UCSD vs. UCLA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: UCSD vs. UCLA
By Kavehdr (Kavehdr) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

Hi, I am a California Community college student with 4.0 GPA and planning to transfer to either UCLA or UCSD for next fall (Computer Science major). Could someone please give me some insight on choosing between the 2 schools? Appearantly UCSD doesn't offer any scholorships to transfer students or at least I couldn't find any. UCLA has the Regents Scholorship I think which seems to be very good but they only give it to 100 students every year (4.0 GPA plus a whole bunch of other requirements!). One problem with UCLA would also be the higher cost of living at dorm for me. In terms of computer science departments also, which one is better? I know UCSD offeres this BS/MS combined degree which you can get your MS with 1 extra year and you don't need to take the GRE. I don't think UCLA offeres this which is a bummer. Any ideas?

Thanks

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

Keep in mind that housing is limited at UCSD after freshman year - check to make sure that you could even get space in a dorm there. Most upperclass students move off campus and housing in San Diego is very expensive (and you will need a car to commute if you can't live on campus). However, it is a great school for computer science. You might also check out UC Irvine for computer science - excellent programs.

By Kavehdr (Kavehdr) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I live in San Diego, so commute and a place to live wouldn't be an issue. I am just wondering if UCLA is worth to give up UCSD and go there?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

Both are excellent schools but in my mind UCSD has a slight edge in computer science - especially if you plan to do the combined BS/MS program.

By Berkcogsci (Berkcogsci) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

UCSD does have a slight edge in cs. They have a particularly diversified and rigorous course list in cs as a result of their commitment to interdisciplinary with computational modeling in biology. (in the event you can have diversity).

You don't like Berkeley ;^(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page