Best Universities in Asia that offer Asian Studies.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Best Universities in Asia that offer Asian Studies.
By Jtwothree (Jtwothree) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Hey guys,

WE're are moving to Singapore/Hong Kong next year, because of my dad's work. I'm planning to take a degree on Asian studies. But I'm not familiar with the SouthEastAsian universities. Asiaweeks' guide was so antedated.
I'm considering Singapore, Phillippines, Malaysia or Thailand.
What are the universities in those countries that offer best Asian course.

thanks

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:37 am: Edit

Do you speak the languages of the countries whose universities you are considering?

Hong Kong University teaches in English, but is fairly difficult to get into. National University of Singapore also teaches in English. In Thailand, universities instruct students in Thai. I am not entirely sure about Malaysia.

Bear in mind that the universities that do teach in English - in the Commonwealth - tend to be organised along British lines, and shy away from teaching trendy subjects like 'area studies'. HKU does offer a degree in Japanese Studies, but it is language intensive and would more properly be called a Japanese Literature degree.

By Kimfuge (Kimfuge) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:46 am: Edit

Hey, go to South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore...they're the most regarded countries...or perhaps you can go study @ Beijing since buisness is booming there. I know only good Korean colleges that accept international students: Seoul National University (the best and if you can get a degree from here you're most likely to get good jobs at places like Samsung, and most likely get any pretty chick in korea also), Yonsei University, Korea University, University of Foreign Studies, and KAIST-enjineering school (the best in asia).

By Anothersuitcase (Anothersuitcase) on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

No doubt the University of the Philippines (better known as UP) teaches in English. Ateneo is also a highly regarded college, though smaller in terms of population, I believe, than UP. I don't know how either schools' Asian Studies departments are, but you can be sure any university or college in the Philippines teaches in English.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page