UCLA, USC, or University of Oregon?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: UCLA, USC, or University of Oregon?
By Uncertainone (Uncertainone) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Title says it all . . . journalism major and from san diego. Any opinions on UCLA, USC, or University of Oregon?!?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Not just because I go to USC, but USC does have a very renowned journalism/communications school, and gets large endowments to help.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

Are you instate or out of state at Oregon?

By Uncerainone1 (Uncerainone1) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I live in California

By Dswmo456 (Dswmo456) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

USC is great for journalism. UCLA doesn't have a school of communications. I think that means no journalism program. Not sure about Oregon.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

So is Oregon...

Oregon is more laid-back, more casual. Eugene is a college town with about 120,000 people. it is similar to Midwestern college towns like Madison, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, etc...

U of O sits right at the center and everything is easily accessable by foot, although there are tons of bike riders. Usually, people enjoy the distractions that Eugene offers (natural and man-made).

As for the social scene, there are many options. There is a greek system but it is not all-encompassing or overly influencial. The student body tends to the liberal, although there is a nice mix of viwepoints. Off-campus, there are many restaurants, bookstores, bike shops, pizza joints, bars, etc... Also, many students go to the Oregon Coast or to Bend to relax and Portland is about an 1.5 hours from Eugene. Oregon State is about 45 minutes away. The cost of living in Eugene is low so $$$ go far.

Just my 2 cents.
Rob.

By Adrockmikd (Adrockmikd) on Friday, March 26, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

I got into all three schools and I would say UCLA. You would probably be in the communications major which is competitive and strong. If you want to write for a newspaper, the Daily Bruin is the 3rd largest newspaper in Los Angeles after the Daily News and the L.A. Times. You would probably get the greatest exposure at UCLA. The USC people don't know what they're talking about.

By Uncertainone (Uncertainone) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

so Adrockmikd are you going to UCLA?

By Pnwdad (Pnwdad) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Disclaimer: I work at the UO, but not in JCOMM.

The UO has an excellent journalism school. For details see http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/ & especially
http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/prospective/index.html

Note that new/transfer students are admitted as pre-majors and must apply for full major status after completing a series of core courses.

As a CA resident, you might get a better financial aid package at UCLA. For obvious reasons non-resident tuition isn't cheap at the UO or any other public university. However, look at the total cost because it might be cheaper to live in Eugene. Also, I've heard that people can often get more classes & thus earn their degrees faster at the UO than at the UC schools, which can be a *huge* cost savings.

Finally, as mentioned above, Eugene is a great place to live & the campus is beautiful.

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page