720 math.

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

I didnt really know anything about pitzer when i applied...i didnt have a chance at claremont so Pitzer sounded pretty cool...but yeah the area its in is quite a plus now that i think about it. Does anyone know if its easy to transfer within the claremont schools?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

All of the Claremont Schools take very very few transfers so I wouldn't go to Pitzer with the idea of transfering. You get to take classes at the other schools any how and Pitzer is the most open about the number of classes you can take at the other schools.

Make sure you feel comfortable with the type of students at Pitzer. They tend to be very, very liberal.

By Mike (Mike) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I applied at Lawrence, Gustavus, UPS U of the Pacific U of Oregon and Whitman I wanted a physical science major or would have applied at Lewis and Clark Willamette was to close to home good local rep for poly sci and history in at all I applied for except Whitman not expected unti about 4/1 Tacoma like Salem is not a great town but looks great around UPS. All the
LACs i asplied to have science reps with teachers respect. If I had to pick today I would pick UPS

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Thanks for everyones help...the decision will still be rather hard...I'm really glad that i applied to the schools i did...and im sure i'll do fine at any of them...speaking of which...does anyone know anything about American U?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Of the schools on your list, my last choice would be American. Its D.C. location doesn't make up for weak academics. Some compare American's atmosphere to high school.

By Jumpinj (Jumpinj) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

got my official letter from willamette today after months of hints of getting in. I believe they call them likelys on cc....anyways i got a merit scholarship of 10,000 and i get the rest of my financial aid package later. My family cant afford much so im hoping they at least match ups. Anyways I think its down to those two right now. I guess its not too bad to have to pick between two great schools, but gosh....

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Congratulations Jumpinj! Looks like you're going to have some hard choices to make. You might consider visiting each of your top choices again just to see which feels right now that you know you're in. And, a word of advice: most of these schools may be willing to negotiate on financial aid if you indicate that they are your "first choice" and would definitely attend if you could but that you've received better offers elsewhere. Handle it with a careful approach, but it never hurts to ask.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page