UCs - do you have to be in the top 10% of your class?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: UCs - do you have to be in the top 10% of your class?
By Reba616 (Reba616) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Looking through US News, I saw that almost every UC had 95% or more of its applicants in the top 10% of their high school class... is this true? Is there anything more to it than I'm seeing? I just find it hard to believe that that many kids could be in the top 10% of their classes.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

which one do you want to apply to?

for UCR and UCSC i would think top 25% would be sufficent if you have anything over 1200 (maybe even anything over 1100) on the SATs, or youre involved in a good amount of EC's.

for UCI and UC davis i could see someone top 20% getting in if they have over 1200 SATs and decent ECs.

but for UCLA, UCB, and UCSD, unless youre a minority, top 10% is a must. they have very competitive admissions, considering UCLA and UCB are top25 schools.

then again, it all depends on what your high school is like. for a school with 600 kids in the graduating class, being ranked 80 isnt all that impressive. but if you were in a small school with only about 50 kids in a graduating class, you could get into UCI or davis being ranked 15th.

i'm no authority on the subject, but i've been researching UCs a lot since i live in cali--so i have some knowledge.

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

And then, I guess Asians are not counted as minority since there are so many of them...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page