Most beautiful campuses!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Most beautiful campuses!!
By Becks777 (Becks777) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

hi,
i just visited northwestern and i was just amazed by its beauty!!!........a ridiculously gorgeous campus...situated on lake michigan with an exhilirating view of downtown on the otherside of the lake.....
Just wondering.......which other colleges have such beautiful campuses?

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Lots of LAC's are supposed to have gorgeous campuses. I heard Vassar is beautiful.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

wats lac?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

wats lac?

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

liberal arts colleges

and nice ones i have seen are:
columbia
harvard
yale
brown

those are freaking beautiful

then also NYU i loved NYU greenich village rocks, thats just my input

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

William & Mary has the most gorgeous campus I've ever seen. Williams, Swarthmore, Ithaca, Colby, Bowdoin, Haverford, U of Richmond, Holy Cross, Colby, Stanford all get top marks. James Madison is great as is UVa. Princeton Review Top 300 book lists schools with the most beautiful colleges and the ugliest.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:54 am: Edit

Rhodes,in Memphis, without any question is the most beautiful I have seen. I've seen Rice, Tulane, Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan-Ann Arbor, Notre Dame, College of Charleston, Citadel,Loyola, Marquette, SLU, William & Mary.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

Williams, Cornell, Princeton

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

anybody know about the UCs and thier campuses?

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

dont always listen to princeton review books, they said mits campus was ugly, and i thought it was very nice

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

UCLA campuses are very open and their buildings are spread out across the huge campuses.

UCI is really nice, very green. If you love the suburbs you'll love the campus.

I personally didn't like UCLA's, but I know a lot of people who do. Theres just too much construction going on, and the grass is dead and yellow. The buildings are nice though.

I've heard conflicting things about berkeley from friends who have visited. Most say they don't like the campus or the surrounding city, but a few loved the campus.

Those are the only three I have direct information on.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:17 am: Edit

The Princeton Reviews latest "Best Colleges" book has information about this. Holy Cross, Williams, Stanford, and University of California-Santa Cruz (UCSC's campus is quite nice! a lot of the buildings I saw were new or renovated...really impressive) have really gorgeous campuses. I mean, they have people dedicated to cleaning and grooming the campus almost everyday. The construction/design is beautiful as well. Definitely look at the Princeton Review though.

By Freak4korn72 (Freak4korn72) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

Everyone keep telling me that Purdue is amazing. Granted I havent been there yet for my visit (though I have been accepted.. funny)

By Jaybert (Jaybert) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

http://www.eggroll.org/cornell/cornellcampus

Those are some pictures I took of the Cornell campus a week or two ago. It's of West/Central campus. I haven't gotten a chance to head over to North campus to take any pictures, it is definately the prettiest part of campus. There is a lake on-campus not to mention waterfalls and alot of other beautiful scenery.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

UC Santa Barbara is supposed to be beautiful. Santa Cruz is nice and I hear SanDiego as a city is tops--don't know much about the campus.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

The University of San Diego (not the UC but the private school) has a gorgeous campus with spanish mission style buildings, tall palm trees, and a view of San Diego's mission bay. Pt. Loma Nazarene College, also in San Diego, has a beautiful campus as well - its buildings were built in the 1920's on a cliff directly above the Pacific ocean. Another school with a beautiful view of the Pacific is Pepperdine in Malibu, Calif.

I don't care much for UCSD's campus - it has beautiful Eucalyptus trees but the buildings are all kind of modern concrete square. UCSB's campus is in a beautiful location but again, the buildings are just standard modern buildings.
The UCSanta Cruz campus, however, IS beautiful, set among towering Redwood trees.

I haven't been there yet but have heard glowing comments about the University of the Pacific's campus - it's supposed to combine the best of an "east coast campus" feel with California weather.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

About UCLA
" grass dead and yellow"........yeah thats what one would expect in a hot city like LA
I so hate hot sweaty weather!!.........wonder why people are crazy about summer

By Ughstinkysocks (Ughstinkysocks) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

UNC.... its the best... unlike emory and georgia tech, it is flat with no hill climbing.. the westher is really nice....

