SUNY Brockport

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: SUNY Brockport
By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 06:51 am: Edit

Hey! I am planning to apply to this university but I just was curious to learn sth more about it!! Plzzz...I would like to hear your comments about SUNY, and specifically about Brockport '? Is anyone currently attending it?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

what are your stats

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

sat1
1500 (800M, 700V)
sat2
800math 1c
760 math 2c...
not sure if taking some more..
still in junior year
high gpa
international student...applying for a scholarship
good essay!
few but strong ec!!

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

lol ok you are very misguided then.. suny brockport is not the school for you at all...its one of the more low rate suny's

why do you like suny so much? .. the best suny is probably binghamton and you are overqualifed for there as well

..if you like public universities there are much better ones in states other than ny

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Well, thanks a lot that you consider me overqualified...it is not that I like suny so much..I just wanted to hear some comments about this place.....cuz I am considering the places where I could apply during my senior year!..I need fin. aid...and I am an international....I found out that SUNY at Brockport has a very good merit based scholarship program for internationals making the education there quite affordable to me,and that is why I decided to consider it as a posible choice, but I wanted to hear some honest comments about this place first, preferably by someone who attends it, or at least has been there:)..I have to admit that you really doscouraged me..is it such a bad place?What do you understand by overqualification?..As for me, I am not dying to go to top 10, or even 20....ah I almost forgot.....a very close friend of mine is probably going there with similar stats...so i hope, at least he would like it!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

I concur with I1lmatics -- you and your friend are far too qualified for Brockport and can do much better -- I suggest that you try something like Tulane which will give you a merit based scholarship (Duke does the same thing) -- I don't know the policies about internationals, but you can aim higher than you are now.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

hey, guyssss...all I want is comments about the specific school...after all, I have not said that is the one.....after all I make the decision which place to attend....
anyway, thanks for you remarks....
still, anyone who CAN tell me sth specific about Brockport?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Either go on line or e-mail the admissions office. They'll tell you everything you want to know. Good luck.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Brockport is known mainly for its teacher education programs and is considered a "safety" school by many students applying to other SUNY schools. Here's some specific information on SUNY Brockport.

Average SAT scores of accepted students: 960-1140
Accepts 51% of applicants.
6,018 students, 43% are men, 57% women. 6% African American, 1% Asian, 2% Hispanic, 90% white. 1% of students are international.

On average, 75% of freshman return for sophomore year (low), and 29% graduate within 4 years.

Most popular majors: 12% are physical education and teaching majors, 11% business majors, 7% criminal justice and safety. 23% of students pursue graduate study immediately after graduation. Of those, 34% go on for a graduate degree in education, 5% go for an MBaA, 5% into law school, and 4% into medical school.

40% of classes have fewer than 20 students, 55% have 20-50 students, 5% over 50.

Brockport has 313 fulltime teachers but relies heavily on 290 part time teachers. Of full-time teachers, only 73% have a doctorate (low)
36% of students live on campus.

30% of students receive merit awards - the average merit award is $1700.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

With your stats, I'd suggest you look at the University of Arizona and the University of Michigan which both offer financial aid and merit scholarships for a high percentage of international students. You'd get a much better education than SUNY Brockport --- unless you plan on majoring in teacher education, then Brockport is a good deal.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

10x Carolyn...great infoo!!!
thank you very much againn!!!...

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

has someone been there??

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

I have. It's VERY cold and snowy with a long winter. Bring long underwear.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Thought of something else: I hope you don't think Brockport is anywhere near New York City. It is way up in the Northern part of the state, at least a six hour drive to NYC. The town of Brockport itself is pretty dead. In fact, it used to be that there were more students in the school than there were people living in the town. Don't know if that's still true but I don't think there's been a building boom up there recently The closest city of any size is Rochester which is probably about a 20 minute drive. There won't be much public transportation to Rochester though so unless you know someone with a car, you'll be spending most of your time on campus. Rochester is an OK city - but kind of economically downtrodden right now.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:27 am: Edit

Thanks Carolyn. I had an idea about the location of Brockport. another question: have you seen the campus? how is it? From what I saw, it looked really huge..and nice

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

does someone else have any comments about the particular school???
come on guys!I am curious...

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

does someone else have any comments about the particular school???
come on guys!I am curious...

