Law

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Law
By Nari (Nari) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:13 am: Edit

hi. i am from germany and i was just wondering how you can study law in the usa. i saw that harvard and yale don't offer law-majors for undergraduates. do other schools?
so, what major do people take, if they want to become a lawyer or a judge?

thanks!!!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:47 am: Edit

In the US you go to law school which is a three year graduate school after you have graduated with a bachelors degree. There are many law schools and Harvard and Yale have them but again they are graduate schools. To get into a US law school you need a bachelors degree, a high college GPA, and a high score on the LSAT test, the admission test for law school. At the undergrad level it really makes no difference what you major in as law schools take applicants with all kinds of majors including English, history, political science, economics, science, math, engineering.

By Nari (Nari) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

thanks for your answer. just another one? how long do you need for a bachelor degree? two or four years??

so ist it right that sat's don't matter if you want to go to a law school?

By Coureur (Coureur) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

The bachelor's degree usually takes four years, sometimes longer, seldom shorter. You must take the SAT (or ACT) to get into an American university to earn the bachelor's. You then take the LSAT to be admitted into a law school.

Total: 7 years and 2 standardized tests.

SATs don't matter directly for law school - the LSAT does. But you want to do well on the SAT to get into a good college in order to get into a good law school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page