Engineering/Science

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Engineering/Science
By Raining2day (Raining2day) on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Alright, I like/am good at science and math classes in High School. Likewise, I am intersted in Engineering and the sciences as college majors. But I have no idea what the next step is towards choosing a more specific major or college. When I ask how people choose their major they usually say, "I've wanted to do this since I was ... years old."
I am not really interested in going to a tech school.
Any suggestions. I feel that I could get into almost any schools, except for the absolute hardest (i.e. Harvard, Yale, etc.)
Please Help

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I would suggest "job shadowing". Our HS helps line up job shadows for the students, but you could use any connections to line them up yourself.

I must say that when we visited Harvey Mudd last year ( a tiny, very competitive LAC in So Cal specializing in the hard sciences and engineering) what really stood out was that many of the students stated that they had no idea what they wanted to do when they arrived, only that they knew they liked math & science. Through HMC's program they found out what they liked the most and were able to choose a major that fit them. We were very impressed. Also, because HMC is part of the highly regarded Claremont Consortium, one has the benefit of being able to choose any course at any of the colleges and not be restricted to only tech courses.

By Hanoman (Hanoman) on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

Try Olin College of Engineering

http://www.olin.edu/

"a curriculum that is hands-on and creative, engaging and adaptable.The "what" of the Olin curriculum is something we call the "Olin Triangle," a combination of rigorous science and engineering fundamentals, entrepreneurship and arts/humanities.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page