Albright, West Chester, Elizabethtown or Arcadia???????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Albright, West Chester, Elizabethtown or Arcadia???????
By Cbs57 (Cbs57) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

Time to make the big decision. Anyone have any input on the following schools:

Albright, West Chester, Elizabethtown or Arcadia

What would you choose for an English/Theatre major?

Any help would be appreciated.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:33 am: Edit

I'd say Arcadia (formerly Beaver College!) is probably your best bet in terms of English and overally academic quality. I don't have specific information on their theater department, however.

After that, I'd say Elizabethtown has the strongest English program, followed by Albright and then WestChester.

Hope this helps somewhat. Your best bet is to go to the web site of each page, look through the course catalog very carefully (especially look at how many classes in theater/english are actually offered each semester and whether they fill up quickly or not) and, of course, to visit your top choices once again. During your visit, schedule appointments with faculty members in the departments you're interested in. Good luck.

By Kathiep (Kathiep) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

My daughters friend is a Freshman at Albright. She loves it. In high school she was one of the theatre kids so I know she looked into that opportunity at college.

My neighbor is a professor at Arcadia! Unfortunately, that's just worthless information, because he teaches philosphy... His daughters attend DeSales (theatre major) and Ursinus (English major). West Chester is also thought to have a good theatre program but is still known more as a teachers college. imho.

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

I would say Arcadia...and that's from personal bias. Im in the honor society here at my community college and a good friend of mine got the AU transfer scholarship. She has never been so amped up in all my knowing her. It's really good in English and the campus is nice and relaxing.

By Cbs57 (Cbs57) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I think I have narrowed it down to Arcadia and Albright as far as academics and location. Does anyone have an opinion on social life, student population, etc. at these two schools. Someone mentioned something about Albright catering to atheletes and Arcadia being a suitcase school with a lot of people leaving for the weekends. Any opinions/info would be appreciated.

By Hill (Hill) on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Both schools I believe to be "suitcase schools". Especially Albright - being in the Reading area. It's not the best neighborhood, but could be worse.

I'm biased towards Elizabethtown - nice location, small town school but not far from Hershey/Harrisburg area. Good English/Theatre department. Have decent athletics and students stay on weekends.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page