From a 2003 graduate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: From a 2003 graduate
By Stanfordalumnus (Stanfordalumnus) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

When I'm bored I sometimes go on this website to see how high school seniors perceive Stanford. I just graduated in 2003 and I can tell you all that Stanford is the most unbelievable academic institution in the world as well as an amazing place to be for four years. Most of what people say on this Web site is uninformed high school hearsay/speculation. If anyone has any questions about Stanford I'd be happy to answer them. I know all aspects of Stanford (ie. academics, social scene, athletics, research, etc.) very well, and there is not a single thing that's disappointing.

By Rocksolid4 (Rocksolid4) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

I'd love to hear them - I live on the East Coast, so it's quite hard to get out there (family is on a bit of a shoestring budget...)

How does the surrounding area compare to New Haven, or Boston, or the like? How are the dorms arranged, are they big, are they nice, are they conveniently located? Good food? Workload?

By Sac (Sac) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

What is the social scene like? Does it split between athletes and non-athletes? Does it get boring being in a suburb? What do people do on weekends?

Do you know anything about SLE? Does doing that or living in Soph/Frosh residential college, separate people from the rest of the campus social life?

Do you get much contact with professors? Everyone talks about great experiences in Sophomore College, but don't a lot of people not get admitted to that?

Are there many bands on campus? Is there any place on campus or in Palo Alto for them to play?

Thanks.

By Stanfordalumnus (Stanfordalumnus) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Rocksolid-- I'm from Boston. i love boston. in fact, i live in boston now. but the bay area is so culturally rich, beautiful, fun and exciting. as much as i love boston, i think going to school in the bay area is much better. im back in boston because this is where i want to live and because my family is here. the dorms are nice and very conveniently located. they're not huge, but they're not small. the food is good, but then again im not too picky. the workload depends on you. for me it wasnt so bad. the social scene is there, but if you partied a lot in high school like i did, it can seem to be a let-down at first. but theres a thriving social scene if you want it. there is not much of a social split between athletes and non athletes. maybe because the athletes at stanford happen to be just as intellectual as the regular students. as for sle, i wasnt in it and i dont know much about it. but i do think that sle sort of separates you from others. then again, its not such a huge separation that you cant compensate. by the way, if you have any questions about stuff you should also include what you're like and what you're interested in. i can talk about how i liked the social scene or academics, but thats from my perspective and it might not apply to you.

as for bands on campus i know there are some. im not sure how it compares to other schools. there are tons of places and opprotunities for bands to play on campus.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page