Admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Admissions
By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:50 am: Edit

Hi. Thanks for everyone help. This site is really great. I need some peoples opinions on my application. Some may already know that I am a law graduate from UK (2.2) and managed to top my class for two subjects in my year which has high Philosophy and Sociology content. I am now planning to do a new undergraduate degree in Philosophy and Economics. I have e-mailed a few universities but some say that they dont award second bachelors. I intend to write a letter if its possible to waive the second degree rule and give reasons why they should take me. I intend to send some recommendation letters written by my Proffesors. I would like to know if:

1) Would the colleges still insist on me sitting for SAT I and SAT II?
2) Should I enclose the application fee as technically I am trying to apply to the university?
3) I have spoken to some academics in my current university and they told me to write to the american universities. The worse that could happen is a 'No'as an answer. It also shows admissions that I am persistent and committed to enter their university and some might take it as a positive sign. What do you guys think?

Thank you!!!! You guys are great!

By Coureur (Coureur) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Since you already have a degree you will certainly be an unconventional applicant. Thus the SAT requirement may be waived, but my guess is there is no rule - each school will have to decide for itself whether you need to take the exam.

I would not send an application fee until the school has agreed to accept your application. Right now you are still convincing them of why you should be allowed to apply.

One question I have is why do you wish to take a second bachelor's? It would be much simpler and easier for you to apply to grad school, since you would fit within the existing system. Graduate students are allowed to enroll in undergraduate level courses, so you could take all the same philosophy and economics courses that you wanted, and when you came out you would have an advanced degree. That would also make you a stronger job candidate; people with two degrees at the same level are often viewed as folks who have difficulty making up their minds.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:06 am: Edit

I agree with Coureur - a second bachelors is probably not what you want. If you don't want to go to grad school right now, maybe you could be a non-degree seeking student somewhere and take the courses you are interested in without actually being an undergraduate or a grad student. This is pretty common. I know quite a few people who took preqs for med school this way after graduating from college with a non-science major. Sometimes people take courses in things like engineering or finance for advancement in their careers but aren't concerned about a degree. You probably want want something like that, so you can just take the courses you are interested in and not worry about things like distribution requirements that apply to traditional undergraduates.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Well I am constantly discouraged from doing a second undergraduate degree but there are various reasons why I want to do another degree. First of all I hated law. Second my law grades are quite poor except certain subjects that I really enjoyed. There is a low chance I would get a decent job as I am not able to show consistency. Thirdly, I constantly wanted to quit my course to do a fresh course in Philosophy but I couldn't due to commitments to parents. Fourthly, I believe that academia is a place where you develop yourself, learn more about your self, be more confident with your abilities and meet people. This was hardly achieved as half the time, I was depressed. There are other reasons as well but really dont want to dwell into the British education system. Thank you for you help!!! I really appreciate it.

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 05:18 am: Edit

bump

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 09:52 am: Edit

bump

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

I'm guessing from what you say that you feel that you would not be able to get into a decent graduate program on the basis of your undergraduate grades. I would strongly suggest that you contact schools that you are interested in and ask if you would be a candidate for such a program. As Coureur pointed out, you could take undergraduate course in areas that intersted you and still get a higher degree. I wonder if you are aware that you do not always have to choose a graduate degree based on your undergraduate major. This means that if you don't want to take a graduate degree in law, you don't have to.

If you are determined to get a second undergraduate degree, I think your best approach would be as a non-traditional student, and you should be looking for colleges who have experience in this area.

I would caution you, however, about moving to a foreign country and then expecting to fit right in. As a transplanted Englishwoman I can tell you it's not that easy. You mention that you do not feel you made the best use of your time at university vis a vis self-knowledge and self-confidence. Have you considered that this might still be a problem when you're in another country, and mixing with students who are younger than you?

Jennifer

By Lordmandean (Lordmandean) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page