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

whoa Jaybert your Cornell pictures are awesome. who WOULDNT wanna go to college there? it makes me remember my visit this summer

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I visited wustl... amazing.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

oh...yeah wustl is pretty cool...and stlouis is the best!!!
but uptil now.....of all the campuses i have visited( virtually all in the midwest)......northwestern by far is the best....it just stands out from the others

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Is Michigan State pretty? I applied but I have no visited, how does it compare to Indiana University?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Yeah..michigan state is pretty good...except for the fact that it was freezing cold when i went there ...and i havent visited indiana and neither am i applying there

By Haon (Haon) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Williams, Cornell, Princeton and Middlebury are the most beautiful I've seen.

Swarthmore and Carleton also have very nice campuses.

I've heard Stanford has a nice campus.

WUSTL has a nice academic campus and a not-so-nice residential campus.

Personally, I think Yale has a nice campus as well (although it's definitely a different kind of nice...and it's in a pretty lousy city).

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Duke is incredible. It looks a lot like Princeton with the addition of Loblolly pines, magnolias, formal gardens and its own 8000 acre forest. It also has a Robert Trent Jones, Sr. designed golf course.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 08:32 am: Edit

Prettiest I've toured - Wake Forest, UVA, Davidson, Duke, William and Mary, Furman

Unbelievably green, manicured lawns and Georgian architecture - Wake Forest

Outstanding gothic architecture and lush gardens - Duke

Best overall symmetry of design - UVA

Beautiful fountains, lake, and lawns - Furman

Well-maintained lawns and attractive buildings - Davidson

Colonial architecture, great "old" feel - W and M

By Arcadia (Arcadia) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit

Duke, Princeton, Middlebury, Colby

By Dolce (Dolce) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

ughstinkysox--you find UNC flat?! Do you mean Chapel Hill? Oh my gosh, I was absolutely worn out touring that campus with all the hills. It was hard to tell if it was pretty or not--it was totally under construction everywhere you looked--big ugly orange constructions fences everywhere and one could hardly even get from place to place, because everything was blocked off.
We found Wake Forest infinitely more beautiful.

By Jnorsky18 (Jnorsky18) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Tufts, and Princeton

By Pistolpete (Pistolpete) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Yea, Tufts is gorgeous. I think Georgetown is, too.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Georgetown has a breathtaking quad but otherwise there was a lot of construction when we were there and the buildings seemed crammed together.

I don't think of UCLA as brown and yellow at all...and vast expanses of the campus are quite pretty.

Best campus we visited was Smith...postcard gorgeous on a Spring day.

Most underwhelming was NYU.

By Gadad (Gadad) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I've been in college administration for 26 years, so I travel on business to a good number of campuses. Visiting campuses is also a hobby that I do for pleasure. Acknowledging that my biases are for brick and wooden architecture (rather than stone gothic), tall trees and green lawns, and that I'm rating only the campus (not its natural setting), here in no particular order are the five most beautiful that I've seen - Wake Forest, Furman, William & Mary, Dartmouth, Stanford. Obviously, I haven't been everywhere; by mere reputation I'd expect that Cornell, Denison, Rhodes, and (believe it or not) Brooklyn College might be on my list once I get there. If I was counting natural setting I'd consider the U. of Colorado for its mountain backdrop, but giant megacampuses have trouble competing with smaller, more coherent campus layouts on my list.

By Haon (Haon) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I was extremely dissapointed in Dartmouth College when I visited. The buildings all seem fairly run-down and you cannot see the mountains from the campus. Despite its reputation, I found it to be one of the least beautiful colleges I visited (among Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst, Middlebury, Princeton, Yale, Carleton, Wesleyan and Oberlin i thought it was significantly less beautiful than all but possibly Wesleyan, Oberlin, or Amherst).

