Admissions based on essays

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Admissions based on essays
By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Could anyone recommend schools where the caliber of your writing is more important than grades/scores in terms of admission?

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I honestly don't think there are ANY schools that will weight your essay more than your grades/scores/ECs. Keep in mind that an applicant to Harvard with mind-blowing, amazing, out of this world essays will be rejected if he has a 2.0 GPA and 1100 SAT. On the other hand, someone with amazing stats (scores, recs, ECs, transcript) isn't likely to get rejected even with a mediocre essay. Essays aren't looking for good writers (necessarily). They want good students.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

therearen't any, but some look at essays and weigh them more than other colleges. for ex, i hear brown's like that

By Jase1348 (Jase1348) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

well are there any schools that could be blown away by well written essays and or supplementary materials if the applicant wants to be a writer?

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

University of Chicago comes to mind. But that could all just be silly rumors.

By Skyelr (Skyelr) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

i've heard that eugene lang is like that, if you're at all interested in going there.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

Lets put it this way. If your grades and scores put you into the average applicant/slightly below average applicant category, then if you write a really good essay that can swing the balance towards your admission. I would reccomend you read "The Gatekeepers" a book about the admissions process at Wesleyan University and pay attention to one of the applicants named Jordan (I can't remember his last name) he had below average stats but he sent in a stellar essay and supplemental writing. I won't tell you what happened but you can see how he fared at Wesleyan and other schools such as Brown and Vassar and see how the adcom at Wesleyan reacted to his application.

By Haon (Haon) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

UChicago in particular puts a lot of weight on essays.

By T2opine (T2opine) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Well it certainly isn't the only factor, but I think Duquesne puts a lot of weight on the essay.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page