What are my chances in California?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: What are my chances in California?
By Iii (Iii) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I'm a junior in high school with a 3.71 academic, 3.74 total, 4.21 weighted GPA.

I'm taking seven academic courses this year and plan to take seven next year, too.

I took one AP in sophomore year, I'm taking two AP classes and three AP exams this year, and I plan to take five or six next year.

Assuming I keep a steady GPA (3.7 or higher), improve my 1360 (670M, 690V) SAT to reach the mid 1400s, do well on SATII's and the ACT, which schools should I be focusing on and applying to? I'm not worried about essays, but I know a lack of extracurriculars will hurt me.

I'm probably going to stay in California (UC's, Claremont schools, USC, Occidental) for college, but I'm also thinking about school in New York and Boston if I can figure out how to pay my way out of here.

Which schools should I be looking into and what kind of response can I expect? I'm open to suggestions.

By Girlinbraids (Girlinbraids) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

What are you thinking of majoring in? One very good school in California that you didn't list is Pomona, which is pretty near Occidental. It's harder to get into than Oxy, but you'd definitely have a chance at being accepted there. Also, if you wouldn't mind going to Oregon you could check out Reed. In the Boston area the first schools that pop into my head are Tufts and Brandeis. Also, Amherst and Williams. They aren't in Boston but are fabulous schools.
I'm sure lots of people will respond to your post with lists of schools which will give you a starting point in your college search. It all depends on what kind of school you're looking for: Big/small, liberal/conservative, more science-oriented or not, etc. etc. Good luck with your search!

By Iii (Iii) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Pomona is one of the Claremont colleges, and they all look very nice to me.

Portland and the rest of Oregon is a possibility, too. Reed's small and seems highly intellectual (as a college should be, I guess), and I'm trying to figure out whether I'd like that or something larger.

I'm pretty sure I want a midsize, mostly-liberal (though not too political), liberal arts school. I'm considering Biology/Pharmacology and English as majors. Uh, hopefully I won't grow crazy enough over the next year to consider a double-major in those fields.

By Gnatcire (Gnatcire) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

Since I attend Pomona, I have some experience with the Claremont Colleges so I'll tell you what I think about them for your situation.

Considering the atmosphere and majors that you are interested in, I would recommend not applying to either Pitzer or Claremont Mckenna. Pitzer has its emphasis on Social Sciences and Mckenna of Economics and Politics. CMC is also pretty conservative for a college. Harvey Mudd has a science emphasis, and I don't believe they even offer an English major, so that could be something to be wary of. Scripps might be fine, unless you are male. Also, none of the Claremont Colleges offer a Pharmacology major, at least to my knowledge.

By Iii (Iii) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I'm mostly interested in general Biology and English as majors.

I'm looking at Pomona and Tufts as reach schools, considering Brandeis and Babson as good fits, and USC, Occidental, and Pitzer as safeties.

Maybe my hopes are too high and my aims misguided?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page