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

ambii i dont undersatnd you have stellar stats

suny brockport would be considered a low 3rd-4th tier college in the united states. I could almost guarntee you 0 students currently attend that school with comparable stats to yours

if you like the suny system, look into suny binghamton .. it is the best college in the suny system by far

and i don't understand your comment about merit based scholarships for internationals, brockport is run by the same system who runs binghamton, with your stats you would recieve very generous $$ at either

is there any particualr reason why you want to go to new york? because like i said there's other states with better public universities that you could still recieve considerable money from

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

Bringhamton, as most universities from the SUNY system, does NOT offer any financial aid to internationals...unfortunately!..I am not settled about going to Brockport. I understand the school is not prestigious. It is just that I have no idea to what school I could apply, be accepted, and get a significant fin. aid (my finds are limited). SUNY at Brockport...offers the fin. aid that I need to continue my edu in the US.I know that there are other places, much better...but I am just not aware of them!I know that many ivy-s are need-blind for internationals, but the thing is that I feel I don't belong there (the ivy league)! all I want is a normal school that does not cost me much (my parents are not able to pay much)..I do not care so much if it is one of the best simply because I believe that success lies in the person, not so much in the school one is attending!!No matter what school I go to, I am pretty sure it is gonna be much better than the current situation in my country:)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Again, I suggest you check out:
the University of Arizona
Arizona State University
the University of Michigan

All three offer good financial aid for internationals but there are other choices out there as well.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I already checked them...don't know why but I don't wanna go to Arizona.....
anyway, I have plenty of time to come up with sth better

By Mahras (Mahras) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Ambii I would suggest ATLEAST trying for some ivy schools as they are need blind. I think you are underestimation yourself that you dont belong there. I think ur stats are hellva lot better than some people who apply to the ivies. Just a thought.

Again congrats for gettin such awesome stats.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

ambii u shouldnt settle for anything outside of the top 25

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Oh, my friend got in with a huuuge scholarship...i dont care what u say, but they have been really nice

By Fits123 (Fits123) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

I live near Brockport. It is a very small town of around 9,000 people. It is a decent school, but I would say that it is largely attended by students from the surrounding areas...I doubt a lot of people come to Brockport from too far away. But all that said, it is a nice, quiet school and Rochester is fairly close. Buffalo too. I can't comment much on the weather becuase I have lived in the area forever and am used to it. Long winters, but great falls and springs.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:04 am: Edit

thanks Fits123...how is tha campus??could you tell me something more about Brockport besides it is a small towns...i'd appreciate it..

By Vaio (Vaio) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

You're way too good for Brockport. That place sucks.

If money is a concern, look at SUNY Binghamton or Stony Brook.

By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Also Geneseo.

By Ambiii (Ambiii) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

xaxa.Vaio & Aparent4.take the effort to read my previous posts..it seems you dont understand anything..and in this case, it's senseless to post at all!

By Acennace (Acennace) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

AMBII - Who says Geneseo doesn't give scholarships to international? My sis is a frosh in Geneseo n she is int'l. She got half-tuition scholarship from Geneseo with stats considerably lower than yours. You don't have to be that pessimistic. You have THE stats.

By Acennace (Acennace) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

NiWAY... I can say a little about Brockport. A rep came to my school last year. The rep was really nice, although desperately looking for students to come to the univ. She gave my sis her email (at least I think so). She also said the univ was in "need" of international students and when my sister showed her marks (95% average), she said that my sis would get $6000 per year at least.

Now, about the university. The campus is in suburban area and it has approx. 6000 students.

I think this univ is your SUPERSAFETY and you should look to some other univs like SUNY Geneseo, Albany, Truman State, etc.

By Gradsmom (Gradsmom) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Checked out Brockport several years ago when my children were looking. I seem to remember the campus as rather disjointed (there is a railrod track running through it and a foot bridge over the tracks) and not all that attractive. I do know several people who have attended but mostly for the dance and phys ed programs which are decent. Academically, I would aim higher!

By Rudeboyrg (Rudeboyrg) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

I also got accepted to Brockport College. I have a previous bachelors in a different field and have been currently taking pre-nursing courses at a community college. My latest GPA was a 4.0
Excellent grades. I have been accepting to Binghamton unviersity and Brockport College for nursing.
Binghamton even offered additional financial aid that brockport did not. My decision? BROCKPORT.
I turned down Binghamton. I understand what many of you are saying. Brockport is a safety school and Binghamton is so much more prestiges, etc. But it is because of Binghamton's popularity and prestige, that I decided NOT to go there.
I needed to major in nursing. I needed to find a small college, in the middle of nowhere. A college that is not popular. A college where I don't have to compete with 20,000 other students to get the same course, or compete with 10,000 other students going in for nursing. A college where I don't have to sit in a lecture hall with 200 other students. A college so unpopular, that nobody with descent grades would want to go there.
Thats the college for me. Thats why I chose Brockport. Because in the end, the hospital won't ask me what college I went to? They'll ask me if I have a nursing license. Binghamton would just overcrowd me.
Brockport is the perfect college for me, because its small, unpopular, and uncompetitive. And I like uncompetitive schools. A school where a bright student would excellent grades like me, can flourish. Anyway, thats my reason for choosing Brockport over Binghamton. I start sept 2004.

By Rudeboyrg (Rudeboyrg) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

speaking of which, is anybody familliar with the nursing program at brockport and the pass rate for the NCLEX?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page