Need lots of Advice-UCSD-UCLA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Need lots of Advice-UCSD-UCLA
By Jla317 (Jla317) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

I just got accepted to UCLA. I also am waiting to heard from UCSD. I have a problem though. If I get into UCSD then I am going to have to choose one. I am also from Chicago and was to CA for my first time in Jan. to see both of the schools. I thought each one was awesome. Also for computer science my major they are neck and neck. So what it comes down to is where I will be more comfortable. Being from out of state I am really nervous about leaving home, but it is a change I need to make. My two deciding factors will be the people in the school and the dorms. But I don't know anything about either of those. I am an only child, I am not a big partier. I've never drank or smoked before. But I also don't want academics to rule my life like it has in highschool. I just really need some advice on where I would fit in better, please help!

By Lilskeetums17 (Lilskeetums17) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I don't know much about the partying... I do know that since UCSD is located in La Jolla, a relatively expensive area, and only first-year students are guaranteed on-campus housing, most people get an apartment after their freshman year. The problem is, since the cost of off-campus housing is so high, students tend to go for whatever they can get, meaning everyone is spread out all over the city. Point= after your first year, you won't be living in a highly concentrated college student street/neighborhood/building. I haven't heard the greatest things about UCLA on-campus housing either, however, so I don't know.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:22 am: Edit

I would go to UCLA. The academics cannot be beat, its in a better city and in a great area of the city. The housing is not good if u get a triple, but besides that, it is good.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:11 am: Edit

The daughter of a friend goes to UCSD. The academics are great, but she said that there is not a whole lot happening after school hours that brings the students on campus together, like a great sports teams to support. Based on her take of UCSD, I'd say that you might enjoy UCLA more. (plus I'm sure that plane fares from LAX to home are cheaper than flights from San Diego)

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

Well, UCLA partisan that I am, I'd say that the schools are indeed pretty close and you probably can't choose on the basis of academics.

I personally think that UCLA gives you easy access to a wide range of recreational and cultural experiences, everything from museums to the beach, very very easily. If I were you, that would be my tipping factor...but you're not me.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:04 am: Edit

For computer science, I would choose UCSD.

For social life, I would choose UCLA.

In general (for a CS major) the schools are too cloose to choose without thinking about it. You are just going to have to think about where you would feel more comfortable.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page