An odd criteria...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: An odd criteria...
By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:58 am: Edit

I want a school that has a good library that is open 24/7. Or that is willing to give me the keys to the library building.

I want a school where the students actually love to learn and to learn compulsively and diversely. Not just a school where the engineers go into the engineering school and come out blinking in the sunlight after four years. Not a school where the theater majors couldn't speak a foreign language if their lives depended on it, where the business majors can't recognize the moonlight sonta, wherepeople don't bother to read reacreationally and study abroad and all those other important things.

...any ideas?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

Sounds like a liberal arts college might be right for you. Try these: Oberlin, Kenyon, Whitman, Dartmouth, Amherst, Williams, Bowdoin, College of Wooster, Grinnell, Carleton Macalester, Bates, Lawrence U. Some of these schools do have libraries that are open 24 hours a day.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Other LAC's on PR's top libraries list include Dickinson, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Wesleyan and Bucknell. Hours undetermined but a place to start...my D was very impressed with the Smith library.

Smith has that kind of cross-fermenting academic atmosphere you're talking about. Look in the Parents Forum, the "College Visits" thread (the original, not II-IV). I put a post about our visit to Smith in there.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Tufts has a library which is open from 8 am to 2 am on weekdays, and a quiet study area open until 6 am.

Try looking for a school with a rigorous and varied core curriculum, which forces students to learn foreign languages, take fine art classes, learn to write at least decently, and know some math. As a less accurate assessment of intellectual environment, look at schools in which a lot of students double major, especially outside of their primary fields. In the case of Harvard, this is not accurate (H doesn't allow that kind of double major) as they have very extensive core and distribution requirements.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page