USF... whats your opinion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: USF... whats your opinion
By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Hi. Im looking into University of South Florida. i been all over their website looking at information and such and i like what i read and see about the place. Im wantin to enter into pre-med and major in biology but im not sure how well this school is known. Any information about this school would be great. Social scene... everything. and what other schools would you recommend within the states of Florida, georgia, north carolina and south carolina. Im wanting to get out of Indiana and know little bout the US outside of where i live :P. i want a big city near by if not in it. thank you

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

My grandma lives right near it so I obviously took a tour. It's a nice campus, but I would suggest the University of Florida over it. Much better prestige, and overall better academics.
The only thing better about USF is location. Tampa definitely beats Gainsville.

What are your stats?

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

HM im not really sure how to show my stats but ill try:

Im a junior this year
Academic GPA 3.58 (unweighted)
total gpa: 3.60 (unweighted)

AP english in 10th 11th and will do so in 12th
one of only two students to pass the alegebra program in 8th grade (algebra wasnt offered to 8th graders then except for a few students)
This year im taking:
2 periods of interning at a local hospital
spanish II (not my best subject at all)
Pre-calc
AP english (as stated above)
Chemestry
economics
us history

Next year:
AP english
AP Calculus
AP Government
Spanish III
Intern for 3 periods at a hospital in a bigger city near by
Anatomy Physiology (sp?)

EC:
Show Choir 2 years (dance captain and vocal section leader one year)
Student to Student College and Career Research (founder and president)
Volunteer at local hospital
Went with people to people student ambassador program to europe during the summer of 2003

I have yet to take the SAT'S
took the psat's but sucked really bad on it cause i guessed on some when i shouldnt have answered at all :(

is that ok for stats? sorry.. new to all this

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I think you have a chance with all those AP classes. Just get around a 1300 on the SAT and I think you'd be pretty competitive.

I got into UFL Out of state with a 3.5 GPA

(you might have seen 3.3 in other threads, but that was my "UC" GPA for UC schools like UCLA, berkeley, etc...)

SAT: 1300 (UC SAT is 1290, cuz they don't take separate sittings)

SAT II: 640,600,580

EC: few leaderships

good essay

I'd say you're good to go, just start prepping for the SAT Now.

You have a great future lying in front of you.

Good luck!

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

whoa... i sure wasnt expecting that opinion.. wow you gave me hope flyguy. :) thank you.. made my night. also, do you know any other colleges to apply to in florida? actually im willing to go anywhere in these states:
Florida
Georgia
N.c.
S.C.
Arizona
California
possibly texas or oklahoma
if things dont go ok with my fathers company issues then i will be forced to go instate.. :(

i prefer public schools but a lil list of nice private schools that i would have even a slight chance of gettin in would be great. Thank you once again hun

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

oh also... whats the advantages of taking the ACT's and SAT II's on the psats i did better on the writing part of the "sat II" section thingy.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

happy to help!

apply to UC's like me, and maybe New College of Florida (if you're looking for a LAC, but it's a lot harder to get in..)

Also, SAT IIs reaffirm your academic credentials as long as they're 600+ range..

Take one related to what you want to major in.

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Im goin for poss. major in biology as well as taking pre-med then will try for a med school to be a cardiologist, internal med, or family practice doctor. .. my mom encourages in state schools and will only let me apply to 3 colleges... less i can cough up the money but i dont have a job nor ever have. im only a junior but i cant help but worry what school will take me. mom and dad will be payin for my college but mom wont let me transfer either... she says i must stay at the college i choose...

I probably will apply to more than 3 but ill get a job so i can pay for the application fees

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

u just listed my career track... haha

major in bio, premed, then med school hahaha

and yes, cardiology too --->cardiovascular surgery when im 35 :P

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

lol.. 'ats freaky... im kinda interested in plastic surgery but only if i could do the make over ones and such :$ u a senior?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

yep, I've already been accepted to

UFL
Maryland
Penn State
Rutgers
Cal Fullerton
Cal Poly SLO
UC Riverside

And Rejected from
UCLA

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

oh i see..... mom wont lemme go to california now. gosh. i wish she would find solid requirements for me instead of changin her mind. I know i should be the one to find the college right for me.. i am but i aint payin for my schooling so i have to consider them also :( gah

do ya know what one ur wantin to go to yet? or the one ur most interested in? why did u choose those schools? :D sorry just curious

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Waiting on USC, University of Delaware, and every other UC (including Berkeley and UCSB, my top two UCs).

As of right now, I'd go to Florida if I had to choose , followed closely by Cal Poly.