By Realitycheck66 (Realitycheck66) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:25 am: Edit

UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO. Visited 11 Northeast colleges last spring and found none as gorgeous as the University of Colorado, which, ironically, seems to have a Eastern look to it. For consistency, virtually all buildings -- old to very new architechtural styles -- are red/orange sandstone buildings with red tile roofs, many ivy-covered. Expanses of GREEN lawn and trees. Pathways cut across campus. A small lake/pond with a bridge. Huge football stadium yet quiet pockets on campus. Dorms range from '50s traditional three-story U-shaped, to '20s courtyard-style dorms, to 20-story apartment-like dorms a mile away. Dramatic mountains can be seen from campus and are within walking distance. Well-kept,three-story brick and stone Greek houses, some with little "moats" and bridges running across the front yards, are 1-2 blocks from campus. Houses/apartments near campus range from '20s bungalows to more modern apartments. It's not a small LAC in terms of "personalized education," but if you're looking for the offerings of a large (24,000) university, this one is stunningly attractive.

By Sammileah (Sammileah) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

All the Ivies are gorgeous (purposefully i suppose hehe) but i really loved princeton- i stayed there this summer and was blown away!

By That1aznguy (That1aznguy) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:45 am: Edit

University of NSW: Sydney... I was there this last summer, thinking about studying abroad. No not a woman. Oh.. you meant in the states? My college, Cornell.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 08:56 am: Edit

When we toured Wm & Mary, all of the flora were in full bloom and it was like spending the day in botanical garden. I fell in love with the old beauty of the campus.
My son was in misery. He had a pollen allergy that is pretty mild and seasonal. And we have lived in citified areas where there just have not been the abundance of flowers. He immediately had full blown severe allergy symptoms and had trouble breathing. He would definitely need shots in that environment. I spoke to an alum in our area who confirmed that a lot of northerners have that problem upon setting foot on campus in August/September and that we were fortunate touring the campus during that season and discovering this first hand. A lot of people look at the campus before the pollen count is full blown and don't realize the extent of bloom. They find out on move in day. UVa, not too far away did not have the same horticulture and he did not have that problem. He goes to a school in a city now and has no allergy issues at all. Not an item that I would have thought was a consideration!

By Wisconsinguy (Wisconsinguy) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

Dartmouth, Carleton, Princeton, Yale.

By Driver (Driver) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:09 pm: Edit

We only looked at the northeast, and saw a lot of schools including all the ivies. Williams and Cornell were our favorites as far as beautiful campuses go (daughter ended up choosing Williams and is there now.)

By Allison (Allison) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:14 pm: Edit

bowdoin.

By Bada1712 (Bada1712) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Northwestern is my personal favorite. But McGill in Montreal is absolutely beautiful, too.

By Antigone (Antigone) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Vassar is the most beautiful one I've seen so far. I love the gothic architecture.. let's see. I've heard Kenyon has a great campus. I'm visiting that in a couple of weeks. Do you think it's incredibly vain to only apply to the colleges with beautiful campuses (or at least in your opinion?) Personally, if I went somewhere that reminded me of my ugly high school, I'd rather stay home.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Anyone have an opinion about Bryn Mawr?

By Hoosierdaddy (Hoosierdaddy) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

The New York Times ranked Indiana University Bloomington as the most beautiful campus in the world. I've been to every BIG10 campus and would say that Indiana Univerisity and the University of Wisconsin stand alone on top. Northwestern would be third. Every building (except one) on the campus of Indiana is comprised of Indiana limestone, the same stone used in the construction of the Empire State Buidling. The buildings are gothic and the campus is very wooded in parts. IU is a must see.

By Lisangel (Lisangel) on Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Anyone been to Skidmore and/or University of Vermont? What are those campuses like?

By Uofmich05 (Uofmich05) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

MICHIGAN. i don't want to turn this website into everyone just talking up their own campus, but Michigan has an amazing looking gothic law school right on central campus. Plus UofM is right in the center of a "top ten places to live" city, and there are plenty of parks around. Also, Ann Arbor is one of, if not the only, cities in the U.S. where marijuana is decriminalized. Always a plus.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page