What is a good college to major in dance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: September 2003 Archive: What is a good college to major in dance?
By Ladyslim17 (Ladyslim17) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I am searching for a good college to go to and major in dace. Becuase I want to become a dance choreagrapher when I get older. Please get back at me asap! Thanks

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

The North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem is a possibility. It has both a high school program and a four-year college program.

During the summer months, NCSA hosts a five-week program for high school and college students in these areas (you choose just one): dance, visual arts, filmmaking, drama, and music (instrumental, piano, choral). Auditions are required for the dancers and are held all over the country on different pre-scheduled dates. If you are unable to make an audition, you can send in an audition video. It is a fantastic opportunity to see how you like the place. Many famous actors, dancers, filmmakers, artists, and musicians got their start at NCSA. By the way, if you live in NC and are accepted there for high school, it is tuition-free - paid for by the state of NC.

My daughter is also interested in dance, and she actually attended NCSA for a summer session in piano after her sophomore year in high school. She advanced so quickly that summer that it was almost unbelievable!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Barnard is outstanding...you have the resources of all the NYC dance companies right at hand and there are terrific teachers there. D took a class from Allegra Kent when she was visiting Barnard.

UC Irvine is very strong on the West Coast.

Dance Magazine has an annual college round-up that's quite extensive. What kind(s) of dance are you interested in: ballet, modern, jazz, folk/ethnic?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Goucher in Maryland also has a good dance major.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

Skidmore in Saratoga Springs, NY has good dance and was the only school I've found that offers a pas de deux class if you're inclined in that direction.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 09:08 am: Edit

Another good school in NC is Meredith College in Raleigh. It is the largest all girls college in the Southeast and offers several different degrees within the field of dance.

By Parentofteen (Parentofteen) on Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

And yet another NC possibility: UNC-Greensboro.

By Ladyslim17 (Ladyslim17) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 02:42 am: Edit

I am interested more in hip-hop

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page