Military dependents

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Military dependents
By Erinvert (Erinvert) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

How many here are military dependents? I'm an Air Force brat. Also, if anyone knows where one can find the residency requirements for militray dependents for a few states that would be awesome.

By Erinvert (Erinvert) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I'm all alone.....come now there must be more military brats, speak up!

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

I'm an Army brat, but I can't tell you anything about residency requirements because I don't even know what they are. All I'm aware of is that I qualify as a resident in my current state (Florida) and in my "official"/original state of residency, California (this is all according to cousin, an Air Force engineer.) I too would like to get this validated, of course, before holding him to his words.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:07 am: Edit

Retired military here. I would suggest you visit the base JAG office. They should be able to help you figure out the residency question. I know that you must fill out a form to establish residency. I do not know how various colleges handle military children.

By Aquaholic (Aquaholic) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:13 am: Edit

Usually you can get residency wherever your military parent's home of record is and wherever you currently live, but only if you've lived there for longer than a year and one of your parents has paid income tax to that state. I think there might be schools with exceptions, but I heard that through the grapevine so it could be completely random and false.

I'm a Marine brat :) getting instate to VA through my mom and TX through my dad. Dual state residency is the least they can do considering we never get to live anywhere longer than 2-3 years!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page