I need to find safety schools!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: I need to find safety schools!!!
By Tsuriken (Tsuriken) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

ok...
this is the poop on the scoop.
I am an international student who graduated in a small international school in Guatemala. (korean by birth though) My GPA is about 3.6, and my SAT score is (lets just say its going to be 1450). I was wondering if anybody in this forum knows any good safety liberal arts schools. Location and size does not really matter. I am having a hard time finding a safety school because I am just relying on usnews.com and people have told me how unreliable that rank is. In addition, I need financial aid, I can only afford about $15,000 per year. Please help me since I'm getting all paranoid.

By Sarcasmgirl (Sarcasmgirl) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Princeton Review's Counselor-o-Matic is pretty good. It let's narrow down colleges according to location, size, type, etc. and also tells you which ones are reaches, matches and safties.

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 04:34 am: Edit

how many people use the "counselor-o-matic"
hehe...thanks for the link Sarcasmgirl, but I'm a little skeptic since it listed Swarthmore as a safety.

By Mstee (Mstee) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 11:44 am: Edit

My son tried the counselor-o-matic and it listed UCSD as a safety, which is pretty funny also. However, it did suggest a couple of interesting schools that he hadn't thought of as matches, and he is looking into those. Look at the good state schools, they are probably within your affordability range, even with out-of-state tuition. Take a look at University of Minnesota. What are your interests? There are some great "unknown" schools out there with good programs. I never see Concordia College (Moorhead Minn) on any lists, but it has a stellar music/choir program, and is more affordable than similar schools. This country has so many possibilities . . .

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

The University of Redlands, in Southern California, is a good school and offers financial aid to international students. The College of Wooster, in Ohio, also offers financial aid to international students and is an excellent school.
Trinity University in San Antonio Texas has a huge endowment fund and is supposedly very liberal with its financial aid.

With your stats, you'd likely get a merit award as well at all three schools.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

academic interests? proposed major?

By Carmen (Carmen) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

i'm also looking for a safety, but for a classical voice major. i would like a school with more than the average music department.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page