Michigan State vs. Penn State

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Michigan State vs. Penn State
By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I am basically already going to Penn State but I am just curious about a few things. I just got a $4,000/year scholarship from Michigan State. I've never visited this school but I've heard it has a beautiful campus. I am also thinking about majoring in logisitics and they are ranked #1 in the country for it while Penn State is #4. You barely ever hear anything from this school in PA, what are your opinions on it?

By Hockey4life90 (Hockey4life90) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

I live in PA...yeah...i'd take Michigan State over Penn State any day...

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Michigan State does have a beautiful campus. I went there for my undergraduate degree and loved the campus. It was the first land grant college and one of the first agricultural colleges, so the campus has lots of green space, gardens, beautiful old trees, "ivy-covered halls." It's nice in the fall with all the leaves, and there is the Red Cedar River running through campus.

Lots of choices in dorms: cool old Gothic-type to newer suite-style. The campus is self-contained with the town next to it with shops and restaurants. The college brings in all sorts of concerts, touring plays, and so on. Lots to do. Let me know if you want to know more...

By Peterline (Peterline) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

i live in PA too, and i would take michigan over psu any day as well.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Then how come less than 5% of the school is from out-of-state? I guess it's just completely over looked next to UMich. I wouldn't go here just based on the fact that every1 I talk to from PA about it thinks im refering to the University of Michigan. You have to admit that something like that is really annoying (For example: confusing Penn with Penn State).

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

XYZ,

Like many state U's MSU is limited in how many out of state kids it takes, so getting into MSU from out of state is more difficult. Yes, it is in the shadow of U. Mich, too.

You might notice if you look in a college guide, that state U's fall into two groups - those that let in about 25-30% from out of state, such as U. Mich, UVA etc, and those that allow under 10%, such as MSU, all of U. Cal, U. Ill. etc. Funny thing is that there does not seem to be much connection between out of state % and academic ranking.

BTW, MUS is many thousands cheaper for out of state than U. Mich.

By Psymom (Psymom) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

You will love Penn State--sorry but living in PA is not the same as going to school at Penn State. I went there--had a terrific 4 years and great preparation for grad school.

The campus is beautiful, safe, and very self sufficient with lots of activities. It's large, but you'll find a niche whatever your interests might be. Great educational opportunities -- you can make it as rigorous as you wish.

The loyalty of Penn State alumni says a lot!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page