Boston College vs other schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Boston College vs other schools
By So_Pink (So_Pink) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

how do u guys compare BC to schools like NYU, Northwestern, university of chicago, umich, university of chicago, tufts, georgetown, notre dame, wellesley, smith, USC, unc-chapel hill, emory, cornell , and other schools in academics, admissions, student body, social life, college life, campus, etc... mahalo!~

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:01 am: Edit

IMHO, of the schools you mentioned, academically BC is not on a par with some (NW, Chi, Michigan, Tufts, Georgetown, ND, Wellesley, SMith UNC, COrnell) but is better than NYU, USC & Emory. As for campus life, energy, school spirit and pride, BC ranks with ND, USC and Michigan, all among the best in that category, and that's all thanks to excellent athletic programs. As for admissions, BC is getting harder to get into, especially when students want to be in Boston & can't get into Harvard, MIT or Tufts. Of the schools you mentioned and depending of course on your stats and ECs, BC is usually harder to get into than NYU, Michigan, ND, Smith, USC, UNC and Emory. But this is all IMHO and with all of these cases, I don't know what the variables are that would shift things in favor of one school over the others. Again, it all comes down to what you want personally from a college, visiting the campus and determining if it'll be the right place for you.

By So_Pink (So_Pink) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

ooh i c...thanks!~

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

"but is better than NYU, USC & Emory. "

BC never has or never will be better than emory.. not even on its best day. Depending on the ops major it may also not be btter than NYU or USC... if the op wants to major in any business, art, perfoming art programs, USC and NYU are both better than BC.

"BC is usually harder to get into than NYU, Michigan, ND, Smith, USC, UNC and Emory."

Again not true... admissions at Emory, ND and Smith are all tougher than BC ... if the op is out of state, UNC is a lot tougher admissions than BC. Michigan is probably on par in terms of admission difficulty...NYU and USC can be tougher dependin on which school he applies to

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

again depending upon your major, neighboring boston university can even top BC in some departments

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

hold on let me take one thing back.. BC is probably tougher than smith

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

i got into boston college (early action), michigan, and usc (i'm from neither michigan or massachussetts or cali) and my decision is michigan. i chose michigan b/c it has a better undergrad b-school than boston college (although their's is also one of the best in the country). it was an incredibly tough decision for me b/c Umich & BC were my top 2 choices and i have always envisioned myself attending a private university but i just think michigan is more for me in many aspects.

i heard the social life at bc is pretty good, i know that if you take the T (the subway-like system) you're in boston and basically the location of bc is about as good as a college town gets. ann arbor - defineitly one of the best college towns, hands down. chapel hill is also a good colleg town. bc is an east coast school, which i think is another plus for a variety of reasons.

about usc, i really think that unless you're going into cinema, you should go to boston college over usc.

northwestern, university of chicago and georgetown are better universities from an academic standpoint. i've heard that there's not much of a "togetherness" feeling at Univ Chicago and that if you have options, such as the schools you've mentioned, you shouldn't go there for undergrad if you want a college experience/good social life.

michigan, boston college, notre dame, usc and unc have a ton of school spirit b/c of their sports teams. northwestern has a GREAT location, the city of evanston can be kinda cold to teh students, they historically have had a bad relationship but you take the L and you're in chicago and evanston's not a bad place either. it's beautiful & there's things to do in/near evanston. if you want a social life at NU, you should strongly consider joining a frat or a sorority or there's not much to do.

again though, it really depends on what department you're going into to determain the "best" college for you.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

for I1lmatics....from an overall academic standpoint, Boston College IS better than USC. plus, when you graduate, a BC diploma will do A LOT more for you than a USC one will accross the nation.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

a usc degree in business or anything performing art related holds a lot more weight than BC, especially if you are talking across the whole nation.

BC used to be a party school only recently has it concentrated it's efforts on academics.. the reputation is not yet where they want it to be, especially from a nation wide persepective.. it still has some to go to catch up to the other roman catholic schools (Notre Dame, Georgetown..)

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

a USC degree in business is not neccisarily better than BC! trust me. my father is a pretty big figure in the business world and he always told me that in major companies around the nation, they like BC grads (a USC diploma will help you greatly in california, however) But i will say that both schools have excellent undergrad b-schools, boston college's will help you more when getting a job. preforming arts - yes usc i think is better. but from an overall academic standpoint/prestige, it's bc.

i know a few people who go there, and i've heard that it's still a party school. usc obviously is as well. i agree that bc isn't at the level of notre dame and g'town.

By So_Pink (So_Pink) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

i think bc works better in the east, and usc in the west... people are familiar with the colleges within their costal areas i guess..
but i fit in niether area.. im from an island.. "rock" ..

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

bc helps you more on a national level compared to usc. and that's not an opinion.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

that is an opinion first off.. and i still think usc has a better national rep because only people in the northeastern area are fully aware about how serious BC has come with academics

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

bc has a better rep than usc.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

To be debating the fine points of reputation, selectivity and so forth among such a group of institutions rather misses the point IMHO.

For instance, how can one even begin to compare U Chicago to BC? The academic approach is completely different. Or Cornell? Country life versus city life...

They are all good choices with differences that may matter to some folks.

The OP was correct in asking how they differ, and received some good initial guidance. Can't we stick to extending that?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

It is very difficult to compare schools that are so differents such as Boston College and Emory. Both schools are very "hot" on the North East corridor. Though BC is more selective with only 32% of all applicants accepted as opposed to Emory's 40% and Emory accepts 53% of their Ed applicant which comprises 25% of their class, the stats on the kids who end up at Emory tend to be a bit higher. However this does not include the kids who are referred to Oxford College, a part of Emory where the stats are not as high. My son like both schools but ended up applying to BC not Emory simply because he did not want to be in the south.

As to reputation in the hiring world, well, it depends. If you are applying for jobs more in the NE, there are simply more people who graduated from BC or know people from BC or considered BC themselves. If you are downsouth, the opposite holds. Also since BC is a catholic school that can color the reputation, negatively or positively, depending on who is assessing the school. My husband who does and has done a lot of hiring says, that in his business, neither school would be an issue. But then again, the biggest issue for his work is what the kid has studied and how he comports himself. Though he might be skeptical about how much analysis someone might know from Southeastern State College, he would not be differentiating among kids in any of the known schools.

I think Chitown is right on the money when he tells you how close it is for these schools. How you feel you would fit in is a more important issue since not many people are going to be drawing fine lines. I had to look up the selectivity numbers--did not know them offhand. And few people are going to bother to do that.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

"I think Chitown is right on the money when he tells you how close it is for these schools."...i'm a she.

By Momofone (Momofone) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

but do you think majoring in economics > then onto grad school for mba/jd ... it would be better at tufts or usc? usc has the marshall school of business and a top ranked law school as part of the larger school.
Tufts does not....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page