B.S. in Computer Science

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: B.S. in Computer Science
By Kavehdr (Kavehdr) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Hi everyone. I am transfering next year to either UCSD or UCLA as a junior and my major is Computer Science (I have a 4.0 GPA). I have been hearing all these bas news about computer science and how people who graduate from it, don't make much money, so I am becoming really concerned and lost! I definitely like the major and am also very good at programming. Some poeple suggested to me to get and MBA after my B.S. in computer science so that I can maybe qualify for management positions and make a more decent salary. Can comeone please give me some input on this matter. Am I throwing away my life by investing it in computer science?

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

Honestly, it doesn't matter what your major is since after graduation, it's unlikely that you'll be making much money regardless. This is because of the economic recession, and second, you would be a new graduate. So for the first official job, without much previous professional experience, companies are not going to offer you much in terms of salary.

The computer industry is very shakey right now because of the economy and other factors. I wouldn't advise you to go for an MBA directly out of college because the odds are very against you gaining admittance. For graduate school MBA programs, they usually want at least 2 years of professional work experience, if not more. Although they do take a few students directly out of college, such a student must show exceptional potential.

You aren't throwing your life away at pursuing Computer Science. If it is something that you really enjoy doing, moreso than other subjects or occupations, then stick with it.

Pursuing a Masters degree either in CS, or business, etc, would be nice as well. The salary you can demand will rise. You can go for an MBA eventually if you want, but you'd have to work a couple years first, and then apply. In the end, do what you will enjoy doing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page