Wesleyan or Middlebury?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Wesleyan or Middlebury?
By Justice (Justice) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Which one should I use as my match/safety? Anyone know stuff about these schools?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

I do not consider Wesleyan or Middlebury as safeties for anyone. Even as a match it is very risky. Any school that accepts less than a third of its applicants is really a lottery ticket.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Unless you're a minority and/or heavily recruited athlete with those scores listed in your profile, neither could really be a safety for anyone. I disagree with Jamimom in that I think they can be viable "match" schools (if we define match as 50-75% chance of acceptance) for many.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

I also do not consider either of those schools a safety for ANYONE. Without knowing your stats, but if you are a highly qualified candidate, these schools could be a match for you.
Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I should add since you referred to these schools as "match/safety", I likely would refer to them as "match/reach", though that classification is a bit different for each person depending on their qualifications. One person's reach might be someone else's match. But these schools in general, for the very best students, are more like match/reach.
Susan

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Yeah they're definitely going to be hard schools to get into. I'm simply considering them matches/safety purely on board scores (800v, 800m, 800w, 800iic), but I'm definitely wary of using a school with a 26% admit rate as a safety. I will have other safeties for sure so don't worry. Does anyone know things about these schools in particular? I will probably apply to 10 max so I will probably have to choose between these two. What do you guys think about these two schools?

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 07:54 am: Edit

Look at the individual schools/Wesleyan thread. It is long and has a good discussion of many topics-science, gays, political atmosphere, etc. There is probably a similar thread on Middlebury. You could also do message searches and see where these two schools have popped up.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

Just read the Middlebury thread and your old posts. I don't think you are the Wesleyan type; Middlebury would be a better bet.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

Justice,
I agree with Pattykk that Middlebury would suit you better in some senses - it is a bit more on the conservative side. But - another way of looking at it is that you are very passionate in your beliefs, and enjoy discussions with people of differing opinions. Sitting around agreeing with people is a little dull. Have you thought about U of Chicago? Not a safety either, exactly, but you would be a strong candidate and you would certainly never want for discussion.

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I'm actually not that conservative---like economics-wise I'm conservative (i think it's hard not to be), but I'm definitely not anti-immigrant, anti-gay, whatever. So I'm fairly centrist and I would never choose a school based on its political tilt. I'm considering UChicago because some friends went there last year, but I really don't know anything about it besides that it has a good physics program. I just read the Wesleyan thread and it does seem a little too weird for my tastes...can anyone recommend any other smaller LACs? To tell you the truth the only reason I began to consider Middlebury was because my favorite teacher went there and because a lot of fun and good-looking girls I know go there. I actually don't want to go to a particularly cliquey school at all so that definitely puts me off from Middlebury if its true. I can't get a good read on it from my friends because they have different values. Are there an schools that are fairly open but aren't completely edgy like Vassar?

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

My DS initially looked at Bowdoin because of JL Chamberlain - and then decided that it was only fair to look at Washington and Lee. He will be visiting both - very different schools, but both culturally intriguing. One of the things about Bowdoin is that it belongs to an incredible number of consortia. You could do about anything there. Of course, its not ready a safety. Colby looks both interesting and friendly. Macalester in MN would certainly be different - in location if nothing else - but it would'nt hurt to look at the website. I hope that you will get to do a lot of visits as that will certainly help you decide.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:32 am: Edit

I agree with Ohio Mom about both Bowdoin and Washington & Lee. Also, Bowdoin, Middlebury and Wesleyan are three of the Magnificent Seven schools and you might look at the other four: Swathmore, Colgate, Amherst and Williams. Add to your list Haverford and Tufts.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 04:34 am: Edit

Also think about Davidson, Bates, Colby and Kenyon.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

Colgate, Lafayette, Grinnell, Trinity.

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Bucknell

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Middlebury and Wesleyan are only safeties for a very few students...I wouldn't count on being one of them. Only consider them as matches if you have 1450+ SATs, top decile, AND very good ECs...otherwise they're probably closer to reaches for you.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Are there an schools that are fairly open but aren't completely edgy like Vassar?

Bates, Carleton, Pomona, Grinnell, Macalester

By Raining2day (Raining2day) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

O and while we're at it add:

Duke, Seton Hall, Illinois, Cincinnati, Texas, and Xavier

By Raining2day (Raining2day) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

It was just funny how all you wanted was one LAC as school that you had a good chance of getting into and you had narrowed it down to two, but now people are suggesting hundreds of other schools that you probably have no interest in.

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

yea lol..

The academics at both are about the same. Middlebury is sick... choose it over Wesleyan.

By Lseldin (Lseldin) on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I go to Middlebury and it's absolutely amazing...there is no where else I would rather be....try to resist the Ivy temptation and come to Midd....it's the perfect school..if you want some specifics, feel free to e-mail me about anything at lseldin@middlebury.edu. If you choose to visit the campus, I'm a Midd tour guide so I can maybe get you some contacts!! Good luck with college acceptances and don't assume anything about Midd until you've spoken to an actual student!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page