Help me choosing between UPENN and Columbia

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: Help me choosing between UPENN and Columbia
By Xtheonex (Xtheonex) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I want to major economics, mathematics, and/or statistics at college. I narrowed down my choice to Columbia or UPenn for Early Decision.

Which one offers better programs in theses areas of studies? Which one offers better overall opportunities- considering that Columbia is in NY and UPenn has Wharton?

AND do most people consider a degree from UPenn equivalent to that from Columbia? If not, which one is more respected?

I would appreciate any input.

By Xtheonex (Xtheonex) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Plus, is Columbia much harder to get into than UPENN? (On US NEWS COLLEGE RANKINGS, The acceptance rate for Columbia is twice lower than that of UPENN. However, the acceptance rate for ED applicants are the same) Also, do more accomplished applicants apply to Columbia?

By Jje (Jje) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

one is not harder to get into since they are looking for different things. I would choose Penn, I feel they can open more doors.

By Aparent (Aparent) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I don't think it matters that Penn has Wharton unless you go to Wharton, and you need to apply there if you want to go. Visit their website to see their programs. They are project-oriented and quite different from anything offered in a liberal arts program, including Penn's. Wharton is very tough to get into, tougher than Penn's other schools and tougher, I think it's safe to say, than Columbia ED. I would choose Columbia over Penn for a liberal arts program because I like the neighborhood much better and NY offers amazing opportunities. However, Wharton is an entirely different animal. I think in order to make a decision you need to zero in on the kind of program you want first.

By Xtheonex (Xtheonex) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Strong math and statistics program is very important for me. So, I should go for Columbia? I don't have any specific goals yet. Not entirely sure if I want to go enter the world of business.

By Xtheonex (Xtheonex) on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

anyone else?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page