*Rewarding matches for Transfer Student* in language, human

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: *Rewarding matches for Transfer Student* in language, human
By Skyelr (Skyelr) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

WHEW--- i just wrote up this (somewhat verbose but hopefully clear) profile of myself and my educational goals... i did so both for my own benefit and because i desperately desire your insight. nobody in my family has gone to college and the counselors at my school are rather drab and fruitless. PLEASE respond if you have ANYTHING to say! i much appreciate it!

who i am:

skye. female, florida resident, 18 y/o.

i will be a TRANSFER STUDENT.

/// prior college ///
i'm enrolled in my 5th semester at a community college.
i've completed 47 semester credits and should have 59 by december.
i have a 3.7 gpa --- mixed a's and b's (nothing lower than a b; we don't have + or -).
i've studied intro courses in most general education categories + photography and foreign language.

/// EC stuff ///
my school doesn't offer much for clubs. i've joined student government. i work part-time as a pharmacy tech along with school and full time in the summer. i was a significant contributor to a teen poetry anthology two years ago and did book-signing/promotional events at bookstores around the state. i read a lot of books, speak intermediate-type french and spanish, design websites, and i've tutored some friends in basic french.

/// high school ///
i had a minimal high school experience (i.e., i was almost entirely truant until i turned 16. i learned a lot of things on my own, but nothing official.) i have a g.e.d. (with good scores, for what it's worth). i took the SAT I test once when i was 16 and got a 500M, 680V. i don't consider it of very much consequence since i've done 2+ years of college.

my ideal college:

/// must-haves ///
the school should be generous in awarding credit to transfer students and have very good grant-aid. these are necessary because i've spent over two years in college already and come from a government-assisted, single-parent family ($0 efc).

/// educational goals ///
i am most interested in developing strong critical thinking skills and thoroughly exploring ideas through discussion (in- or outside of class). i would like to be introduced to new things, challenged, and stimulated at every turn. i'd prefer a college experience that is fruitful, a school that emphasizes real creative and productive output rather than lists of courses-taken and test scores.

/// major ///
i'm STILL somewhat undecided about my major, perhaps because it never will fit in a box. thus i'm very interested in interdisciplinary options and loose curricula. my interests center mostly language [linguistics, creative writing(poetry/nonfiction), and world literature] but i have a thirst for history, political theory, and anthropology to fill up the hollow spots of language alone.

/// geography ///
my preferences for location are somewhat contradictory. ideally --- a small college with residential life in a big, cosmopolitan city --- but realistically, geographic location is not a priority at all. i'm open to living anywhere in the country (and outside it, if i could afford it).

/// students ///
i believe that a collection of interested, interesting students is probably any college's best resource. as you know, authenticity, talent, and enthusiasm are infinitely superior to SAT scores and hollow EC's. a college that recognizes this and a student body that reflects it would be fantastic! i'm also really interested in a cooperative, relatively familial atmosphere.

/// other stuff ///
+i believe my best asset to be writing, so a college where writing skills are very important in the admissions stage would benefit me.
+i'd appreciate good opportunities for internship/foreign study
+and a thriving cultural environment.
+prestige would be nice, but not necessary. just a good place. :)

+THANK YOU SO MUCH.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

Have you looked into the New College of Florida? www.ncf.edu
It's a state school but smaller with very liberal requirements - attracts students who are interested in learning and engaged in their education. It sounds like it would be a good fit for you and since it's a Florida state school, you'd have the maximum chance of having all of your credits be applied. You'd also pay in-state tuition as well and your college gpa would qualify you for a merit scholarship for transfer students.

Similiar to the New College in feel is Evergreen State College in Washington State.

If you're looking for a more "traditional" school, you might look into Kenyon College which has an excellent english/writing program. If you're not opposed to an all-female school, look at Smith, Mt. Holyoke or Hollis University in Virginia - all have good programs in your area of interest.

I'm sure others will have more ideas. Good luck.

By Skyelr (Skyelr) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:08 am: Edit

bump? :(sorry.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 08:26 am: Edit

--BUMP--

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I realize that this is late, but Sarah Lawrence, the college I'm in currently, puts a huge emphasis on writing and familial atmosphere. Each one of my final projects has been 25-30 pages, and all classes are seminars. There is a lecture requirement, but those are only 40-60 students. Unfortunately, the people here aren't my type, and I'm not challenged enough, so I'm transferring. But you might want to check it out, especially if you're a really weird person.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page