UC to UC Transfer worth it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: UC to UC Transfer worth it?
By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Hey all. I was just wondering if UC-> UC transfer is something that is even possible. I know that UC's give transfer priority to community college students, but what about major-related transfers?

Meaning I complete the pre-requisite required classes/credits for a major that isn't at my UC and I decide to transfer to another one. Does this ever work out? Thanks for any tips.

PS: Does the counselling center even help you out on this or are they only focused at the UC at which you attend?

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:05 am: Edit

which UC are you at right now, and what major and UC are you planning to transfer to? It's possible to transfer from UC to UC, i'm in the process of doing that.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:30 am: Edit

Hey thanks for replying. I just got accepted to UCSB and am pending for a few others. I want to transfer into Haas or Anderson business (at UCB and UCLA).

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

congrats! did you get the UCSB acceptance in the mail or online?

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

i got it in the mail. i wasn't even going to check online, haha. but can any1 please answer my other question? UC->UC transfer??

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

you should try talking to the councellor at the UC you're trying to transfer to. I'm confused. Are you a fresmen now or are you a junior transfer?

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Also, if you want to make sure the lower division classes you take are equivalent to the ones at the UC you want to go to.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

im going to be an entering freshman if i do end up going there. from what i've heard the UC's give priority to community college transfers and they might deem uc-uc transfers people who were angry at not initially getting in.

and yeah, i've read about the IGETC certified (required courses, etc.) but im not sure if counselors at a UC would help me with that.

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I think IGETC is for community college only. If you want to transfer you should finish the GE requirement (at the UC you're attending because then you'll be exampted from it at the UC you wanna go). Priority is given to the community transfer, but UC->UC is very possible. Talk to both the councellor at the UC you'll be attending, and the one at the UC you want to transfer to. Also check out both general catelog for requirement.

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

oh okay, sounds good derbisblue. thanks for all of your guidance. by the way, what uc are u at, what major/year are you in and what is your transfer goal? just curious.

i talked to a counselor at ucsb and they told me i could talk to them before i go there about anything so i'll go ahead and do that.

By Derbisblue (Derbisblue) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I'm currently at UC Davis (2nd yr Sociology) trying to transfer to UCSB for fall 2004. I'm waiting for the decision to come out sometimes this month.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page