Broadcast Journalism schools in FL

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Broadcast Journalism schools in FL
By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

anybody know of any good colleges in FL that specialize in Broadcast Journalism that arent impossible to get into.

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

UFL?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

In Florida, look at the University of Florida, Flagler College, U of Miami, the University of Tampa, the University of North Florida, Florida State University.

To be honest, however, competition for entry level jobs in broadcast journalism are so competitive, it really pays to go to a top-ranked school for this major.

The best schools in the US for broadcast journalism: Syracuse University, USC, Northwestern, Emerson.

By Musicalthtrmom (Musicalthtrmom) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:37 am: Edit

If you are researching schools for Broadcasting, I recommend asking if they have an internship program. Back in the dark ages (I graduated in '81) my school was not known for being a top BJ school, but DID have an internship program. I did an internship (no pay!) at a television station news department during the summer between junior and senior year. Because of that internship, I got a job with that television station when I graduated. I was one of only two people in the Mass Communication graduating class with a job lined up when we graduated. The other person was working in a tiny radio station in sales. I don't remember how many other people were in our class but it was probably dozens. Internships, internships, internships!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

Excellent suggestion Musicalthtrmom. Actually, that's good advice for any major: ask what types of internships are available so you can build experience and a portfolio. But particularly important for any type of journalism or communications major.

By Slayer (Slayer) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Carolyn, is UNC-Chapel Hill a pretty highly ranked school for Journalism? I don't know about Broadcast Journalism, but I think in general it has a strong journalism program. I think the school itself is nationally known but do you know if their journalism department is?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:14 am: Edit

Slayer, here are your best journalism schools nationally: Missouri (the first and the best), Northwestern, Syracuse, UGa, UNC, NYU, Kansas, for starters -- and on a less intensive but up-and-coming level for communications, Quinnipiac & Emerson.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page