Help me find the perfect colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Help me find the perfect colleges
By Soraji (Soraji) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Hello everyone! I am in need of some help. I am nearing the end of my junior year in high school and I am very much looking foward to college, just I can't seem to find too many that meet my criteria. Could you please help suggest some good colleges for me?

Me:
- Asian/White
- Really interested in sciences
- 3.9 CUM GPA
- Has taken honors/AP
- Top 10% of class
- First SAT Score: 1220 (expecting higher in May)
- Female

What I'm looking for:
- Public/private. Doesn't matter.
- Location: Nice warmer climates. I don't like areas that have more winter than summer. I like warm areas and I really like beaches.
- Near large cities, but perhaps not smack dab in the middle of a huge one
- No religious affiliation.
- Attractive campuses
- At least 3000 students
- Places with ethnic diversity (specifically asians)
- Friendly students/good teachers/good job opportunities

Could anyone suggest a few colleges that I could start to take a look at? ANY help would be very much appreciated!

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

Stanford.
Berkeley.

By Soraji (Soraji) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:50 am: Edit

Lol. Might I add that I'm instate to Florida.

Also, I doubt I have any chance what so ever at Stanford and little to none at Berkeley. (Maybe 10% at most). I'm not going to lie to myself. I also have no ambition to go to an Ivy League. I'd much rather go to one where I can be comfortable and happy.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

how about emory in atlanta, GA?

By Banana1119 (Banana1119) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

Try UC Santa Cruz, Santa Clara. Nice weather beauriful campus.

By Goblue2008 (Goblue2008) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:02 am: Edit

What do you plan on studying?

University of Texas @ Austin (competitive business school, recognized engineering)
University of Florida (recognized engineering, decent accounting school)
University of Miami (good pre-med, private, south beach rocks, nice campus)
UCs (whatever you want, hard to get in from out of state)
University of Central Florida (quickly growing)
University of South Florida (quickly growing)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

How about Rice in Texas? Other possibilities:
Occidental College (California), Pomona College (California), Rhodes (Memphis, Tn), Duke (North Carolina), Tulane (Louisiana), Trinity University (Texas), Southwestern University (Texas), University of Arizona (Tuscon), Arizona State University (Tempe).

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:40 pm: Edit

USC, UCLA

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

All of the UCs have great weather, and all have a very large asian population - in fact, I think there are more asians that caucasians at each campus. Most UCs are either on the beach,or within a short drive.

Although it is much harder to get in from out of state, chances would be much better at a less competitive UC.

Out of state tuition would really increase the cost to comparable to a private college, however.

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

All of the UCs have great weather, and all have a very large asian population - in fact, I think there are more asians than caucasians at each campus. Most UCs are either on the beach,or within a short drive.

Although it is much harder to get in from out of state, chances would be much better at a less competitive UC.

Out of state tuition would really increase the cost to comparable to a private college, however.

By Bearlyhanginin (Bearlyhanginin) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Harvey Mudd in California

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Occidental
Pepperdine(for sure-it's right up on a cliff
overlooking the Pacific Ocean, minutes
away from Los Angeles)
San Diego State University
USC

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit

Ugh, NOT San Diego State, especially for sciences! It's not worth coming all the way from Florida to go to SDSU!

However, the University of San Diego (private school) has wonderful science programs and a state-of-the-art research facility.

In Florida, look at Eckerd and Stetson. However, I think Emory would also be a good place to consider.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 03:47 am: Edit

I was taking into consideration cost and location. Please keep comments to yourself. Thank you very muck Carolyn. I'm not saying anything about your suggestions.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

I am confused by the "please keep comments to yourself." Please explain.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

>>Please keep comments to yourself.<<

The original poster is ASKING for our comments. Providing comments is what this board is for.

I live in San Diego, and I agree with Carolyn's comments on SDSU. Keep the comments coming.

By Silent_Angel (Silent_Angel) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

what bout University of South Florida (can ya tell im lovin this college so far?:D) its main campus is in tampa.. northern part i think.. short drive to clearwater and such.. 90 miles from orlando. the pics of the campus look nice however im goin to see the campus in april so hopefully i wont be let down. Its not too far from ybor city, its warm, large town (DER) ... u sound kinda like me but im from way up north unfortunately.

By Mike2008 (Mike2008) on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

uci

By Bentley1472 (Bentley1472) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:10 am: Edit

college of charleston

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page