West VA U. or Virginia Tech?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: April 2004 Archive: West VA U. or Virginia Tech?
By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Ok, obviously Virginia Tech is the more known school compared to WVU. Both have excellent athletic programs (football). I'm waiting on VT's letter to come but I think I stand a good chance. I got honors stuff in the mail so ... Let's compare these two schools. I'm goin for Chemical engineering, but who knows if that major will stick. VT is nationally ranked, but as I look at the rankings, I really don't care whose higher ranked. WVU is 3 hours from my home in OH; VT is 6. Both are in similar campus styles (mountainous small town).

Does anyone know how much student tickets cost to VT for football for example? I know WVUs games are free (you pay a small fee before you enroll) and then you just got pick up ur tickets. Cost for games can influence my decision (blah) because I'm a huge supporter of sports teams. (but like you all care lol)

I haven't been down to VT yet. I plan to visit in April. What are the differences between the campuses? Overall, which campus seems more friendly, nicer?

this is a big decision. Both are great schools. I just can't find any major difference between them. I'm hoping someone can fill me in on what I may be overlooking. Thanks

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:08 am: Edit

bump

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

Virginia Tech will offer you great job opportunitues after graduation and and overall better education. A couple of my friends go there and tell me the social life is great.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

WVU also offers great job opportunities to engineers upon graduation. The social life is good (too good) too. The WVU campus is more spread out, and the winters can be hard. You are in a great position--two great engineering schools want you. VT probably has the edge reputation-wise, but you can't go wrong.

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

We have a neighbor who's in at VT, he went Early Decision, is very excited about going! I think there's AMTRAK service from here in NE Ohio to the school. He's aiming for an area of engineering that's unfamiliar to me, something like oceanographic engineering? I wonder if Virginia Tech offers more different areas of engineering to choose from, and maybe a more national alumni network that could help in internships/coops, and somewhere down life's road, jobs. It would be helpful to have connections outside of WV/OH, since we're not exactly a growing region.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Well .. parents had the talk with me today about which school to pick. They said that unless I get a full ride (which wont happen), I gotta go to WVU. Not to knock them at all they're an awesome school all around and i love the campus. But i just feel like i got punched in the stomach. They said I can't go there cuz its simply too far from here (which i think is a whole crock of cranberries ugh!). But then, its nice to be within a day's drive of home, where mom and dad can come visit for a bit and drive home. VT would be more expensive as far as hotels go.

As I think, while VT has the better reputation in the engineering industry (im majoring in chemical engr), WVU is "up-and-coming." I don't think going to WVU will inhibit my job potential as move on. Plus, you can't beat the honors program! :) Thanks for the posts tho.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 08:56 am: Edit

WVU is more than up-and-coming in the engineering profession. They are both great engineering schools. Neither school is all that far from Ohio-sympathize with being told what you have to do. Hope you get the full ride at VT and have a choice. Good luck!

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Ok, time to revive this post. Now my parents are letting me consider VT, since I got in! (i love online decisions)

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

My husband is a WVU grad. He got his degree in mechanical engineering. His Sister and Brother in Law got engineering degrees from VT. He's the only one working as an engineer, they both changed careers within 5 years of graduating. There is nothing like a mountaineer football game. It's THE only big name University in the whole state and everyone supports it. Virginia has UVA, VT, William and Mary,JMU, etc... WVU also has a very good alumni network and started one of the first Parents networks as well. As someone who has a student 16 hours from home, I can tell you first hand how nice it would be to be within a days drive. Both are great schools for engineering - I don't think you can go wrong. Well, I think WVU has a real edge over VT sports-wise. Do you really want to root for the Hokies?

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I live in Morgantown, and both of my parents work at WVU.

First of all, the sports here are crazy! Football and basketball are very popular and draw in large crowds every game. Women's soccer is top 10, and other sports are up and coming. Students love WVUs atmosphere. It is definitely a place for a good time...and a good education. The engineering department is well respected, and if you do decide to change your major, other deparments are good as well.

I saw VT when I was younger, and I don't recall being amazed by it. WVU's campus is pretty, although very spread out. The weather here is very seasonal, ie, snowy during winter and hot hot hot during the summer, but I imagine it would be relatively the same for VT. Oh, and if it matters, the traffic in Motown is HORRIBLE.

Good luck

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Thanks for the posts. I think that I'm goin to stick to WVU. I like how the sports are free (well you pay a fee at the beginning of the year and then just go pick up ur tickets) and I like the idea of the weekend parties they have (free food is ALWAYS a plus!) VT is offly far IMO. Excellent school, but I think I can get the same quality education at WVU. If things go the way I plan them to, I can always get a masters at VT or something like that.

Of course, now that I got Pitt's finaid package, WVU is gonna have its work cut our for them. I'd honestly pick WVU over Pitt anyway (but thats just me)

Thanks again

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Grr a couple hours after I post again, I'm confused lol. Which school do you think I could get the best overall education at, regardless of how great their engineering program is? I'm also interested in doing something with business (at WVU id have to minor in it but at VT I could specialize in it with engineering)

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

Go with your gut, not us strangers on a bulletin board. Maybe re-visit WVU since it's within a days drive and see what you think.

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

VT is better than WVU in the Engineering dept. anyday!!

