UCD, UCSB, or UCI?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: UCD, UCSB, or UCI?
By Dbhmr (Dbhmr) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I got accepted into these schools (they're probably my top 3...the other being Chico State and I'm waiting for a Stanford rejection : ), which one should I go to?

Facts about me:
-Gay
-English major (want to minor or double major with Business--or whatever major is closest to that because Davis, for example, doesn't have a business major but things close to it)
-Pretty serious student...not huge on the party scene but I definitely like to have fun
-Not incredibly outgoing but friendly
-Weather not really an issue
-GPA is 4.2 something (I don't know if that's relevant)

If you need more let me know, and thanks! (This is a little alteration from my last post...)

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

You've already heard my thoughts on UCD - I cannot imagine a more positive and accepting environment overall, but I forgot to mention that there is a theme dorm called Rainbow House that might be worth checking out.

I just don't have a sense of UCSB and UCI to give a good opinion about what is important to you.

UCD has a well-regarded English dept, and although it doesn't have an undergrad business school, Managerial Economics is one of the most popular majors on campus. The Grad School of Management, although a young school, has been soaring in the rankings. Having that on campus has also opened up opportunities for undergrads that are interested in business. One can easily take all courses at UCD that one would need as prerequisites to get accepted at a top MBA school.

By Alicantekid (Alicantekid) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Here's my thoughts on UCI...

For an English major, UCI is a great place to go, especially if you're interested in Creative Writing. Although you wouldn't be part of the program, the MFA in Creative Writing at UCI is consistently ranked among the top two or three in the nation. This will affect you as an English major because you will have exposure to many of the same faculty that teach in the MFA program. Also, I know that UCI is the top school in the nation for Literary Criticism.

There is no business major for undergraduates at Irvine. Most people who are interested in business do a major in economics. There is a pretty good Graduate School of Management that gives out MBAs, and through the GSM you can minor in Management, Accounting, or both. There is also a 3-2 program that will allow you to complete both a Bachelor's Degree and an MBA in five years.

For the other things you mentioned, Irvine might be a good place for you. Irvine is not a big Greek campus, so your status as a serious student would not be jeopardized, although there is always something fun to do as long as you make a little effort to find it. As for being gay, I know that there is a LGBT center on campus, and there is an upperclassman house called the "Kaleidosope House" which houses students interested in both the arts and issues facing gays. The campus is pretty friendly, and I think you should check it out for yourself if you can to see if you'll fit in there.

By Dbhmr (Dbhmr) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

Any other thoughts?

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

UCSB is more of a "liberal art" school than the other UCs, so I would think UCSB has a stronger English Program, and people there are more open-minded than UC Davis. Also SB has business major, which Davis lacks. HOwever since you don't like party scene, which is huge at SB, i don't know.. hope this helps.

By Mrpancake_2000 (Mrpancake_2000) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Dbhmr, don't kid yourself...you loooooooove the party scene! Heheheh!

By Dbhmr (Dbhmr) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Hah, thank you...don't kid YOURSELF, you like the warm weather...

By Mrpancake_2000 (Mrpancake_2000) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Chuckle...I vote you go to UCSB! Well, I really vote you go to Cornell, but as Ramage would say, impossible! You know its sad when you run into eachother on message boards. Sigh. I am avoiding reading...

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

uh....since when does UCSB have a business major??

By Ucsbheart (Ucsbheart) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

UCSB has always had a business major, but it is mostly business econ, accounting, finance. Not much advertising, marketing, etc.

I think you would like SB (probably the most liberal of the 3 you mention), but it really it depends on the atmospher you are looking for. All three are good schools academically, but UCI is city life, UCD is country life (although Sac. is clos) and SB is small town life (although LA is only 1 1/2 away). What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Have you visited the campuses?

By Dbhmr (Dbhmr) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

I have briefly seen Davis, but that's the only one (although I most definitely will be visiting all three before May). I'd prefer a more "college town" type of thing, which I've heard all three provide, in some way or another...do you agree/have any additional comments?

By Ucsbheart (Ucsbheart) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Well UCI is definitely not in a college town, so if that is what you want, eliminate UCI. Davis and SB both provide that college town thing. Since they are both good schools, now it just comes down to where you are more comfortable.

Here is the site for UCSBs center for sexual and gender diversity. http://www.sa.ucsb.edu/sgd/index.asp

By Dbhmr (Dbhmr) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

OK, thanks for your help (it was always pretty much down to UCD or UCSB so this just sort of cements that).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page