School for ballet and social work

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: School for ballet and social work
By Momx4 (Momx4) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

My daughter's friend is looking for a college where she can major in both ballet and social work/counseling. She had wanted to be a professional dancer for many years, took ballet since she was 3 years old but has come to the realization that her body type and size will prevent her from realizing her dream. But she is a serious dancer and wants to continue dancing, perhaps as a major, in college. She is interested in ballet/pointe, also has a background in jazz, tap and modern, but prefers to study ballet, possibly wanting to teach it one day. Her other interest is in counseling, would like to major in counseling or social work. Her SAT's are around 1000 but she is taking them again and mid 20's on the ACT. She is willing to go anywhere in the US, any size school is okay. She is currently considering University of Utah and Indiana University at Bloomington but would like to find more schools with a good ballet department and also offer courses in counseling. Any suggestions? Personal experience would be helpful.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:12 am: Edit

Check into Meredith College in Raleigh, NC. The dance program is exceptional, and it has the social work/counseling area covered, too. Meredith is the largest all girls college in the Southeast. Even though it is all female, males aplenty are right up the same street at NC State University. Also, her SAT's sound like they are probably fine for Meredith. I toured Meredith with my daughter (also a dance lover) last spring. It is a lovely, nurturing environment and is ranked the safest campus in NC (I think).

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

Arizona state has both social work and a dance department - check if they have ballet.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Another option: UNC-Greensboro has strong programs in both areas.

By Momx4 (Momx4) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions, Parentofteen an Carolyn. We will check into Meredith, Arizona State and UNC-Greensboro. Please let me know if you come up with any more to consider. Knowing the girl very well, I think she would be happier at a smaller school, or at least a small program than a large one. Another restriction- many schools we have looked at require three sciences, she only has two (both lab sciences) since she pursued a dance curriculum in hs. Otherwise, she has the required/recommended courses for most colleges.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:04 am: Edit

You might also suggest she check into Goucher. I know they have a good dance department and while they may not have a social work major per se, they do have a decent sociology department. It's a good, smaller school near Baltimore. Another suggestion might be some of the women's colleges, in particular Smith.

By Aparent (Aparent) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:15 am: Edit

Smith has good dance and an MSW program. Not sure what role, if any, undergrads can have in it.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

A male friend just got his Ph.D. in social work at Smith. I'll try to ask him about undergrad presence and opportunities in the department. Longtime readers of this board know that I'm very high on Smith and it *does* seem to be a good LAC with good dance. Fwiw, I don't think they require three years of hs science.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page