Above Average looking for engineering school

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Above Average looking for engineering school
By Nudicles (Nudicles) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

I'm not an outstanding student, but I would say I'm above average. Here are my stats:

3.89 GPA

1320 SATs
670 math
650 verbal

Full IB Diploma (Candidate)
Scores so far:
6 in Math
6 in Spanish

Extra-curricular
Soccer team (All 4 years)
Key Club (jr, sr)
National Honor Society (jr, sr)

What schools do you think I should be applying to? So far I'm looking at Stanford, Univ. of Michigan Ann Arbor, Uinv. of Washington... Stanford is a bit farfetched I know, I just thought I'd throw it in as my "dream" choice... I know I can do better on my SATs, atleast a 1400 or so, but my counselor told me if I don't get into Stanford etc. it won't be because of my SAT Score. Will my lack of extra-curricular hold me back?
Any other suggestions of good engineering schools that fit my profile? I haven't run into many private schools that have appealed to me so far. I live in Portland, OR, and would like to stay somewhat local to the west coast, but of course am willing to travel.

Any tips appreciated,
Paul

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:23 am: Edit

I'm not sure why your counselor thinks the problem is not the SATs. Most engineering schools hone into that number, especially the math. Many want to see the SAT2 maths as well. I suggest that you apply as early as possible to your surrounding states' state schools because of rolling admissions and engineering spots tend to fill up fast. Really crack the books on the SATs, It is possible to bring up the math on your own but still check out a testing company or a tutor. Look at Santa Clara U, Seattle U, Pacific U as well as the big names. Colorado School of Mines, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Tech, Northrop U, South Dakota School of Mines and Tech are some specialty schools. My feeling is that you might prefer a balance of engineering and liberal arts and small is probably better, more nurturing. I personally believe that engineering is the toughest curriculum for undergrads really at any school. And at the tough schools you get kids who are really two years into the program, they are so advanced in the math and sciences. I have seen kids with really high scores wash out even as they were studying hard, unlike some majors where kids drop out from lack of study habits, desire, laziness, etc. So nurturing might be the way to go. I am not as familiar with the west coast schools , but what I have given you are what have come to mind. Good luck, study hard, and look for some research or project oportunities. Look at www.admissions.com for some really good test raising advise and some personal insights to Stanford, and the role of research programs. Those would be your most fruitful activities along with keeping those grade up high and getting that IB diploma (usually an automatic top score on curriculum difficulty for any college). Good luck.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:30 am: Edit

Some others to consider: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Colorado, Arizona, Gonzaga. Across country: Purdue, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Bradley, Case Western, Florida Tech, Iowa State, North Carolina State, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Auburn.

By Nudicles (Nudicles) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I do plan on taking the SAT's again, in just a few weeks. It's probably a bit late for any kind of tutoring, but I'm pretty confident I can raise my math atleast 50 points or more. I neglected to take the SATs very seriously last year, which was obviously a mistake.. I don't plan to repeat this year.

Although I would probably prefer a smaller, private school setting, I still haven't found too many appealing local ones, especially any that excel in the computer engineering field (sorry I forgot to mention that I'm aiming specifically for computer engineering). So the main two schools I'm looking at, at the moment, look like UW and Michigan. My counselor told me that he's pretty confident that I'll be accepted to UW (although the out of state acceptance rate is quite low). Does Anyone have any specific input to these schools?

On top of those schools I mentioned, I also ran across USC... a more difficult school to get into, would I have a chance? Also, how is the environment? Obviously being in the middle of compton is a bit intimidating...

Thanks for all the input so far.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Michigan engineering is very difficult to get into from out-of-state (it is also difficult to get into from in state; admission to engineering requires significantly higher grades and test scores than admission to other schools in the university) . Washington I just don't know. USC is worth the shot of an application as you are at least within its range of scores. Others can speak to its environment although the one person I know that went there loved it.

By Nudicles (Nudicles) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Oh, one more quick question...

Would I just be wasting my potential EA applications if I tried to go Single Choice EA at Stanford? I realize I most likely won't get in, but it'd be nice if I could atleast attempt to get a little bit of an edge on the application...

Wish they offered regular EA. Oh well.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page