If u want good academics go to VT

By Wvactrylane (Wvactrylane) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

I live in morgantown and my dd attends wvu.
She is business accounting major at wvu
doing a minor in theater.
She has had a good education so far.
She in the honors progam here.
She likes the school.
Wvu is two campus actually so it spread out.
The Downtown Campus has several of dorms on a hill.

Several of her friends are engineering majors.

By Pamvanw (Pamvanw) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

My husband is a VT engineering grad & we just went to their engineering open house this past monday with our son who is a junior. One really nice thing that would benefit you there is that you will have to take "engineering fundamentals", which is an introduction to all the engineering disciplines. We were really impressed by the organization of the open house, the lab tour, the beauty of the campus, the friendliness of the students... & the food is great too. Husband used to hire engineers at one point in his career. He only recruited from big name schools like Michigan, U Cal Berkeley, Penn State, & of course Virginia Tech. He himself had 9 job offers upon graduation. (in 1983) However, a friend of ours whose son graduated from Tech last May had 4 offers to chose from, even as bad as the economy was that year.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Nice to hear more responses about these 2 wonderful schools. I talked to a few engineers today (my school had "career day") and they told me to go with Tech any day. One lady (U of Rochester grad) told me that some of the big name international chemical companies still tend to recruit from the big-name schools more than any. Her list included VT, UC Berkeley, U of Mich, and MIT. Overall, after seeing VT and WVU, I liked VTs campus better. And from talking to students at both, it sounds like VT is the overall better school (though arguably, footballs better at WVU hehe).

Fortunately (or unfortunately), my decision is pending finaid. Of course, My heart leans VT. Both schools cost about the same. I'm just wondering that if by chance VT doesn't offer me much money this year, if they are worth taking out lots of loans for? (I'm afraid I'll get like no money and go $50k in debt)

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

My husband was recruited and hired by General Electric at WVU. He also interviewed with Boeing, Owens-Corning and a few other big companies, all on campus. Okay, that was 20 years ago but they still have a good record for job placement according to the alumni magazines we get.
Oh, well, you've got two great schools to choose from. gooooo mountaineers!

By Capgurl727 (Capgurl727) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

Hey Crazyandy, I'm highly considering VT also, but I'm not going into engineering (I'm planning on studying Biology) but I live in the same region as you (NE OH) and I have the same problem as you. My parents are wary about me going to school 6 hours from home but I want to go as far away from home as I can. VT is the furthest they'll let me go. I also didn't get any financial aid. I'll be visiting VT sometime this month and that will make my decision. I'm almost sure I will be going to VT.

By Mr_Magpie (Mr_Magpie) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

I'm a senior in ChemE at Texas A&M (which incidentally is 6 hours from my home). So here's what I have to say. You're going to have great opportunities at both universities, and how successful you are will depend on how you take advantage of the opportunities, not which school you choose.

You're right in not caring about the rankings. However, in looking around for graduate school options I have noticed that VT, much like A&M, gets a lot of genuine respect from the ChemE industry. What I'm saying is they are known for their technical expertise. So if you want to go into the industrial side of engineering (i.e. be a process engineer) then VT is the place. However, if you want to go to graduate school in engineering, or if you want to do something other than go into industry with an engineering degree (i.e. economics, etc.) or you want to really keep your options open, then you'll do just as well (or maybe better) with WVU.

Let me know if you have any ChemE questions.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Mr Magpie,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to see a college engineering student on the boards. Coincidentally, I would like to be a process engineer in the industry (like with a company like DuPont) but I would also like to further my education. I don't think I'd like to be a process engr all my life and would like to have other career options as well.

I talked to a few engineers at my high school's career day last Wed. Each one asked me where I was looking at going, and they also told me that VT has much respect in the industry. One said in her opinion that I could get a better overall background and education with VT than WVU, since WVU is only up-and-coming in the past few years.

Talks with my parents recently have me going to VT for sure. Hopefully I get a relatively decent amount of finaid from them, as this will be the key play in the decision process (but I'll push for VT either way)

By Capgurl727 (Capgurl727) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Are you going to go to the "Senior Focus" weekend April 17/18? I believe I'll be going (trying to convince my parents to let me go there)

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

yup .. ill be down on the 17th

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Hey Crazyandy -

Where I live (Baltimore), there are a fair number of kids going to both VT and WVA, and we're about the same distance from them as you are. If the "prestige factor" means anything to you, I can assure you that VT is way ahead of WVA... at least in the view of folks around here.

VT is as insane for sports as WVA, and it's going into the ACC, which should be a plus. (And students are admitted free to games at every college I know about.)

BTW... my son has been admitted to VT Engineering (waiting for word on Honors and also considering 3 other places). He didn't apply to WVA, for what that's worth. We're going for a visit on the 15th.

By Mr_Magpie (Mr_Magpie) on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

well crazyandy, sounds like you've been given a lot of good information. the only advice i have left for you is to get an internship as a process engineer as soon as you can, so that you can assess first hand if that's what you like. i did a co-op term as a process eng. and determined that it's not for me. also, it's seems like a master's degree is the way most industry people go for continuing education/job advancement.

By Capgurl727 (Capgurl727) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Hey I'm going down the 17th also! See you there!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page