Fairfield University

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Fairfield University
By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:30 am: Edit

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about Fairfield U. My counselor told me about it, and it seems like a great school, but I need more info. Thanks.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

It's a small liberal arts college, located in the suburbs. I know of a couple people that went there, they seemed to like it. I think the student population is between 5-7 thousand? I'm really just guessing, because I can't quite remember. Decent school though.

By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Thanks. Do you know anything about the political/religious atmosphere there?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Well, it IS a Catholic school - but it's a Jesuit school and the Jesuits tend to be fairly liberal.

According to the Kaplan Guidebook: "At Fairfield, the Jesuits strive to offer an education that is both theoretical and practical. As such, students are treated to a wide variety of research and internship opportunities coupled with a demanding core curriculum...While not well-known outside the Northeast, Fairfield is "up and coming" insists a Mass. guidance counselor...The business programs are excellent as are biology, nrsing, English and religious studies...In keeping with the Jesuit tradition of active service to the world, many undergrads travel to Central/South America to help develop self-sustaining enterprises for host countries- as a result the school boasts many Fulbright winners...every qualified junior or senior is guaranteed an internship in his field of study...Many intern at Fortune 500 companies and high percentages of Fairfield students are accepted to med and law schools...Relations between the community of Fairfild and the student body are tense...residents of Fairfield Beach were able to pursuaded the admin. to enforce tougher penalties for students' off-campus drinking, loud parties, and other offenses...the campus is generally considered safe...Although the school has increased its multicultural enrollment from 3 to 10% the campus remains overwhelmingly white ... most hail from the Northeast...students here tend to be Catholic and preppie with a focus on community service...when they aren't studying Fairfield students party. Students head to houses on the beach to drink and have a good time"

Undergrads - 2900, 50% Men 50% female, 80% live on campus, Freshman retention rate 90% (very good), # students applied: 7128, accepted 3504, enrolled 832, SAT V range 540-630, M 550-640 Av Hs GPA 3.6

By Momofsenior (Momofsenior) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Fairield U. is in Fairfield, Connecticut, which is a very pretty, wealthy suburb about 45 minutes away from NYC. The town is on Long Island Sound (though not the part that the school is), so there is a town beach. It has about 4,000 students and the campus is pretty. I would think that the students would be on the conservative side and there would not be a lot of diversity, but I don't know that for sure.

By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Thanks everybody, it's been really helpful.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

its a very strange place. the kids at fairfield prep hs, right next door, all wears sweaters and play lacrosse. it is a very strange school to even kansans. everything is too perfect and filled with too much money. i wouldn't recommend it to anybody in the middle class or well anything but the rich kids who WANT to drive beamers, buy yachts, have cocktail parties, and kinda sorta graduate. dunno, my opinion

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page