Binghamton

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: Binghamton
By Andrewv (Andrewv) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Hi all... I recently was accepted as a transfer to binghamton university. I plan on going but have yet to visit the school. Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect. I've chosen this over james madison due to its psyc and concentration in applied behavior analysis. Does this school hold a good rep for graduate ad coms.... how is the area..... is it near any sources for outdoor activitity like hiking etc.. that's a hobby of mine. Thanks!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

You'll be in south central New York with access to the Adirondacks for some strenuous hiking. You can see pictures of the campus on the internet and it does have a solid reputation for getting students into top graduate schools (if you have the grades & test scores -- sound familiar?) -- The area around Binghamton is basically depressed, it being a formerly vital industrial area that's seen better days. However, kids that go there seem to like it and you will get a very good education at what is recognized to be the flagship of the SUNY schools.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

"Despite the fact that Binghampton trumpets itself as the 'Ivy League of the SUNYs,' some students are disappointed with the level of academic rigor at the school. One recent alumnus says that coursework is not demanding and that 'professors tend to give decent grades for the most minimal effort'. In the political science departments, for instance, the students report that they can recieve a B for almost no work. 'Skip the readings, make an uninformed comment in class once or twice a month, and write your final paper the night before, and you are guaranteed a passing grade. You hardly even need to read coherent sentences, much less proofread'."

--The ISI Guide 2004: Choosing the Right College

By Andrewv (Andrewv) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Oh those kind of comments don't bother me... because I know that I am going to far better school on all accounts here, when compared with my current school, sacred heart lol

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Try to visit. Like most state schools, the campus is not particularly attractive (lots of early 70's buildings) but it's not all that bad. Within an hour drive of Binghamton are beautiful places for hiking - the Catskills, central NY waterfalls, etc. If you have a car, you'll be set.

By Andrewv (Andrewv) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

oh i definetly will over my spring break next week (its about 3 hrs away)... also i don't have a car but that will be alleviated i think by the outdoor activities/outing club they have which has trips around ny at least from what ive seen... thanks a lot for all the info... is there anything else of note on campus that i may have missed... how is the art mueseum, mini mall, the union etc? thanks again

By Andrewv (Andrewv) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

I guess im just thinking things over.... what are people's opinions... is binghamton better than james madison academically? thanks!

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 12:41 pm: Edit

yeah definatly

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I agree. Especially for psychology.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page