College SELECTION!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: March 2004 Archive: College SELECTION!!
By Jonathan0386 (Jonathan0386) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

I was accepted to the University of Iowa with a $25,000.00 scholarship...but I am waiting to get a decision about the University of Michigan...If I get accepted to both...what should I do? I originally had UM as my first choice...but now they are both my "first choice" (UI has done really good marketing)...lol..I was able to visit the UM campus and I liked it...I have not been to the UI campus..but Im almost sure I would like it..I also know someone at UM...They both have great programs for what I want to study...and they are both somewhat alike...any help? Any ideas on what I should consider to make a better decision? Sorry I posted 2 timed but I really need as much advice...

By Barrons (Barrons) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Iowa is a very decent school in a good college town. Not as good as Ann Arbor though. Is that $25k per year?? What major?

By Hoosierdaddy (Hoosierdaddy) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

Not enough info. What major? How much of a factor is the Iowa scholarship? How much of a factor is social life? Extracurricular activities? Traveling expenses, and so on.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

Wait until you hear from U Michigan. If you get an acceptance, and if you can afford to go there, visit UI again and do more research on both colleges before making up your mind.

By Mona87subway (Mona87subway) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I need HELP!!!! I am a junior, I have yet to even begin to choose colleges. I have done the best i can in school and in extra curricular activities. I have a 3.4 G.P.A and no idea what college i want to go to or what I want to be. Someone please help me in some direction!

By Celerystalksme (Celerystalksme) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

clown college...when it doubt, it's always clown college...

but seriously...what do think you might want to study? if you truly have no idea what to do...then, if your state u is decent, go there...

or maybe college isn't for you? i know some people that were quite bright in highschool...but opted to not attend college and are doing very very well...financially secure and happy with their career...

By Sammgc68 (Sammgc68) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Hah, someone at my school actually went to clown college. I laughed my a$$ off.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Mona, relax. You have plenty of time.

In a way, you're lucky - you don't have any preconceived ideas about what the "best" college is yet.

Start by visiting a few colleges that are within driving distance of your home. Go on the admissions tours at these schools. Try to include one large university (perhaps a state school), a mid-sized school, and a small college. These don't have to be the schools you'll apply to eventually - the visits are just to give you a feel for what you find most attractive about different schools.

After visiting a few schools, you should have a better idea of whether a large or small school is what you're looking for - and you may even find you have some preferences about things like type of dorms, on-campus activities, courses required for graduation, etc. Try to picture yourself at school - do you see yourself far away, fairly close to home, what type of people do you feel most comfortable with, what types of classes have been your favorite - both in terms of subject and teaching style.

Talk to your parents NOW about what they can afford to pay and whether you will need to apply for financial aid or take out loans.

Then, go to a site like Princeton Review www.princetonreview.com - they have a computer program that you can input your wants and desires and get a list of possible schools. Take this list with a grain of salt - get a good guidebook and start reading about schools. Visit a few more over the summer or spring break and narrow things down.

And, keep coming back here and asking questions - there are people from all parts of the country here so it's a good place to get suggestions. Just remember that there is no "perfect" school out there - but there is one that you will be happy at if you spend the time and effort to think about YOUR wants and needs now.

By Jonathan0386 (Jonathan0386) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Ok...I am planning to do a double maajor in Communication Studies and either Political Science or Pre-Law..UIowa is giving me 25 THOUSAND to attend...I still have not heard from UMichigan....I was able to visit UM over the summer and I did like the campus. Overall I am looking for a school with good academic, lots of social activities if you are not into the whole "party" thing every weekend...I heard UIowa has an excellent reputation in communication and writing...UM is good in everything from what I hear..so...there it is....Any ideas?

By Wygbe (Wygbe) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

i am told that iowa is number one in the country in creative writing - ahead of all the ivies and similar schools. i was first told this by my son, who was a writing major at ucsd. i was next told this by my former english professor at stanford - who said iowa's writing program was clearly the best. so if writing is your interest, you might factor that in.....

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I, too, have heard wonderful things about Iowa's creative writing program. It's also a mecca for excellent writers.

By Hoosierdaddy (Hoosierdaddy) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Communications and Political Science? Well, you can forget Michigan. Iowa has better programs in both fields. And yes, Iowa is known for its top notch English program and creative writing programs.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Jonathon,
I see in US News & World Reports College Guide that 10% of undergrads at Iowa major in communication, journalism, and related programs. It's actually U of Iowa's third largest major. And, as others have noted, Iowa has reknowned programs in English and creative writing as well. Their social sciences - including political science - are also strong. You may have more opportunities for your interests there, although U Michigan's communications program isn't bad either.

But, ultimately, you should go with the school where you feel you'll be most comfortable. Trust your instincts. Have you visited U of Iowa?

By Jonathan0386 (Jonathan0386) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

No I have not visited UIowa (thats my worry) I plan to order a video tour to have a better idea...Although msny people say it is similar to the UM's campus...and Thank YOU ALL for your advice and comments...Any more are welcome!

By Jonathan0386 (Jonathan0386) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Sorry..I forgot to mention...I called UM regarding my app and they told me that they will not be making a decision until April or so.(sucks)...I decided to send the housing app to Iowa just in case I DO go there, I have the chance to get somewhat of a decent dorm..

By Barrons (Barrons) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I think Iowa has a nicer campus than UM. Wise move to send in the housing app.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page