Cons of some good schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Cons of some good schools
By Laceycheer (Laceycheer) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

I pretty much know the good points of the schools Im planning on applying to, but does anyone know of any information as far as Cons they think I should know?
here they are:
UVA
UNCCH
Dartmouth
Stanford (ha should i even ask for cons on this one?)
Wake Forest

By Ozmaweez7 (Ozmaweez7) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

UNC - 18% out of state - a lot of people will already know eachother, on the weekends (at least once every three/four weekends) these people probably go home - dont know from personal experience however - go to the unc board and put "unclocalmayor" in the title - hes a student there and can answer many questions

oh also - unc football is dreadful!!

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

they didnt use to be so bad a few years ago back in the julius peppers days

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

When I was in college more than 30 years ago, we put on a quicky revue during orientation for the freshmen who came after us. The subject was the schools we turned down to come to this college. It was quite hilarious--the parents were depicted as NY Jewish stereotypes with Mom in her fur coat and high heels. The family is visiting the schools that darling daughter has been accepted to. Bear in mind this was many years ago.

At Dartmouth, it's freezing cold even in April and Mama steps into a mud puddle. The New England folk at the musty, smelly hotel, the only game in town are reticent and barely say a word.

At Cornell, Papa get rebuffed in trying to meet the pre med staff that will be teaching darling daughter. It's raining and the fur coat gets soaked and smells. There are pre meds jumping off the ravine in droves.

At Columbia, the neighborhood scares Mama to death and they beat a hasty retreat.

At UPenn, Mama keeps mixing it up with Penn State and Papa does not want to pay ivy league prices for a school everyone is going to think is a state school.

At UVa, they meet the stereotypical "good ol' boy".

At Oberlin, they smell pot everywhere.

The refrain after each skit was "Certainly not the school for her, oh no."

By Hoping (Hoping) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

i hope you have the grades and scores for dartmouth. 12,ooo apps for 1000 spaces good luck

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Good luck finding an active social scene in Winston-Salem.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Stanford's town might be too small and quiet for you (palo alto). But San Fransico is right there. Besides that, Stanford seems pretty perfect.

Dartmouth is kind of isolated.

By Stanfordrulez (Stanfordrulez) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

I agree with Bunmushroom-- thats probably the only thing. But then again, I like that kind of environment... So... Yeah. It is perfect [Stanford].

By Haon (Haon) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

It's often hard to get into parties or get alcohol at Dartmouth at parties if you're a first year (generally you need to know a frat brother or have boobs).

Additionally, the D-plan often leads to periods of a year where you won't see any of your friends.

By Dartmyth (Dartmyth) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

The cons that I've heard of Dartmouth (or at least the major ones) are that 1) it is in the middle of nowhere (personally thats not a problem because I love to be outdoors, you know biking, hiking, rowing :)).

2) Driking is known to be the dominant social activity. (again not so much of a problem for me, I like to party, but don't need to drink... also I have heard that if you don't drink at all there ARE otherthings to do, very few I might add... but I do know that people go there who don't drink and still have fun.)

3) Its cold. (well I live in the cold now, so the shift won't be too shocking)

4)They have had some budget problems (ie. they tried to cut the swim team a while back, but the alums and students wouldn't let them) and so now they are considering other options, but the fanatical alums will stand guard for us. :)

thats about all I've heard. I'm going there next fall and I can't wait! everyone else I've talked to is equally excited. IMO there are WAY more pros than cons. But thats just me.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

here...read from the students themselves..

http://www.studentsreview.com/top_50_universities_ranking.php3

my top 2 schools are in the top 5..yay! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page