Penn State (Satellite Campus)?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Penn State (Satellite Campus)?
By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

Anyone know exactly what this is? I got a letter from my guidance counselor telling me schools I should begin to look at (I'm a junior). And one of them was Penn State (Satellite Campus). Now I heard of Penn State - Uni Park, but what's Satellite Campus?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

If you don't get in University Park, you're usually sent to a satellite campus. The ranking in US News is only for University Park. All the satellite campuses are ranked differently. They are much smaller and in different locales around Pennsylvania.

Stats?

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

you can just go to the satellite campus for a year or two then go to main. some of them are rather nice, like Behrend.

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

3.3 UW GPA
1100 PSAT
Decent EC's
Live on Long Island, Public School

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

I don't know how important this is, but I have a great "grade trend" My junior year GPA is 3.9.

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

it really doesnt matter for the satellite campuses... you are a shoe-in if thats where you want to go. dont worry about the degree, it will still be a PSU degree. i suggest that you check them out, they are a good bet if thats the route you want to go.

By Lvdad (Lvdad) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I believe there are a total of 22 satellite campuses, located throughout PA. Unvieristy Park is the main campus in State College, PA, as well as the largest. Main campus is the most competitive to get into. The main campus is also the most "residential" campus. I remember reading in one of the guidebooks that approximately 60% of Penn State freshmen start at a campus other than University Park, with many then transferring to main campus after the 2nd year.

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I would just like to be accepted to College Park, however. Is this possible for me?

By Lvdad (Lvdad) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

One other thing, when you apply you must list two campus location choices.

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

dont take this the wrong way, but i dont think you will get in at UP. i had a 3.8uw, 1170, loads of solid ec's and letter of rec and was not admitted. it was kinda my "all else fails plan" which is funny because that even faied. it doesnt matter though becuase thats the only rejection i got so far, and ive received a 10,000/year and 12,000/year scholarships at W&J and Juniata, respectively. i dont really know why anyone would want to go to UP, its so large and dismal..
ive been there numerous times for a volleyball camp, tournaments, science fair.. its an awesome town and a fun place to live, but i dont think i would want to go there. but, obviously, people do.
best of luck

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

College Park = UMD

PSU = University Park

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Metfan, PSU is one college that just eliminates people right off for low sat and/or gpa's. My son's friend had a 1150 sat and a 3.7 gpa and was not accepted, even for a satelitte. My D was accepted on main if she would start in the summer. She had a 1200 SAT and a 3.6 gpa - unweighted. but you never know! They do a rolling admission and the app. comes out in August, so take the sat again, get your grades up and apply early.

By Metfan8501 (Metfan8501) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

That was the PSAT I took. This was before I picked up a review book, took a class, or started my SAT flash cards. Quite possibly, I feel I can get anywhere up to a 1300.

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

by all means go for it. im disappointed that i never did any type of studying/preparation. i guess thats what you get for being the 1st generation of college students in your family.

also, i did not check the box to start in the summer. that could have been a reason too.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

Many people start at the satellite campuses even if they were accepted to UP. It is a great place to start if you want to start out w/ small class sizes (at UP many of your fresh and soph classes will be very large), or if you simply want to start out in a small setting and work your way up. 3 of the best that I know of are Erie, Berks, and Altoona. They all have housing also. Many people try to figure out the Penn State admissions formula claiming that it is just the combo of GPA/SAT(GPA is much much more important than SAT, they don't care about SAT that much at all) put into a computer. From what I have heard that is what they do and then they eliminate the ppl that aren't qualified and accept the people the are very qualified. Everyone in the middle is taken a much closer look at. However, there are also several other factors that are really important. It is very important to apply early and I am not just saying that. It gets much much more competitive as the year goes on. What major you apply for makes a huge difference. Business and engineering is difficult but undecided is easier. Also it depends on when you apply for. It is hardest to get in for the fall, but some can only come in the fall if they agree to come in the summer. And if all else fails you can even try to get in for the spring semester. Another thing that is really important is what HS you go to and there reputation w/ PSU. My HS sends almost everyone to PSU so naturally they are a lot more leniant w/ admissions. So it might be a lot tougher out of state. Anyway you look at it, if you want to graduate from PSU you have many options. Sorry this was so lengthy, I feel like all everyone talked about at my school for the past 4 years was how to get in here. Best of luck to you!

By Lvdad (Lvdad) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

When we visisted with our D, the admission people told us the decision is 2/3 GPA and 1/3 SAT scores. If you apply for University Park, it is important that you application is submitted by November 30th. That is a priority deadline. Your chances for main campus are lower if your app is submitted after that date.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page