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

i really hope mom will let me go to florida. i think she will and theres not much cost difference tween indiana schools and the florida schools in interested in. so ur from out of state.. if you dont mind me askin.. what state are u from? and why florida?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

New Jersey, lots of family in Florida...dad retiring to florida in a few years..

mom lives in california..that explains the UC schools

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

i see. i also have family in florida. my grandma spend half her year *the winter* in florida. and my other grand parents are talkin about moving to florida. if we get the issues solved with the company, we might move too somewhere. we are the type of family (intermediate being me, mom, dad, bro and his family, and sis and her family) would move too. but they wouldnt move if i went to college there. I have the personality of a loner when it comes to family and i LOVE to be around a lot of people i dont know. i love big cities and warm weather. i absolutly hate snow. so those are some of the reasons that im interested. so u reccomend UFL eh. hm... how big is gainsville? hope its bigger than my 7 thous population town :(

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

Haha, same with my grandma... Called a "snowbird"

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

The city seemed pretty hickish, but I'm sure you would be on the campus most of the time. It's great.

Almost like an ivy league, cuz of all the red brick, but with warm weather.

They were telling us on the tour that a lot of movies are filmed there and portray it to be one of the ivies (princeton, harvard, etc.) cuz its warm as opposed to the north east.

Yes snow does suck doesn't it.. :)

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

yes.. it blows... literally :(

im used to living in a hick town.. i been in one for 17 yrs :( gah... so depressing.

I am gonna visity usf on spring break. i doubt ill get up there to seel gainsville.

im also a spontanious person (as well as a horrible speller) so i want to be in a city where theres always something to do and well a city that "doesnt sleep." does gainfville provide that opportunity or lifestyle? (sorry i just know didly bout that town)

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

I was only there for a few hours (for the tour) but I got some roasted peanuts and they were good. HAHA

umm, i think the college will offer a lot, there is a huge student body, and I'm sure you'll find your niche...

It's only an hour or two north of Tampa I think?

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

LOLOL roasted peanuts eh... lol hm interesting hehe

:) sounds cool.. ill into the school more.. thank you :)

and yeah i think ur right... its not toooo far from tampa which would probably be a good thing :D i wish i could skip ahead a year, im wantin to graduation SOOO bad its depressing :P dumb school :( hehe

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

yea, senior year is kinda unproductive...i'm king of senioritis..im dying

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

LOLOL i got a •••• load of classes next year :( so no break for me. i decided against college classes senior year as i dont think my college credits will transfer to the schools in looking into. im worried that since im out of state applyin to a public university and dont have any TRUE talent (besides a good personality and can play piano a bit) that i wont get accepted. were u worried bout that?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

I don't have any talent. HAha

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

Except for a 1300 SAT score which everyone I know thinks is high and everyone on this forum thinks is low

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

lol id be lucky to get close to taht :P.. welp hey ima gonna go to bed... feel free to email me.. its in ma profile. thanx again for the help and such and hope everything goes well for ya... if ya do go to FL maybe ill look ya up if ur interested.. ttul thanx again..

~shell~

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Definitely, I'll stick around in this forum..

If all goes well, I'll introduce you to the campus when I'm a sophomore. So will Kirst (this other girl I know online from PR forums). hehe

Goodnight....good luck again

-Justin

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:40 am: Edit

Florida is a good school but I would never go there over Indiana, I know you don't want to stay in state but that is such an awesome school. If I could pick a school to go to in Florida I would choose Florida State, it seems really underrated. USF and UCF are prob fine schools but let's be honest they have absolutely no reputation outside of Florida. In South Carolina try out University of South Carolina and College of Charleston. UNC-CH is really hard to get into but NC State is supposed to be good. I guess you're only looking for schools that have good weather. Well I'm going to Penn State but I've lived my whole life in bad weather, so its cool. Good luck!

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I got in PSU too. hehe

I think UFL is better than FSU?
At least according to rankings..

Tell me more

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

whoa whoa whoa

you guys are definetly overrating USF..if you were talking about UCF, then i would agree with eveyrthing you are saying..but there are kids in my school (i live in southern florida) with 2.5 gpa's ranked in the 200's who got into USF..its not hard at all to get in..

silent angel, you are def. a candidate for UF and UCF (which has surpassed FSU as the #2 florida school)..which is not hard at all either to get in (although both getting tougher)..how about UM? there science program is great, and it is a great school..but ithink you havea shot at some of the good schools out there if you bring your rank, and sat scores up a little..

also take the ACT..its easier for some people..for me, i got a 1240 on the SAT..but a 35 on the ACT..which is a 1550!

bottom line..apply to UCF and UF..i think USF is like a safety for you

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

We were talking about UF

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

http://www.medicalhelpnet.com/index.php%3Foption=displaypage&Itemid=149&op=page&SubMenu=.html

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

jolt, you really think UCF has improved? Because if it has I should def. go there over FSU. I hear a lot of people say they are the same now.

I'm waiting for my response from UF. Anybody know if there are a lot of good looking girls at UF? UCF has tons and I know FSU does too.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

UCF has definitely improved..their standards are up, the intrest in the school is up, and the academics are up...and yes, there are good looking girls at UF (from what i could tell of watching kids from my school go in the past 2 years )

that website goodchocolate gave..it had this about the Brown Med School..

