What Do You Mean By "Minorities"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: What Do You Mean By "Minorities"?
By Taching2006 (Taching2006) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

A lot of posts are like "well, unless you are a minority, you don't have a shot at (so and so college)..." Are you guys saying that being a minority makes it easier to get into a school?

So me being an Asian student means I will have an easier time getting into a school than a white guy?

I don't think that is true. I read "The Gatekeepers" and there was this one Asian girl who was rejected from Wesleyan because the admissions committee thought that there were many "more qualified Asian applying". Why was race a factor in her rejection? So what I'm saying is that being a minority can help or hurt you either way.

By Quollock (Quollock) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Being a minority is subjective. A black man in a predominantly black ghetto means he's not a minority. He would be in somewhere, say Fargo, ND. The same goes for colleges. An Asian may seem like a minority to the USA but to colleges they make up a large majority.

URM stands for under-represented minority. Colleges are always looking for something they don't have, races included.

Hope this helps.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

For most college admissions purposes the under-represented minorities are: African Americans, Latinos, and Native Americans. Asians tend to be over represented minorities at many schools.

So if you are not one of those three you may not get much of a boost when it comes to admissions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page