Debate team --- the only team?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Debate team --- the only team?
By Worth2try (Worth2try) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

My high school has an excellent debate team (national level) which I would love to join...but they said that we can't be on a sport team if we join it. Does your school does this? It really upsets me, I am very athletic and somewhat good in basketball, and will probably make the team. I am a freshman by the way. Also, if teams meet everyday afterschool, then I will have to miss club meetings, right?

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

At my school, you can be on sports & debate. Debate doesn't have that many mtgs. Of course it's a lot of work, but it's up to you to meet w/your partner & practice w/others on your own (as opposed to at official mtgs).

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Pick one to stick with. It's the *commitment* which counts. I balanced Violin, a sport, and Debate freshman year. Something had to go after that-- and the sport went, though I wasn't bad at it. I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

That said, I would go for debate. I'm not biased, really! ;)

By Worth2try (Worth2try) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Thx for the replies. Okay I am gonna try out for basketball and then if I dont make it I am gonna do debate next year if they let me.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Well, if your school's debate team is on the national level, then I'm assuming that you really WOULDN'T be able to balance debate with a sport. From what I've heard, teams on the national circuit are so hardcore that it consumes every part of their lives.

By Worth2try (Worth2try) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Yeah, it's pretty good they said. Besides being one of the best schools in NYC, my school is very known for the girls swim team champs and an excellent debate team. I guess that makes sense that we will not be able to play a sport as well as doing debate. I think everyone should play some kind of sport though in high school.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Or you could be thankful that your school has a debate team in the first place. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page