Communication/Publishing-Editing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Communication/Publishing-Editing
By Srhurz (Srhurz) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Anybody know of East Coast schools with particularly good Communication depts with depth in Publishing/Editing? Many programs don't even offer courses in this area. Our daughter is interested in magazine/book editing and would like a program that encourages internships. Any advice? She would love NYU but it may be well beyond her academic reach. She is a junior with a solid 3.5 GPA and strong extracurricular.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I'm a freelance magazine/book editor and writer. I'm not sure there are many degree programs specifically for book publishing, but a solid journalism/communications program should offer plenty of class work on editing skills - even though the classes may not be labeled as "editing" classes. I attended Syracuse University's Newhouse School which has a degree specifically in magazine journalism that would provide the skills necessary for working as an editor down the road. Many Syracuse alumni work in the book and magazine publishing industry. Boston University would be another possibility.

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Carolyn- I'm interested in becoming a book editor, but I have no idea how to approach that. Right now I go to USC, and am planning on switching to a communications major from business. Is there anyway I can become an editor (or get hired) by being a comm major? I really don't want to be an english major and read dull, impossible books from the 1400s. Or is there any other major I can take to become an editor? Thanks!

By Srhurz (Srhurz) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:40 am: Edit

Carolyn,
Thanks for your input. BU and Syracuse are schools that have been mentioned before, so you have validated that. Any knowledge about internship opportunities while a student at either Syracuse or BU?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

Srhurz - Syracuse has good internships and lots of connections in NYC for summer internships but, as at all schools, students have to take the initiative to take full advantage of opportunities. I don't know much about BU's internships but it should be easy to find out by asking someone in the communications school there.

USachicka - Communications is a terrific school at USC and will be looked on very favorably by employers. If you eventually want to get into book editing, I'd suggest you either minor in English or take as many english classes as possible. To get your first job right out of school, the most important thing is to do at least one internship - USC should be good at placing students for internships but ask anyhow.
For editing, it's really important to have excellent writing skills so try to build a portfolio that shows you can write well. Be forewarned: most entry level "editing" jobs in publishing will involve mostly doing proofreading, so brush up on your grammar skills.
I took a different route and worked in marketing management for many years before switching over to writing as a freelancer for magazines. From there, I began editing for different publications and publishers. Although my concentration at Syracuse was advertising/public relations, the program focused intensely on writing, editing, research and journalism skills. Those skills have been invaluable throughout my career.

An aside: Jeannie, if you read this - I received your email but my reply to you came back saying the email address you used was not valid. Please contact me again using a different address.

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Thanks so much for your help! I actually like proofreading- the thing that made me want to be an editor was seeing errors in books and just being so annoyed by them! That's basically what I thought editing was, but I guess that wouldn't be the extent of it. I guess I can major in Comm, minor in English, and take any business or public relations classes that I can fit in ( I was thinking before that I'd minor in business). Thanks again for your help.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

USachicka - Remind me to give you a call the next time proofreading a manuscript gives me a headache! : )

A minor in business - especially one that concentrates on marketing - would be terrific. I went back to school years after getting my undergrad degree in communications for an MBA and it's a very marketable combination. Good luck!

By Ivieriffic (Ivieriffic) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Carolyn-
I'm a freshmen at Syracuse University and am going to attempt to do an interuniversity transfer into Newhouse next year. I am very interested in doing layout/design for a magazine, and possibly writing for one. Would it be better to choose a magazine major or the graphic artist major? what is the job outlook for this sort of major? Thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page