Boston U. one rank behind my state school?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Boston U. one rank behind my state school?
By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Did anyone here attend a Boston U. presentation in your area. I attended one last night in the local Hilton (East Brunswick, NJ). If you did attend, what did you think about it? I liked what I heard and saw, but I just can't get out of my head the fact that BU is almost 40 grand a year and is one rank behind my state school, Rutgers, which is MUCH cheaper. Should I just go to Rutgers, or...? I'm confused. Should I even bother applying to BU if I get the same education and pay so much more?

Note: I know some of you despise the rankings, but I can't help but wonder.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I saw the presentation last year, and was impressed. It was better than some of the other school's presentations, like Cornell... what the heck are they, the party school of the Ivies? Their ads are too obviously attempting to be hip... anyways I'm applying to BU.

And rankings aren't that important. They change for really no reason, except to sell a new year's version.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

BU is over rated, save your money unless you are absolutely dying to goto school in Boston. That's just my opinion at least, you'll get just as good and maybe even a better education at Rutgers and you will spend a lot less money. It depends what you are looking for in college.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:41 am: Edit

Ahhh, I'm still torn. I would love to go to school in Boston but NOT if I get the same (or better) education at Rutgers. I guess I should start focusing on my major. Anyone know which one is stronger in bio, specifically neuroscience?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:12 am: Edit

For undergrad, both schools are on the same level I think. It's really not that wise to choose BU over Rutgers. If you are going to spend $40k, you might as well choose a more prestigious institution.

If you REALLY want to go to school in Boston, try applying to Boston College and Tufts. You can also try Harvard, MIT, and Amherst College if you have close enough credentials for admission.

There are some other schools that are really good in Massachusetts, but unfortunately, they arent in Boston. You can still go ahead and apply to BU however. Maybe BU may offer you a pretty good financial aid package, which "may" make the cost similar to, or even better, than what you would end up shelling out towards a Rutgers education. Besides, Rutgers can be tough to get into too, so having a viable alternative isn't so bad.

But if it comes down to choosing, and BU still ends up being much more expensive despite the financial aid package, then you'll just have to go to Rutgers. Unless you don't mind spending much more money.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

I agree, Ksolo.

In BU's Financial Aid brochure, a chart is provided with minimum SAT scores, family income, the chances of aid, and how much aid. My chances of getting $28,xxx (I forgot the exact figure) are excellent, or so they say. That means I'll have to shell out about 10-12,000 more. This is all including room and board too. Rutgers, with some financial aid, should come out to be a couple thousand cheaper, or so. The best bet would be Rutgers, I think, but I'll apply to both and see the packages I get.

I dropped Tufts because their strict core curriculum turns me off, and Boston College isn't great for the sciences. The others you mentioned are entirely out of my league.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

I take it you aren't that interested in a liberal arts based education, right? I didn't hear about BC not being great for the sciences however. The thing about the future is that, during college, there's always a chance you might become "disenchanted" or "uninterested" in the sciences. And if that happens, what will be your alternative subject to pursue? At Rutgers and BU, it's a bit harder to figure out what you would like to do if that happens, because they don't force students to take a class in every field. So that's why I'd recommend a program like BC, Amherst, Tufts, even Holy Cross, which is 45mins to 1hour away from Boston. If BC isn't so great with the sciences as you say, I surely know for a fact that Amherst, Tufts, and Holy Cross more notably, have truly excellent science programs that are some of the best in the country.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

I think a well-rounded education is important, and there was once a time when my list of schools was comprised only of liberal arts institutions. However, I chose to go with the big universities because I'm a musician (singer) and I thought universities had the best combination of sciences/music/music facilities and opportunities, although some liberal arts schools fit this profile as well (such as Oberlin, for example). I don't mind core curriculums, as long as they aren't rigid (as I heard Tufts was... are you able to clarify this?)

I didn't hear BC didn't have a great science program. That's an opinion I formed on my own while researching. Everyone seems to speak of the humanities at BC and nothing about their sciences. I'm sure their science program is good, maybe even very good, but I think Rutgers and BU may be better. You're absolutely right about possibly wanting to change my major later on, but I highly doubt I'd dip into the humanities (social sciences are ok though, especially psychology). Hence, I'm looking into a biopsych/neuroscience type of program.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

I am familiar with both schools and their locations. In real estate, they say that the 3 most important factors are location, location, locaton. Even if you can get a great financial aid package from BU, it will be much more expensive living there than in that part of NJ. That is even if you are not going to college. But the atmosphere, the culture, the cities do not compare. There is an opportunity cost to living in any major city. All of this is aside to the quality of a degree program but is an essential consideration since you will not be living in a classroom. You most likely will have to shell out more to go to BU and you'll have to decide if it's worth the premium.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

That was a nice summary. Thanks Jamimom.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page