"Brown Medical School (BMS) (8 year program) Guaranteed admission into the medical school. Applicants have an average 710 verbal SAT score, 730 mathematics SAT score, and graduated in top 2 percent of high school class. Three SAT II subject tests required (one should be in science)."

is that the PLME program? because i dont remember them asking me for SAT2's...the app said ACT or SAT 1 and SAT 2's

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Reclipse2k, my sister's in the same boat with you.

She got into FIU, UCF, FSU, and USF, but is stuck deciding between FSU and UCF. She may go with UCF just because the campus is closer to home and is nicer, but I'd recommend FSU just because it has a much better national reputation.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

FSU is known to be a bigger party school than UF..and their reputation is going down the toilet..they are forced now to take almost anybody because not that many are interested anymore..i think UCF is the better school now..but to each their own

By Goodchocolate (Goodchocolate) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:10 pm: Edit

That has to be true considering my sister had a 2.7 unweighted and a 920 SAT; we still don't understand why UCF accepted her...

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

well I plan on going to one of the colleges for a couple of years. Then transfering to a top college, I would be going to NYU or something, but I was screwed over by my school and teachers during my 12 and 11th grade years. I got my first C since like 6th grade and basically got shafted. My SATs weren't as high as I would have liked them to be either.

So would it be hard to transfer into like a top school after one or two years if I'm doing really well?

and jolt, I like UCF better, but according to those USNEWS rankings FSU is ranked a lot higher than UCF. I heard those rankings are bogus though.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

after having a couple of friends at UF for a couple of years..everyone says they are going to transfer..but none of them do

FSU was probably better last year and the year before...but this year they are probably tied, and in the next couple of years, UCF will move ahead of FSU..

bottom line: florida schools suck...lol (biased cause i really hate living in FL)

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

920 and 2.7? you gotta be kidding me, I know a couple of people with 1100+ and 3.4-3.8 GPAs that didn't get into UCF... did she apply like REALLY REALLY early decision?

so anybody know how hard it would be to get out of FL in a couple of years if I do well? I'd prefer NYU or Columbia, because I'd like to head back to NYC

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

It seems like the majority of the people in florida have a completely different opinion of there state schools and state in general than the rest of the country. It seems like most of the ppl on this board that live in florida are dying to leave while many from up north are dying to go to florida. There must be something I'm missing about florida, I guess I just think so highly of it because of the weather?And although I do believe that UCF might be improving, out of fla it has as much of a reputation as my local community college even tho 30,000 kids are at UCF. Everyone knows and generally likes FSU tho. Just my opinion.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

it is becasue the weather isn't all it is cracked up to be..after a while, here is what you start to realize

its too hot
it rains a lot
it rains too little
its too hot
the beach gets boring
you only get 2 seasons (summer and a cooler summer)
its too hot

anything else? lol

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Yea I definetly wanna get out of FL, because I've been here so long. A lot of people in FL are from the north and just hate it because it isn't like their old places. most people want to get out for all the wrong reasons.

but I keep asking and getting no response, would it be hard to transfer from UCF or FSU into like NYU or something in a couple of years?

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

yes, very hard...but not impossible

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

well it can't be harder than coming out of a community college can it?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

would you say university of miami edges out UF, FSU, USF etc. as the top university in florida?

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

from what I understand UF is #1 UM is a close second, UCF and FSU are 3rd depending on who you ask, and USF I'm guessing if #5.

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:14 pm: Edit

hm, well i want to go to a school that has a good reputation for academics so that i can have the possibility of goin to med school in a different state if wanted. so from what i gather.. fsu is good ucf is good and UM is really good. usf isnt looked at highly.. :( darn i was gettin all worked on tampa and such... what about university of georgia? emory obviously is a nice school... how bout duke? i want some place warmer and different from indiana with the campus near or in a big city but known for their academics. any good suggestions? whats out in arizona? no cali schools as i doubt i'd have a chance and mom says no :P

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

UM's science and medicine program is the best in florida..i know a kid who declined Harvard to go to UM's accelerated med-school (valedvictorian last year)..i think UM is the best school in florida..but kids in FL don't choose it because they get the Bright Futures scholarship and go to UF for free, but the scholarship doesn't count for private schools, so they would have to pay for UM

By Reclipse2k (Reclipse2k) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

well the bright futures does count for UM it just gives you only like $3000

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

i said that...

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

ok and another quick question about UM.. which would you say is better, their communications school or their business school.. I got accepted into their communications school for advertising as my first choice major, however I shouldn't have a problem switchin to marketing in the bus school if it is drastically better... what do you think?

...Also from a video of UM I watched, it seemed like nearly all the kids in the video were doing double majors. How would I go about doing that? Say for example if i wanted to do advertising/finance

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page